Windstar Mask Experience

snoopydo

Every cruise line but Windstar is taking an approach of "no masks because we require vaccines." I feel that is reasonable and logical not requiring masks if everyone is vaccinated.

My question is for anyone who has cruised on Windstar recently. I am looking to book a cruise that will leave in January on Windstar and I am curious if the mask requirement on Windstar impacted your enjoyment of the cruise. Maybe it is a mental block, but having to mask up each time I walk around the ship seems like it would get old.

54 minutes ago, snoopydo said:

Every cruise line but Windstar is taking an approach of "no masks because we require vaccines." I feel that is reasonable and logical not requiring masks if everyone is vaccinated.

My question is for anyone who has cruised on Windstar recently. I am looking to book a cruise that will leave in January on Windstar and I am curious if the mask requirement on Windstar impacted your enjoyment of the cruise. Maybe it is a mental block, but having to mask up each time I walk around the ship seems like it would get old.

On our Oceania cruise in October, mask and vaccinations were required

We have spent 25 days on board ship in the last three months – masks were required anywhere outside your cabin unless eating or drinking and on tour buses.  DW thought it would be a problem for her – it wasn't.  We were just so glad to be traveling again that it seemed like a minor inconvenience.

But if your plans onboard include lots of 'lying in the sun,' my answer would be different...

I was on a Celebrity cruise recently and their policy was because it was required to be vaccinated cruise then they didn’t require masks.  Seemed to make sense to me. Recently looked at NCL and they say the same. 

To be more clear: I’m fine wearing masks walking around ship and all that since that is the policy. I’m just wondering how literal it is. If I am sitting in a lounge by myself off in the corner with no one nearby reading a book: do they expect mask wearing then? I’m really curious from someone who has been onboard recently. 

Edited by snoopydo

I did a Star Clipper in October.  Masks required indoors.  Honestly, people were compliant and it really was not as much of an inconvenience/burden as I expected it would be.  Planning a Windstar cruise now and am not giving it a second thought.

49 minutes ago, FWFrog said:

I did a Star Clipper in October.  Masks required indoors.  Honestly, people were compliant and it really was not as much of an inconvenience/burden as I expected it would be.  Planning a Windstar cruise now and am not giving it a second thought.

I’ll be compliant 🙂 I’m just wondering if it will be annoying. Since my last cruises didn’t require masks I haven’t experienced it. Sounds like you’re saying it isn’t an issue. 

Mask requirements are spreading quickly.   I just saw on the Oceania forum that they are now requiring masks on all their ships, despite also requiring all passengers and crew to be vaxxed and tested.  Nobody wants any positives onboard because of the consequences for everybody...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snoopydo said:

I’ll be compliant 🙂 I’m just wondering if it will be annoying. Since my last cruises didn’t require masks I haven’t experienced it. Sounds like you’re saying it isn’t an issue. 

I had the same hesitation.  In fact, we were originally booked (and rebooked) on Windstar.  Windstar's policy (at the time) of no independent shore excursions was the deal breaker for us and we switched cruises.  We wondered if the face mask policy would make us regret cruising at this time.  Turns out, not a big deal.  We were out 12 days and it was just habit to put the mask on.  The good news is that so much of the indoor time is spent eating where face masks were not required.

Did people have their masks on while sitting at a bar? Did they have masks on while laying by the pool?

I just returned from 10 days on Celebrity Millennium Caribbean cruise when're there was no mask mandate for passengers. A few people wore masks onboard everywhere even if they didn't have to, but they were the outliers. I am getting ready to cancel an Oceania cruise 4/4/22 because of this new mask mandate. I thought about changing to a similar Windstar cruise but since they also have the same policy as Oceania I won't be cruising anytime soon. After cruising mask free I can't imagine having to wear a mask on a ship, especially outdoors.

• Like 1

As I mentioned, i was on a Star Clipper, not Windstar.  A few passengers wore their mask everywhere but most only wore their mask indoors and not while at the bar, drinking coffee indoors, or in the dining room.  Outside bar and common areas - no mask.  The crew wore their masks everywhere.

We just completed the Star Legend transatlantic from Lisbon to Barbados. We were so glad all passengers and crew were required to be vaccinated. And we...and all other passengers...were respectful and grateful for the indoor mask wearing policy. All complied willingly and it became automatic to don a mask when outside your cabin. Once outdoors on decks, we did not wear masks. But did put them on to go up to the Star Bar for food or a drink. It was the same indoors at the lounge, Compass Rose and restaurants - once inside and sitting at the bar, couch or table at dinner, you could remove your mask. Seating at the outdoor Star Bar Grill was spaced well as were the loungers at the pool decks. 

