Testing Anxiety!

Colorado Cruzer

Does anyone know of a resource that gives the number of people that have had to cancel their cruise because they tested positive? Our cruise isn't until March and I have such anxiety about it that I've made 3 appointments for each of us to test just in case we test false positive, which I've heard happens. We also plan to sort of quarantine before we leave but we have to fly to Long Beach 2 days before cruise and test once we get there to be within the 2 day rule. I have googled but can't find anything on this topic.  Where I live in Colorado, we are at a 6% positivity rate with testing right now so I understand the odds are in my favor but still the anxiety persists!

• Like 1

While I completely understand your anxiety (we all have a lot of time, money, and attention wrapped up in our travel), take a breath.  We have absolutely no idea what is going to happen between now and March.  In this environment, three months is a long time.  

• Like 2

I was worried until i got the call saying i was negative yesterday. But i was also not really concerned because if i had tested positive it would've been 10 days of free vacation time and i could sit at home and play video games instead of going to work. I mean yeah it would suck to have to cancel my cruise especially since it was almost free after counting my OBC.

But that's life and as long as people continue to freak out over the rona instead of moving on with their lives the stress and crap isn't gonna stop for those type A people that stress over everything.

• Like 1

If you haven’t got your booster I’d recommend doing so.  Wife and I are vaccinated (no booster) and still caught Covid.  Symptoms were minor but still a bummer as it was right in between two cruises. Fortunately we recovered In plenty of time to test negative prior to cruise.  Your plan to quarantine prior to cruise should help.

We took a trip last year and also stressed quite a bit. First, you don't need 3 appointments each. If you test positive, you aren't taking your cruise. A negative test afterwards won't change the fact that you tested positive. Focus on getting a reliable test with results that will come back on time.  I'm curious why you have to fly to Long Beach 2 days before your cruise. Can you change your flight and take the test at home?

Edited by sanger727

42 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

We took a trip last year and also stressed quite a bit. First, you don't need 3 appointments each. If you test positive, you aren't taking your cruise. A negative test afterwards won't change the fact that you tested positive. Focus on getting a reliable test with results that will come back on time.  I'm curious why you have to fly to Long Beach 2 days before your cruise. Can you change your flight and take the test at home?

Are you saying we can't take another test if we think we tested false positive?  I thought we just had to show a negative test at the port, whatever test comes out negative.  The results aren't transferred to the cruise line as far asI understand it. I have 3 friends that have tested false positive in the last 2 weeks with the rapid tests and then they took two more immediately that were negative.  It will be a huge bummer if we test positive and then have to fly all the way back home with no vacation and pay all the flight change fees and waste flight points too.  ugh, see my anxiety coming out again? lol. 

We go to Long Beach 2 days before because we always do that before a cruise and have everything booked for flights and airBnB to stay in before the testing requirement came out for the vaccinated.

We have our boosters and the other two in our group will have theirs by the time of the cruise. 

We have appointments for the rapid antigen test at the Long Beach Airport testing facility.  

I was just looking for some kind of info on how many per cruise have to cancel and go home.  Like is it 5 out of 3000 or 100 out of 3000.  something like that but I doubt the cruiselines will want to be transparent about that number just like they don't want to take calls from people saying they tested positive after the cruise.  

I am in no way stressed about the virus, we've been travelling through the whole thing, even internationally and I worked for nearly a year in a restaurant as a manager while I was on furlough from my real job so around people without masks all the time. We do what we can to avoid getting it but if we do, hoping its mild. I AM stressed about the quality of rapid tests and the fact that these jenky tests will have such control over my vacation that has been planned and cancelled for the last 2 years.  It's my sister's first cruise too.  

• Like 1

When you board the cruise you have to present a negative test. But they will also ask you if you have tested positive in the last 10 days. When you say yes, you will be denied boarding. Regardless of what your friends may think, proving a positive is a "false positive" is not an easy thing to do. I manage all of the covid tests are my workplace. We have many people test positive who don't have symptoms. They can take a second test and be negative. The health department doesn't care. If they test positive they are treated like they are positive. Anyone who tests positive and then boards a cruise ship is going to have to lie. Because if you tell them you tested positive and then argue that you (based on your layman's medical knowledge) have the ability to determine it was false and you are actually fine; they won't care. You won't board. This isn't a game of slots where you just play multiple times and hope it comes up negative once so you have a negative test to board. 

And just for the record, I have seen people play that game with a positive test, then a negative test, then another positive test. False negatives are much more likely than false positives. If you take two tests, with one of each, there's no real reason to believe the negative result over the positive result.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think there's a short waiting time between tests.  But not long.

You only need to show the negative test within 2 days of boarding.  How often you test before is indifferent.  

As a precaution, if you are having anxiety over testing is to get your booster, then 10 days before your cruise do a rapid test.  If that's negative just be cautious of your surrounding over the next week or so. Wear an N-95 mask  in stores/restaurants or around others and then redo the rapid test within 2 days of boarding.  You should be fine.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

Does anyone know of a resource that gives the number of people that have had to cancel their cruise because they tested positive? Our cruise isn't until March and I have such anxiety about it that I've made 3 appointments for each of us to test just in case we test false positive, which I've heard happens. We also plan to sort of quarantine before we leave but we have to fly to Long Beach 2 days before cruise and test once we get there to be within the 2 day rule. I have googled but can't find anything on this topic.  Where I live in Colorado, we are at a 6% positivity rate with testing right now so I understand the odds are in my favor but still the anxiety persists!

I have anxiety too and especially since it comes just two days before you're supposed to go when you get the bad news. Then you're stuck trying to cancel everything and maybe losing money on things like hotels or flights. Meanwhile I could go to Vegas or Disney World or Universal Hollywood or San Antonio or fly anywhere in the country and not care and not worry about it. As it is I'm going to start wearing a mask at work and Walmart and other places two weeks before my testing and hope I don't end up asymptomatic Omnicrom positive. Good luck with your test and if it gets to you too much you can always cancel and go someplace else that the CDC either doesn't have control over or doesn't impose the same strict policies on. 

As others have said, failing to report a positive test within the prescribed time frame (even if you get a subsequent negative result that you present) leaves you open for significant sanctions and potential liability.  I'm sure others have done it at significant risk.  I sure wouldn't. 

• Like 1