Heads Up… better stay tuned to S Africa news re: variant

3Shelaghs

I heard that news this morning and immediately thought of all the people whining about why cruise lines are still requiring testing, etc.

This is a sad but accurate example of why it's important that the entire world gets vaccinated.

This variant is because of the low vaccination rates in those countries.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, maryann2 said:

This is bad.

Seems that 61 passengers tested positive from 2 flights detained in Amsterdam from SA.

This does seem bad , I wish I had a crystal ball to see ahead in two months . I think we’re going to have to cancel our cruise in Feb .
Or can one of you positive minded optimists on here talk me into keeping my booking 🙏 

3 hours ago, maryann2 said:

This is bad.

Seems that 61 passengers tested positive from 2 flights detained in Amsterdam from SA.

I think we need to wait and see what the severity of the infections are. There are discussions out there saying that while more transmissible, its truly much more mild. If so, this is a good thing. However people will need time to confirm this.

• Like 5

On 11/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, shirley valentine said:

I’m already torn about traveling to cruise port with PCR requirements from Canada in February  ,and now todays new variant news !  Ugh 😩 Decision time ! 

We cancelled our Caribbean cruise departing at the end of January a few weeks ago. We'd rather wait until safer times when we have freedom to sightsee at the ports without restrictions and not to have a port we really wanted to visit be bypassed. Our friends are on a European river cruise now and I feel sorry for them with Christmas markets and various countries shut down.  

Things seem to be going from bad to worse.  Who knows if we'll have to reschedule our Panama Canal transit from Seattle to Miami next October again?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shirley valentine said:

This does seem bad , I wish I had a crystal ball to see ahead in two months . I think we’re going to have to cancel our cruise in Feb .
Or can one of you positive minded optimists on here talk me into keeping my booking 🙏 

I'm a pragmatic optimist.  Don't wanna talk you into anything because everybody has different tolerances for uncertainty and risk... but FWIW, here are some thoughts/questions:

For the time being, if a final payment deadline isn't imminent, it would be worth a wait-and-see -- unless you don't have an appetite for the suspense of what comes next.

If the Omicron variant poses a real danger, wouldn't the CDC pressure or force cruise lines to do the cancelling? You might not need to be the one to initiate the cancellation. 

If you did cancel after final payment, would your cruise line refund your $ or would it get tied up in a credit with the cruise line?  Could you live with the $ being tied up, or is it a deal-breaker that you've got to have a full refund?

• Like 2

I did not cancel my March 2020 trip to California until Friday March 13th. I  was  even crazy enough to book another option on March 13th which I then cancelled March 14th.

I booked March Break 2021 but then cancelled in November of 2020.

I would not cancel until the last possible moment, knowing that you are going to get your money back or at least a FCC.

If things are shut down again because of this variant you aren't going to lose money.

I even got my money back from the Queen Mary musuem in Long Beach. It went bankrupt over Covid and the credit card company gave me back my money.

• Like 1

We are still planning on sailing on our Jan 20, 2022 cruise.  The new variant won't sway our decision unless more restrictions come into play.  Our final payment date is Dec 21 so my guess is by then we will have a better handle on what will come of this.  

• Like 1

This is a good attitude to take at this time.  Give the medical and scientific world a chance to get a hold of it, study it, and figure out if current vaccines are sufficient to protect us and contain it.  Obviously we have to be aware of the situation and be ready to take the necessary steps as they pan out, but I agree with the cruiseamm and try to be a bit more optimistic. 

• Like 2