Windstar Mask Experience

snoopydo

On 12/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, RemPuck said:

The initial testing found “a few” more cases. The St Lucia officials finally released us to go ashore about 1430. 

Tomorrow is a sea day and we are scheduled for pre-arrival testing for the BVI (on the schedule per BVI requirements). 🤞🤞

Books have been removed from the library and tables in the lounge are marked with “seating for 2 only”. 

Masking is strongly enforced. 

Making the best of it.  We are on board. 

Thank you for posting your experience. How's the rest of the cruise going? What would happen with the rest of the cruise if anyone on it had a positive tests is one of my biggest concerns in cruising now. We were on board for 18 days (pre-Omicron) so it hasn't stopped us from cruising.

I think it is worth investing some time and money in trying different masks to find what's most comfortable for you. 

Initially, I was having a lot of trouble with the masks making my glasses fog up. As the pandemic wore on, I decided that it was worth trying to find something that worked better for me. I read that silk masks were less prone to that issue so I tried some. I found a few where the fit was really good and breathing was pretty comfortable. My glasses rarely fog now. Also, there is research that shows that the material filters the small droplets better than other materials so it may provide better protection.

With Omicron being so prone to breakthrough infections, I think masking indoors will be with us for a long time so it's worth finding comfortable workable choices. Vaccination isn't enough with the new variants.

We were on-board for 18 days and didn't find wearing a mask uncomfortable. We wore them whenever we were indoors (other than when in our cabin of course) and not eating or drinking. When eating or drinking, we are having to rely on Windstar's improvements to their ventilation systems to keep the risk down. 

What I didn't consider ahead of time was wearing a mask nearly continuously for around 24 hours for our travel to and from the cruise. We traveled from California to Europe and since you have to be masked in airports and on planes, that means wearing the mask for a long continuous time except for short breaks for meals. About half way through, my ears were complaining about having the pressure on them that long. Noise cancelling headphones, the mask strap and glasses means ears combined to make it worse and while I'm used to wearing a mask by now, not for more than 8 hours a day. So, before I do any more long flights, I think I'll get one of those behind the head straps that the mask can hook onto to take the burden off my ears. 

Wind Surf has a definite Covid outbreak. Several passengers were off loaded in Barbados. We had 2 days of no new cases. Then yesterday, more popped up, including crew. 

During dinner on the 25th, the captain announced we’re returning to St Maarten two days early, essentially terminating the cruise. We’re not yet docked (about 8 am local) and we’re all going through our daily test. 

That’s all I have to share now. 

• Thanks 3

We are in a sort of purgatory. 

My husband was among another group who tested positive on Sunday morning. I’m negative. We’ve been separated and are in isolation (as are all positive and close contact pax). 

Many people debarked on Sunday (it was almost “encouraged”) and I heard announcements last night about the debarking process for today (Monday- the cruise was to have ended Tuesday). 

I’m hoping that if I remain negative that I will be released no later than Tuesday and will fly home. My husband and the others are likely here for another week. The cruise following ours has been canceled, and we think they can stay on board in isolation. 

This thread was about the masking policy. 

My experience was that masking was mostly followed early on and then more so after the initial cases. But the reality is that we are all still in restaurants and lounges, eating and drinking, unmasked. 

On Christmas Eve, there was a crew caroling show in the lounge, all guests invited to the sing along. Most people (pax) were unmasked and singing. 

At Christmas dinner, they announced the additional cases and the end of the trip. Immediately after, they announced that the Lounge and Compass Rose would be open for entertainment and relaxing. 

Masking offers protection to a point. But it’s the other activity and actions that contribute. 

• Thanks 2

I really appreciate your comments on how it is going. Fingers are crossed that you remain negative and your husband does well. 

So that I can learn how Windstar organizes this- were you moved to dedicated a isolation room or did you stay in your room? I am assuming your husband and other positive people went to a dedicated section of the ship. 

To me it is disappointing that the ship permitted singing, especially unmasked. 

You made some good points about the eating and drinking in lounges and restaurants. This is food for thought for me as I am considering booking for this summer. The enclosed areas being open for unmasked passengers even after the positive cases is making me think hard. 

Best wishes. 

@MNgardens

thank you for the well wishes. I am negative as of earlier today. I could leave the ship now but it was too late to realistically get a flight. My test certificate is valid for my flight on Tuesday (as originally booked). However, all guests still will be tested on Tuesday morning. 🤞

I was moved to a new room but my husband stayed in our original room. We became friends with another couple who are one person positive and one negative (same time as us). For them, the positive person was moved and the negative stayed behind. 

