Purchasing CHEERs online?

valandemmy

Normally when we get the cheers package we just purchase it when we get on the ship (pay taxes on drinks purchased while in port) and start having fun.  I was going to go ahead and purchase it while making my booking this time because they were offering a percentage off, but I noticed in the fine print it says "does not start until second day of cruise".  I have never noticed that before and have certainly used it previously on the first day of the cruise (when purchased on the ship), so is this something new or is it because its purchased online?

we are cruising out of Galveston so not sure if it is related to that.

Thanks for any help

16 minutes ago, valandemmy said:

Normally when we get the cheers package we just purchase it when we get on the ship (pay taxes on drinks purchased while in port) and start having fun.  I was going to go ahead and purchase it while making my booking this time because they were offering a percentage off, but I noticed in the fine print it says "does not start until second day of cruise".  I have never noticed that before and have certainly used it previously on the first day of the cruise (when purchased on the ship), so is this something new or is it because its purchased online?

we are cruising out of Galveston so not sure if it is related to that.

Thanks for any help

It is BECAUSE you are sailing out of Galveston, and the goofy Texas liquor laws we have here. New York State has the same non-sensical laws. 

34 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

It is BECAUSE you are sailing out of Galveston, and the goofy Texas liquor laws we have here. New York State has the same non-sensical laws. 

The policy in NY only applies to Carnival.  Norwegian has their drink package in effect from day one.  I assume that the difference is that Norwegian doesn't officially enter the drinks until they hit international waters. The Galveston nonsense is in effect on both Carnival and Royal.

Don't know what NCL does out of Galveston since they are not there at this time, but I will find out in person come next Halloween when we do an 11 day repo cruise from Galveston to Miami on the Prima.

57 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The policy in NY only applies to Carnival.  Norwegian has their drink package in effect from day one.  I assume that the difference is that Norwegian doesn't officially enter the drinks until they hit international waters. The Galveston nonsense is in effect on both Carnival and Royal.

Don't know what NCL does out of Galveston since they are not there at this time, but I will find out in person come next Halloween when we do an 11 day repo cruise from Galveston to Miami on the Prima.

We will expect a full report and review on that repo cruise! :classic_wink:

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

We will expect a full report and review on that repo cruise! :classic_wink:

I think that the Prima will be a game changer for NCL just like the Mardi Gras is for Carnival.  Besides the repo cruise, I have a B2B booked on her in February/March of 2023.  Once she sails and first hand reports come out, the prices could exponentially increase.

21 hours ago, valandemmy said:

Okay.  Thanks for letting me know.  I will probably still end up getting it lol..

Just so you know, you are not charged until the 2nd day, so nothing is in effect until then. Some people seem to think they should still be able to get sodas on day 1.

I had the Bottomless Bubbles package on Horizon over Thanksgiving out of Miami.  As soon as we were onboard, I ordered a diet soda and was shocked to see a charge for $0.21.  I said that I had the beverage program and the bartender explained that until we were out of US waters (at least home port, don't know about other US waters on a port of call), they had to charge local sales tax.  Bummer.  Once we were underway though, no more charges.  Just FWIW

On 12/3/2021 at 9:08 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Well, I would phrase it more as a case of Carnival chooses to interpret and implement the law their way, and the other lines choose do to it their way.

In theory (I suppose) Carnival could offer up the drink package on Day 1 in NY and TX, they'd just have to put a disclaimer that beverage choices may be limited due to tax stamp requirements affecting offered inventory, and possibly charging a higher price to offset the higher costs.

5 hours ago, wgeddings said:

I had the Bottomless Bubbles package on Horizon over Thanksgiving out of Miami.  As soon as we were onboard, I ordered a diet soda and was shocked to see a charge for $0.21.  I said that I had the beverage program and the bartender explained that until we were out of US waters (at least home port, don't know about other US waters on a port of call), they had to charge local sales tax.  Bummer.  Once we were underway though, no more charges.  Just FWIW

It's for all embarkation ports out of the US and also if you stop at any US ports while cruising, such as Key West, Port Canaveral and San Juan.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's for all embarkation ports out of the US and also if you stop at any US ports while cruising, such as Key West, Port Canaveral and San Juan.

At least until Carnival puts a ship in Delaware or Oregon, states with no sales tax.

2 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

This is why we will never take a cruise out of Galveston when you can start the party with Cheers included as soon as you get on the ship just a few hours away in New Orleans.

If you need to embark from Galveston, you can cruise on NCL or RCI and their drink packages start on day one.