Heads up re: Blue Cross insurance

Ginnyfyr

I was waivering between buying Manulife or Blue Cross as Blue Cross is cheaper, but I just called them to inquire if Covid is covered if you test positive before you sail and have to cancel and he said no because it is a known situation. So, if hubby or I happened to test positive when getting our antigen tests the day before flying to the States, we would be out the cost of the insurance and the cruise! Manulife WILL allow you to cancel (assuming you have a comprehensive plan with a cancellation component) ahead of time if you, your travel companion, or someone in your immediate family tests positive for Covid. I'm so glad I called to ask! 

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The vast majority of insurance companies that will provide COVID insurance will include medical coverage but not trip cancellation or interruption. 

I was inquiring about their all inclusive package which does have cancellation coverage. I'll be buying a non-medical all inclusive + Covid coverage from Manulife instead to make sure all our bases are covered. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

I was inquiring about their all inclusive package which does have cancellation coverage. I'll be buying a non-medical all inclusive + Covid coverage from Manulife instead to make sure all our bases are covered. 

As Fouremco stated vast majority insurance will not cover you for Trip Cancellation for Covid related. Only medical.

If your on Princess you will get a refund (FCC) if your tested positive prior to sailing 

10 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Manulife will not cover you for Trip Cancellation if your tested positive 

Just now, DHP1 said:

Manulife will not cover you for Trip Cancellation if your tested positive 

Yes, they will. I'm a travel agent and I sell Manulife. I have confirmed with my BDM numerous times that the only way you can cancel due to Covid is if you, your travel companion, or a member of your immediate family tests positive for Covid and would not be able to travel. They will not cover you if you simply decide you're afraid of getting Covid and want to cancel, or for instance, if the ship you were going on had a few reported cases on the sailing before you. In that case you would need to have cancel for any reason coverage. 

Very valid points, but some cruise lines specifically cover you if you test positive BEFORE your cruise. Princess gives you a 100% FCC towards the cost of a future trip if you test + before departure, so no further coverage is needed for that eventuality.

• Like 1

You are correct, however, I like to have additional cancellation insurance in case something non Covid happens, such as sickness/death of an immediate family member or becoming injured and advised not to travel (that's happened to me once before and my husband and I would've been out  $8000 without our cancellation insurance). 

6 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Yes, they will. I'm a travel agent and I sell Manulife. I have confirmed with my BDM numerous times that the only way you can cancel due to Covid is if you, your travel companion, or a member of your immediate family tests positive for Covid and would not be able to travel. They will not cover you if you simply decide you're afraid of getting Covid and want to cancel, or for instance, if the ship you were going on had a few reported cases on the sailing before you. In that case you would need to have cancel for any reason coverage. 

From Manlife wrbsite - https://advisor.manulife.ca/content/dam/manulife-advisor-portal/documents/en/other/gbrs/newsroom/manulife-gb-covid-19-plan-member-faqe.pdf

How will COVID-19 affect my Group Trip Cancellation insurance?
It is important for you to fully understand your coverage if you plan to travel. (It’s always recommended you refer to your specific plan details.)
The Trip Cancellation Benefit under your group insurance policy covers losses from sudden and unexpected circumstances. The COVID-19 pandemic is now well known. It’s no longer considered sudden or unexpected.
COVID-19 is deemed a known event for Group Trip Cancellation benefits.
This means, Trip Cancellation claims will not be paid in the following scenario:
• You purchase a trip (including trips re-booked using travel credits), but
• the government issues another COVID-19 travel advisory1 for your destination (after the date you purchased your trip and before your departure date).
Other reasons for cancellation
• Regardless of when your trip was purchased, you will be eligible under your Group Trip Cancellation benefit if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 (or for any other covered reasons/events) before your departure date and you need to cancel your trip as a result.
This note does not affect your group policy’s Emergency Out-of-province/Out-of-Canada or Emergency Travel Assistance. For more details about those benefits, refer to your specific plan details

I'm not sure if you're trying to argue with me or prove my point, but it says right there "Regardless of when your trip was purchased, you will be eligible under your Group Trip Cancellation benefit if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 (or for any other covered reasons/events) before your departure date and you need to cancel your trip as a result."

• Like 1

The situation you are discussing is not in regards to travel, but a situation occuring before you travel.

As mentioned before most cruiselines will give you FCC if you test positive prior to cruising.

Air Canada had an offer that I locked into that allows me to reschedule up to 2 hours before my flight. I don't get my money back but I do get a travel credit.

My shuttle to and from the port is not refundable but I would get a travel credit to be used whenever I wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

The situation you are discussing is not in regards to travel, but a situation occuring before you travel.

And that is what trip cancellation insurance is for. Coverage on the event that a situation arises that causes you to cancel your travel. However, if the cruise line offers FCCS in such cases, insurance wouldn't pay out a refund.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

You are correct.

I just received an email from Manulife stating that - “offers coverage for cancellation due to Covid 19 but only due to the reasons: you tested positive/catch Covid.  Any other reason related to Covid such as border closures is not covered”. 

Sound promising. I also look into Desjardins Travel Insurance which is cheaper and it states “if your quarantine in your province residence before your departure”. 

• Like 1

Got an email from Blue Cross Ontario this morning confirming medical coverage for Covid even with the new variant and the advisory.  (I don’t have cancellation through them, just travel medical, so no idea if there’s been changes to their cancellation coverage.)

71198B2C-8218-4364-BA5F-686749B2900F.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

Got an email from Blue Cross Ontario this morning confirming medical coverage for Covid even with the new variant and the advisory.  (I don’t have cancellation through them, just travel medical, so no idea if there’s been changes to their cancellation coverage.)

71198B2C-8218-4364-BA5F-686749B2900F.jpeg

Well done Blue Cross, not only for continuing the coverage and for advising your customers in a timely manner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

I just got the same email. Very Happy with Blue Cross sending this out. Will make my final decision on traveling on Jan. 12th, 2022...

5 minutes ago, sayvan said:

Anyone aware of the Celbrity policy if you test positive prior to embarkation? 

From Celebrity's website:

Covid-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before April 30, 2022 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.**
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and homebound travel for you and your Traveling Party.

*Last modified October 22, 2021. Subject to change. “Traveling Party” means your family members living with you in the same household and traveling companions assigned to your stateroom on the cruise. Conditioned upon compliance with the Celebrity Cruises COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of the cruise.  Additional terms and conditions apply. See our COVID-19 Refund and Cancellations Policy and your Cruise Ticket Contract for details.

• Like 2