I know that the person in the room next to me is also in isolation (the nurse moved from my room to that one doing the testing this morning).  But I don’t know who it is, if this was their original room, etc. The person I mentioned above was moved to a different area. 

We were only about 50% full so they had many rooms to move people to. 

I think Windstar (and all lines) are learning from each voyage. I agree that the sing along wasn’t the best thing. (“Please stay masked” an “Can I get you a beverage “ are contradictory statements.). I’m sure they are thinking through New Years Eve for the other ships. 

Good luck on your decision. I think we just got the bad luck of the Omicron wave cresting with our trip. Who knows what summer will be. 

It is good to hear that capacity is at 50%. That must help with spacing out tables and seating. I was reading on CC that some of the mass market big ships are at roughly 85% and there is no way to distance, elevators are full, etc. 

I am currently leaning towards this summer (Greece!) but only going with experienced travelers who could adapt to possibly being split up. 

I am meeting up this week with one of the people and I will get her read on this. I am thinking that I should get a suite.  That way we can do some in room dining or if confined to the room there would be more space. 

My daughter has long haul covid and we had deaths in the family so I tend to be a little more on the anxious side. 

I really appreciate you taking the time to post on here. 

• Like 1

@Petoonya and @MNgardens

Thanks so much for the good wishes. 

I think a suite saved us. We had two bathrooms, isolAting us naturally. We had some space during periods of lock down and the table to eat from. And I slept on the sofa the night we were suspicious. 

As for grace - it’s doing what I can. I just said a distanced and masked goodbye to my husband. It will be next year before we are reconnected. I’m beyond torn about leaving but know it’s the right (and safest) thing for me to do. 

The crew is beyond stressed but doing what they can. Many are positive or isolation. They are scrambling to change arrangements yet keep us fed and updated. 

May the new year not be a repeat of this. Thanks to all for the good vibes. Please keep all the pax and crew in your thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am so sorry to read of your hardship aboard the Wind Surf and hope you and your husband remain safe in your travels.  I read on a roll call thread that the cruise following yours on the Wind Surf was cancelled with all booked passengers transferred to the Legend.  We are scheduled on the Legend for a TA crossing leaving St. Maarten 3/19 but now may cancel since things seem to be escalating rapidly. Be safe on your travel home.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, agkinmd said:

I am so sorry to read of your hardship aboard the Wind Surf and hope you and your husband remain safe in your travels.  I read on a roll call thread that the cruise following yours on the Wind Surf was cancelled with all booked passengers transferred to the Legend.  We are scheduled on the Legend for a TA crossing leaving St. Maarten 3/19 but now may cancel since things seem to be escalating rapidly. Be safe on your travel home.  

I'm scheduled on the Cruise Collector that includes that crossing and the Lisbon to Lisbon sailing. 

I think I'll stick with it but the news is concerning. I was able to upgrade to a French balcony for less than my original price during the book your bucket list sale so at least if there's a need to isolate, I'll have access to outside air.

I guess we will see how the following cruises go.

19 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

I'm scheduled on the Cruise Collector that includes that crossing and the Lisbon to Lisbon sailing. 

I think I'll stick with it but the news is concerning. I was able to upgrade to a French balcony for less than my original price during the book your bucket list sale so at least if there's a need to isolate, I'll have access to outside air.

I guess we will see how the following cruises go.

We're on the Lisbon to Lisbon portion as well. Let's hope for the best.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.

I tested negative on Tuesday (28th), the planned last day of the trip.  There was a lot of confusion on the ship as I'd tested negative on Monday and was given clearance to leave the ship but NOT clearance to wander the ship - I had to remain in isolation.  

I left on Tuesday with several others who were close contacts of people who had tested positive.  While hard to leave our spouses/partners behind, there was also risk that WE could still become positive and then get stuck. Leaving was the best option.

Those who were still on board were moved to a set of cabins in the same area (likely easier for the crew to manage, etc). A few (that I am aware of) were released on Wednesday as they were negative (but this was the first test since their original positive). I have no clue what the rules/guidelines are. My husband still tested positive (I am not sure if it was antigen or PCR - I forgot to ask when we spoke). No one is telling him if there are still others in isolation. There is also still confusion around the criteria required for him to disembark and return home. Based on feedback from a passenger who was disembarked in Barbados, we are using the guidance HE received (not official word) that one can fly back to the US ten days after the initial positive test with confirmation that the person has been in isolation for the 10 days. 

