Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

I cancelled our March break cruise this morning.  Final payment was due next week, just can't see how it could happen at this point.  So sad, we've really been looking forward to this, DD would finally be double dose vaxxed and we thought we would be okay 😞

1 hour ago, krista42 said:

I cancelled our March break cruise this morning.  Final payment was due next week, just can't see how it could happen at this point.  So sad, we've really been looking forward to this, DD would finally be double dose vaxxed and we thought we would be okay 😞

I have until Feb 18th to cancel our AI to Mexico. I will wait to the very end but nothing is going to change 😞

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Did they give a reason why they canceled?

we have a August Norway cruise and than Arctic transatlantic book with RCL book

NCL didn't cancel the cruise, we cancelled it. Well before paid in full date so able to get our deposit back. We aren't comfortable going all the way to Europe to do all the testing, only to have one or more of us have a positive along the way. Plus I want the full experience in all the ports as this is my first trip back to Europe since I was 17 and my husband and kids have never been outside of North America.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I have until Feb 18th to cancel our AI to Mexico. I will wait to the very end but nothing is going to change 😞

We were supposed to go to Cancun (Dreams Jade) for march break. Cancelled last week 😞 Full refund on the hotel, credits back into our WJ travel bank, sigh. Extended the expiry of our travel bank to the end of 2023 at least lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bcwife76 said:

We were supposed to go to Cancun (Dreams Jade) for march break. Cancelled last week 😞 Full refund on the hotel, credits back into our WJ travel bank, sigh. Extended the expiry of our travel bank to the end of 2023 at least lol

Did WJ automatically extend your travel bank credits? We’re thinking of canceling our cruise and booked our flights using travel bank credits which expire in Mar 2022. 

We were scheduled to cruise 10 days on Enchanted Princess Jan 19.   Way past final payment date.  
 We really need a vacation.  If we stay home "on vacation" we do chores, deal with kids doing university at home and pets, still cook & clean. Not a break.  

Been a long two years workwise and homewise with no breaks and hubby's phone and email buzzing 7 days a week.  On the ship we put the phones in the safe and he tells clients "sorry middle of the ocean somewhere".  At home clients figure every day is the same during covid so weekends and holidays and vacations don't matter, same with kids and pets.  🙄 

For all the obvious reasons, we decided to take advantage of Princess' current offer of rebooking January departures without penalties, moved our trip to late March.   

Our TA is still working out the details with Princess on transferring the payment from Jan cruise to March one.  We are hoping for a small refund as price is a bit lower on next cruise.  Not sure how that will be given to us yet.  
Also the current sale includes one more perk than the prior one did, so right now it appears we are ahead.   We''ll see how it all comes out when its fully done.  TA said Princess is backlogged and it will take time.  Our TA had to phone them to deal with transferring the Princess Platinum insurance part- she couldn't do that in Polar, and from our emails, she got it all done in less than an hour.   So her "on hold" time wasn't more than 45 min, maybe less.  She didn't say and I didn't ask.  

Air Canada gave us one free change and the prices for March that we got thru the change were same as what we paid for January.  Lower than what is offered as a new booking for the same dates so we didn't have to pay any extra.  

So we've kicked the can down the road and we'll hopefully be able to take a vacation in March.  We have Princess Platinum insurance so cancel for any reason gives 100% FCC always. If not, we'll use our cancel for any reason then.   

I'll update with specifics on the pricing changes once everything is final.  

• Like 7

You and spouse DO need to take a vacation. Hopefully it turns out to be the rest you both need and crave. If it ends up cheaper than the one you cancelled, even better. Enjoy your time away in March.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I bought cancel for any reason insurance so we have lots of time to cancel our March cruise.  I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst.  We also booked an AI for the week before.  Same with that. 

• Like 1

We are still hanging in there and planning on going on Jan 20.  We actually just managed to secure bookings for our booster on Jan 11.  We have been keeping a close eye on the status of Enchantment and thus far the itinerary is on track and there have not been mass cancelations on current sailings.  Who knows how that will be by our sail date.

28 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I bought cancel for any reason insurance so we have lots of time to cancel our March cruise.  I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst.  We also booked an AI for the week before.  Same with that. 

When I booked with Air Canada Vacations in May they had a flexcare/flex plus option for free.

It allows full refund up to 21 days before travel and full travel credit up to 3 days before.

I would not have booked any other way, since I was really screwed over in march of 2020 trying to get money back from all the places I had booked for our trip to California.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

When I booked with Air Canada Vacations in May they had a flexcare/flex plus option for free.

It allows full refund up to 21 days before travel and full travel credit up to 3 days before.

I would not have booked any other way, since I was really screwed over in march of 2020 trying to get money back from all the places I had booked for our trip to California.

We lucked out March of 2020.  We cancelled our flights but were able to get credits.  We were able to use most of them in September. 
We also had the option to get all our money back for our cruise or get extra FCC.  We opted for money.