It was the most delightful trip! And the mask requirement was part of what made the two weeks safe and comforting. It’s not for everyone but it worked well for us and the other 117 on board!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My husband and I have already postponed one cruise because of mask mandates, and if Windstar requires masks on our upcoming cruise, we'll postpone it again.  We're vaccinated and boosted, and the idea of spending this kind of money to spend hours on end wearing masks when we no longer have to do this on land in the US is a non-starter.  It would completely ruin the experience for us!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SailMaine said:

We just completed the Star Legend transatlantic from Lisbon to Barbados. We were so glad all passengers and crew were required to be vaccinated. And we...and all other passengers...were respectful and grateful for the indoor mask wearing policy. All complied willingly and it became automatic to don a mask when outside your cabin. Once outdoors on decks, we did not wear masks. But did put them on to go up to the Star Bar for food or a drink. It was the same indoors at the lounge, Compass Rose and restaurants - once inside and sitting at the bar, couch or table at dinner, you could remove your mask. Seating at the outdoor Star Bar Grill was spaced well as were the loungers at the pool decks. 

It was the most delightful trip! And the mask requirement was part of what made the two weeks safe and comforting. It’s not for everyone but it worked well for us and the other 117 on board!

Thank you! That’s really helpful. 

5 hours ago, IpswichChris said:

My husband and I have already postponed one cruise because of mask mandates, and if Windstar requires masks on our upcoming cruise, we'll postpone it again.  It would completely ruin the experience for us!

We all have our opinions and tolerances. But mine is that if you are ever planning on cruising again you'd have to get used to the idea of mask mandates. Like the airlines I sense it's going to be permanent, and I'm happy about that. It's lovely not listening to people coughing while flying now. COVID aside, too many respiratory infections passed around onboard ships and flights before..

• Like 3

I’m on Wind Surf now. Masking when in halls, walking into restaurants, at buffet lines. You will be handed a mask if you forget. 

On outdoor deck, most are unmasked unless walking between indoor places. At bars, even indoors, most are unmasked. In Yacht Club, masks are required but I’ve seen solos quietly reading in a corner without. 

Masks required on tenders and buses, etc. 

All crew masked, but you can see/hear them smiling. And we smile back through ours. 

Barbados (today’s port) requires masks everywhere (people walking the streets wear them). We wore them at the beach bar to use the facilities, but not at the actual beach. 

As @Petoonyanotes, masks are likely going to be around for a long time. And rules will change with the ebb and flow of the virus. We’re not done with Covid. 

We just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Windsurf (12/11 - 12/18).

People were politely asked to wear their masks indoors by the crew when social distancing wasn't possible (in the lounge, elevators, coffee shop, etc.) and when in hallways, etc.  At dinner no one was wearing their masks; however the staff attempted to separate tables and groups as best as possible.

On deck people were not wearing their masks.  The only time that I felt uncomfortable was if more than 2 people were in the hot tubs at the same time.

The staff generally wore their masks at all times.  The exception being the dining room staff were DOUBLE masked.  

If you are dead set against wearing a mask in public then you seriously should consider postponing your cruise.  Most people understood and complied with the policies of the ship with regards to wearing masks.

Edited by FlaMilkman

We docked in Castries St Lucia this morning. Just as we were about to get off ship for an excursion, we were told that there was a delay in clearance and were asked to return to the lounge for a short wait. 

After about 10 minutes, they announced that a passenger had tested positive for Covid… more waiting. 

Contact tracing started and those who were on an excursion with the passenger were taken for testing. 

St Lucia has agreed to allow passengers ashore but we all need a test. waiting our turn for testing. 

Masking is very apparent now, and being enforced. 

Edited by RemPuck
Typo
  • Like 1

The initial testing found “a few” more cases. The St Lucia officials finally released us to go ashore about 1430. 

Tomorrow is a sea day and we are scheduled for pre-arrival testing for the BVI (on the schedule per BVI requirements). 🤞🤞

Books have been removed from the library and tables in the lounge are marked with “seating for 2 only”. 

Masking is strongly enforced. 

Making the best of it.  We are on board. 

• Like 2

I am so looking forward to our cruise next summer aboard the Wind Spirit in French Polynesia. I look forward to seeing beautiful tropical islands, lush forests, terrific snorkeling, landscapes formed by volcanoes, magnificent sunsets (and maybe a sunrise or two), blue lagoons, endless sands. I look forward to eating all kinds of local food. Places I've dreamed about since I was a kid and never imagined I could visit.

The minor inconvenience of wearing a mask is not a problem for me while basking in these wonders. Now if I had to wear a mask over my eyes, that'd be another story...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although I am unlikely to book a cruise at all right now, I certainly would not book unless there was a requirement for masking indoors and in congregate areas. I just have to look at current infection rates and increasing "Breakthrough" infections. (9 Windstar cruise history)

• Like 2