I am actually going to drop from the conversation.  It's been good to have the support from so many in the Windstar family, but it's also been a great stress on us and I need a bit of a mental break to focus on getting my husband home and getting things back to (somewhat) normal at home.  It's been a very odd last several days and the coming days, particularly with new years, will be tough as well.

I wish everyone a good 2022 (may it be more .... something.... than 2021!) and happy sailing and traveling, wherever you may go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just back from 17 days on the Windsurf.  We chose Windstar BECAUSE of their vax/mask policy.  In our mid 70s, vaxed and boosted we understand that even that isn’t a 100% guarantee again infection, but associating with those who will err on the side of caution is important to us. Putting on a mask was no big deal.  It became automatic like grabbing my sunglasses, sunhat or lobbing on sunscreen.  In fact, DH laughed when I started to eat and realized I still had my mask on. 

• Like 1

I previously replied to the original question re masks.  Reading backwards, I realize that RemPuck was also on our Windsurf cruise and one of those affected by positive results.

I should add that everyone with whom we associated onboard (passengers and crew) remained negative through the final disembarkation.  It was comforting that all passengers and all crew were tested every morning.  Because of the care with which Windstar handled the situation, we have booked back to back cruises with them in Europe in September.

We prefer this to a less vigilant approach on other cruise lines.  

• Like 2

I was on the 12/18 cruise. I was very impressed by the Surf and the care. 

initially before all hell broke lose. Inside strict mask mandates, distancing etc. We were 6 one night we wanted Rempuck and  Bill  to dine with us but the max was 6. Most of our activities were outside with the exception of Amphora, never made it to Stella Bistro, the first 6 nights we ate at Candles twice. I and my brother-in-law became positive Sunday afternoon no symptoms what so ever, we were moved. There was a question why we were moved to cleaned rooms. After requesting, by my sister the nurse, the next day my original room and my brother-in-law's room were cleaned in a flash, we think it was a slip. I asked the Captain why we were moved and he said there are 5 air filtration systems on the ship we had to be put into the same system. Made sense. When moved a second time we were all near each other. While in quarantine service and food superb, we asked we received. The Captain superb, we felt very transparent. We felt we were under a new world order we all had to learn. There were blips. The biggest frustration was the outdated WIFI, in an emergency such  as this WIFI is a necessity in this day and, it failed. I wrote WS and asked the CEO actually begged, that when we were the 2nd time we be put in rooms with sunlight, sunlight for those in stress, in quarantine is scientifically healing. I do not know if my letter helped but we all were on the 2nd and 3rd floors. ( I think mostly 3rd. )  Plenty of light.  I very much plan on sticking with WS but I will not cruise while this pandemic rages and  I am hopping WS will learn how vitale good internet is.I do understand while at sea it can be iffy but in a large, international port, no excuse. 
I applaud the care of WS and hope they learn from this. I know I am learning. Let's hope for happy, safe sailing to return soon.

• Thanks 2

@Strenz

We were on that cruise beginning on Dec 11th and I join you in the applause for the Windstar crew.  We had a deck 3 cabin and fortunately tested negative all 9 (or maybe 10 times).  I was surprised that the swap test was not as uncomfortable as I had been led to believe.  

We never use shipboard wifi, but when we sailed back to St Martin, we did.  Perhaps it was the location of our cabin, but we both found the speed reasonable.  

I don't know if we ever actually met.  I remember talking with a woman from MA about opera on the beach in Barbados.  I hope you both have recovered with no lasting ill effects.

Because of the Windstar handling of the situation, we have actually booked another back to back cruise with them (Europe in September).  

Yes, it was me I think, I am from MA and I adore the opera I was swimming in Barbados. We love WS. With  some communication blips and WIFI blips we got home with 2 hours of each other a miracle, we had the big  PCR test yesterday because the airports were so disgusting mainly FLL I did a mathematical estimation 80% no masks despite Federal Signs requiring them at that airport. St.Martin was gross but at least they had people in orange/ yellow vests walking around tell people to mask up, that airport was dirty but nearly 100% masked. We felt compromised, 6:30 this am negative, negative. Feel   grateful . We are keeping our Surf 10/6 Rome to Malta for now, again in the wait and see mode. Happy New Year and Stay Safe.

• Like 1

@Strenz
I'm glad you are both negative now.  We will NOT fly through Miami or any other Florida airport.  Windstar now has our loyalty and unless something catastrophic happens with the virus, we will be keeping our Sept (Athens- Istanbul - Black Sea) cruise on the Legend.

Stay safe, stay well.