BTimmer's Almost Live - Zuiderdam 1/2-30/22 -San Diego to Florida RT

Btimmer

2 hours ago, zelker said:

Assume due to staffing issues?  We really enjoy PG lunches plus I've got a Roll Call group lunch planned there on our 35 day SoPac cruise so hoping this will not be an issue by the second week of March. 

We spoke with the PG manager and it's due to lack of enough passenger interest due to low passenger counts.  Staffing is fine.

• Thanks 2

I am boarding the Zuiderdam tomorrow.  I just checked my Navigator app and it shows changes to the itinerary.  Guatemala has been dropped, Panama City has been added for January 21st, and Puerto Caldera has been moved to January 23rd.  I am sure this is subject to change but thought some might be interested in the latest moves.

1 hour ago, chicopaige said:

I am boarding the Zuiderdam tomorrow.  I just checked my Navigator app and it shows changes to the itinerary.  Guatemala has been dropped, Panama City has been added for January 21st, and Puerto Caldera has been moved to January 23rd.  I am sure this is subject to change but thought some might be interested in the latest moves.

Thanks for the info.  My Navigator App shows the same thing.  It looks like we can't book shore excursions until tomorrow.

Tonight there were many, many cruise ships surrounding us as we motored on in at 13 knots.  We were passed by the Celebrity APEX doing 19 knots at around 10pm.  It's impressive in the dark. And tge moon is approaching full status.  The picture below was taken around 7pm tonight with my Nikon P900 with no tripod.72C3266E-098C-4623-A135-1804D39C7AE7.thumb.jpeg.400a0ed5190e2071e52daaa417bc89a7.jpeg

Edited by Btimmer
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 6

22 minutes ago, ksmaxey said:

Has your itinerary for the return trip been altered?

Yes.  At the moment we head back to Cartegena for a 2 hour "service" stop, do the Canal, a one day stop in Panama City, Puntarenas, skip Guatemala and Nicaragua, visit Huatulco again (yeah), PV, and San Diego.  But we need to be flexible as the first half demonstrated.

Plus today around noon we're expected to have gale force winds and rain while in port.

• Like 3

At the moment we are under a tornado warning until 3pm EST.

We just finished doing the required immigration visit which took an hour.  We're now ensconced up in the Crow's Nest.  There will be a 4-5 star reception here 2-2:45pm. Our ship is positioned perfectly facing the port exit and watching the port traffic.

I'll post in my blog for today about our "interruption" that occurred at 12:15am. It was a first time occurrence for us.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Iris5383 said:

This is the cruise DH and I would have been on if we hadn't cancelled. I'll be traveling virtually through your posts. Have a great trip!

We did the same thing....were supposed to be on this one and the following one back to FLL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

I can see the Nieuw Amsterdam motoring in to take the Edge's berth. I wonder if it's going to take infected Zuiderdam crew aboard?

They didn't go over to the Eurodam?  From a source I cannot name, supposedly, the N.A. is only taking on new crew to quarantine prior to them going to their assigned ships.

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Btimmer said:

I'll post in my blog for today about our "interruption" that occurred at 12:15am. It was a first time occurrence for us.

Looked at your blog,  most recent update was day 14, Almost Half Moon Cay.  Have you updated?  Interested in learning about your “interruption”

I’ve been looking at the dinner menus on the app.  Seems like many repeats.  Are you getting tired of the same food?  We will be on the 2/13 cruise.

Thanks for all the info you have provided.

Finally, mid afternoon on disembarkation day, all of the ports' (except Panama City) shore excursions were open for booking.  Shorex told me Panama City was being worked on.

My daily blog is now updated for the very different turnaround day.  It can be found at:

https://timmer2022sdrt.blogspot.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Finally, mid afternoon on disembarkation day, all of the ports' (except Panama City) shore excursions were open for booking.  Shorex told me Panama City was being worked on.

My daily blog is now updated for the very different turnaround day.  It can be found at:

https://timmer2022sdrt.blogspot.com

Great to follow your blog.  We had 2 friends join the ship Sunday for the cruise back to San Diego so I can follow their journey through your postings.  We are boarding the NS on Feb 2 so really interested in reading about cruising in the world of Covid.

@Btimmer  wow-how startling to be woken up like that.  Your blog was very informative of what you had to go through.  Tornado warning too!  Hope you slept well last night after your “events”.  

We watched your sailaway-was so nice seeing the HAL ships depart.  And a few toots were ab extra bonus.  Have a great cruise! 

• Like 3

On this first sea day, my unofficial observation is that the average age of the passengers dropped by 5-10 years.  There's a younger vibe.

Also, today we were finally able to book excursions at Fuerte Amador.  So we booked the Best of Panama tour to see the new locks up close and visit a native village.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

On this first sea day, my unofficial observation is that the average age of the passengers dropped by 5-10 years.  There's a younger vibe.

That's probably the real reason they booted me off--to improve the demographics.

• Haha 14

5 hours ago, Btimmer said:

I noticed this on my recent cruise on the Zuiderdam, too.

Today we set a new record for us:  we are twice in two days in the Caneletto.  The crew there have been fabulous.  Tonight's special was veal bone-in.  Super tender.

9FFFC226-C1DA-479A-A777-23AE4538380D.thumb.jpeg.2766099efe3a8f9d1f6a91b2eba755ca.jpeg

We also received another $50 credit per person for the changes in itinerary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2