BTimmer's Almost Live - Zuiderdam 1/2-30/22 -San Diego to Florida RT

Btimmer

56 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Actually, you gator is a crocodile.  No alligators in Panama, although there are some caiman, which are part of the same genus.  

Crocodile it was. I learned something today.  It was impressive seeing it swim while eating lunch in the Lido.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Crocodile it was. I learned something today.  It was impressive seeing it swim while eating lunch in the Lido.

Hang on.  Was the Crocodile eating lunch in the Lido???  HAL is really coming up with new stuff.  LOL  Hope you enjoy your cruise and have a lovely day at HMC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Here's the Captain's letter from today regarding adherence to the PVSA and making our required stop in Cartagena.

7C71641A-A926-4441-A975-BDA4877F6B8F.thumb.jpeg.704ca48f5a4fc347a73e7e5d3396a916.jpeg

I hope that will satisfy the PVSA.  I thought CPB was cracking down on "Technical stops" and requiring that PAX be allowed to disembark.  At least since you return to San Diego there should be no fine to apply to your account.

Roy

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I hope that will satisfy the PVSA.  I thought CPB was cracking down on "Technical stops" and requiring that PAX be allowed to disembark.  At least since you return to San Diego there should be no fine to apply to your account.

Roy

I had the same thought about a technical stop.  I wonder if HAL cleared that with the powers that be (if that’s even possible) after not getting a waiver to skip Cartagena completely. 

19 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Here are a few critter pictures from the canal transit today.

Thanks for the great photos. You were very lucky to see that croc (not to mention a deer).  We’ve been through the Canal twice and while we’ve seen plenty of birds, we’ve yet to spot any crocs (or land animals). 

Enjoy HMC!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for the great photos. You were very lucky to see that croc (not to mention a deer).  We’ve been through the Canal twice and while we’ve seen plenty of birds, we’ve yet to spot any crocs (or land animals). 

Enjoy HMC!

Yes, this is the first time I've seen this type of wildlife in the canal and I've certainly previously looked.

We really enjoy HMC and have booked a snorkel trip there.

• Like 3

We just did our Covid-19 test for the return voyage. While we were in line for testing, the check in clerk was suddenly called over to the testing desk, and copied down some information from a test.  I suspect somebody tested positive.  After the test we were required to return to our room 

In the 'Ask the Captain' session just completed, when asked what percentage tested positive after the last test to pass through the Panama Canal, all Captain van der Hoven would say is, "It was below threshold."  He also volunteered, "the more you test, the more positive cases will be found."

Otherwise it's a nice sea day passing between Haiti and Cuba.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, zelker said:

@Btimmer  By any chance, did anyone ask if the required number of quarantine days would be reduced from the current 10 days, now that the CSO is expiring as of tomorrow?  

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

@Btimmer  By any chance, did anyone ask if the required number of quarantine days would be reduced from the current 10 days, now that the CSO is expiring as of tomorrow?  

That question wasn't asked.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 0106 said:

Wonder what  threshold the canal sets?  

I hope it warms up and you enjoy your snorkel tip at HMC.  I’ve never seen much there.  Look forward to hearing about your experience.

Whether the Canal asks or not or what threshold wasn't disclosed to us.  They may not request it for the return voyage.  We'll see.

Re: snorkeling, we've been there three times in the last few months and have found an undocumented snorkeling spot that's pretty good.  The HAL trip should expose us to a new area.  Here's hoping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Btimmer said:

We waited the obligatory 1/2 hour in our stateroom so we appear to be clear to sail back to San Diego.

Yay! Glad to know you are good to go back. I tested negative this morning, and everything fit in my suitcases, so I'm on that plane tomorrow to FLL! See you Sunday!

Diana

• Thanks 1

Btimmer, I have a question re entry and transit in the Panama Canal.  In most other ports a pilot boat drops a pilot onto the ship to clear it.  Is there anything that happens in the Panama Canal?  I have only seen the ships passing from the Miraflores Locks' visitor center.  I assume that the "mules" are still used to bring the ships thru the locks?  No hurry in answering my question.  Thank you,  Cherie  

1 minute ago, cccole said:

Btimmer, I have a question re entry and transit in the Panama Canal.  In most other ports a pilot boat drops a pilot onto the ship to clear it.  Is there anything that happens in the Panama Canal?  I have only seen the ships passing from the Miraflores Locks' visitor center.  I assume that the "mules" are still used to bring the ships thru the locks?  No hurry in answering my question.  Thank you,  Cherie  

Yes a pilot boards the ship.  Later line handling crews board and they fasten the lines from the mules.  The mules 'only' control the side to side motion in the locks.  The ship provides the forward/reverse motion (yes we went in reverse at one point).

• Like 3

Thank you so much.  I haven't seen photos of the pilot boarding so was wondering!!!  And, I thought the "mules" pulled the ship through the locks.  Thank you for the explanation.  And, did you go in reverse because the next lock was not yet ready for you?  I look forward to this doing the full transit.  No matter how many times cruisers have transited the canal it always seems to be amazing.  Thank you,  Cherie

31 minutes ago, cccole said:

Thank you so much.  I haven't seen photos of the pilot boarding so was wondering!!!  And, I thought the "mules" pulled the ship through the locks.  Thank you for the explanation.  And, did you go in reverse because the next lock was not yet ready for you?  I look forward to this doing the full transit.  No matter how many times cruisers have transited the canal it always seems to be amazing.  Thank you,  Cherie

I don't know why we reversed but would speculate it was to align the ship.

The left lock was wide open before and after us.  I was surprised at the lack of traffic.

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cccole said:

I assume the "left lock" is the older lock.  Thank you so much for the info.  Enjoy the rest of your cruise and the return cruise to San Diego!!!  Cherie

No, the old locks have a parallel set of locks permitting two way traffic.

The new locks are left & right of the old locks when transiting in either direction.  They are one way only.  And they are more expensive.

• Like 2