I think I did mess up with one flight, from Dominican to Houston where we will sail out of Galveston. It was booked through credit card points and we may lose that if we have to cancel, but overall the trip is pretty flexible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doberwoman said:

Did WJ automatically extend your travel bank credits? We’re thinking of canceling our cruise and booked our flights using travel bank credits which expire in Mar 2022. 

Yes they did. Cancelled online (through the app actually) and checked the new expiry date of our WJ credits after it was done. Two more years.

• Like 2

For anyone cancelling or considering cancelling their vacation, take a look at this article.  It is an interesting read:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/less-panic-warm-weather-among-some-of-the-reasons-why-canadians-are-travelling-to-florida-1.5727395

We recently returned from a Christmas cruise aboard the Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston.  We stayed one night pre cruise in Galveston, one night in Galveston post cruise then stayed in Kehma for a night before returning to Mexico on Dec 31st.  I had a PCR test on Monday as per our protocol at work to return to the office and it came back negative.  All the while we maintained our mask wearing indoors, distancing as much as possible and frequent handwashing.  The feeling of having some normality to life was uplifting.  Don't be afraid to live.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Magicat said:

For anyone cancelling or considering cancelling their vacation, take a look at this article.  It is an interesting read:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/less-panic-warm-weather-among-some-of-the-reasons-why-canadians-are-travelling-to-florida-1.5727395

We recently returned from a Christmas cruise aboard the Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston.  We stayed one night pre cruise in Galveston, one night in Galveston post cruise then stayed in Kehma for a night before returning to Mexico on Dec 31st.  I had a PCR test on Monday as per our protocol at work to return to the office and it came back negative.  All the while we maintained our mask wearing indoors, distancing as much as possible and frequent handwashing.  The feeling of having some normality to life was uplifting.  Don't be afraid to live.

We had a similar experience. Cruised at the start of Omicron, and even with all the protocols, testing and masking (which is second nature for us now anyway), while on the cruise for that 10 days, it was the least we thought about Covid or even mentioned Covid over the last  2 years. 

6 hours ago, Veinless said:

Don't know if folks saw, but Royal Caribbean is now permitting full refunds for cruises booked through end of January 2022, per the travel agent here: 

Hope Celebrity does the same!

I hope so too! Have a sailing Jan 24 that we won’t be taking but have waited to cancel hoping for a refund instead of FCC. Might have to call my CVP tomorrow. Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magicat said:

I’m sorry if this shows up twice. I posted and it disappeared. 

We traveled to Tennessee in September and had very much the same experience. At the time, they had the highest cases per capita. 

However, We are still considering whether or not we will take our March trip. We may do all or part of it. Maybe none. It all depends. 

My decision isn’t based out of fear. It is based on the risks and how the different outcomes will affect us, our jobs, etc. 

Part of my job involved risk assessment. I’m very involved in our Covid preparations at work. I follow all the information closely. 

What affects my decision is government policies and advisories. The risk of a two week quarantine was an acceptable risk to us before. But now seeing firsthand  how easily and quickly Omicron spreads has changed that. I feel like it is a much more likely chance regardless of how careful we are (unless we stay in our room the whole time). 
If advisories affect my insurance then we will have to cancel. 

as I mentioned earlier on this page, I have the luxury of time. I can cancel quite close to the trip. If I had to make the decision today, I'm not sure I could roll the dice and go ahead with it. Too many unknowns. 

Edited by 1kaper
  • Like 4

Well the decision was taken out of my hands this morning. Royal cancelled my February cruises. Just spent the day cancelling flights, hotel, tests etc. I was willing to roll the dice and travel but sadly not to be. I have a number of cruises booked this year so maybe I’ll get to go on the next one.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Britchip said:

Well the decision was taken out of my hands this morning. Royal cancelled my February cruises. Just spent the day cancelling flights, hotel, tests etc. I was willing to roll the dice and travel but sadly not to be. I have a number of cruises booked this year so maybe I’ll get to go on the next one.

Sucks when that happens, but frees you from making the hard decision.  Good luck on your future cruises, I hope they sail as planned.

• Like 2

Due to totally non-COVID reasons, we had to cancel our Panama cruise in April. I pushed it to 2023, paid 4.5K more and lost all of my perks. 😞 I'll be watching for any sales between now and then to mitigate some of those costs. Our first scheduled cruise now is October 2022, but I'm watching some in the late spring/early summer. Like everyone....I miss cruising.

• Like 1

We had to cancel our B2B  Christmas/NewYear cruises but not by choice.  Wife and daughter tested positive day before on the antigen so I spent all day Christmas Eve on phone. 😞  Was able to get all of my money back but took a hit on the foreign exchange and credit card fees .  Fingers crossed for our upcoming 1/30.   

• Like 1