Refund documentation question

noelbean21

We were originally booked on Symphony for 1/8/2022. Recently, we and asked for a full refund due to the health protocols. RC said that we will get a full refund within 30-45 days.

However, they said to get a full 100% refund without any penalties they have to process it internally without canceling our cruise first. If they cancelled it for us first instead of doing the internal refund process, we would only receive FCC. 

Since the reservation is not yet cancelled but instead set up for internal refund processing, they have refused to give us any email/invoice/documentation that states we will get a full refund. We have spoken to 2 different employees who both said the same thing. They have said we can call back with our reservation numbers and that everything is written in the notes of our reservation. 

Just wanted to see if anyone here has had a similar experience or if people have been able to get something in writing from the cruise line. We want to make sure we get all of our money back and have proof that they agreed to do so if necessary. 

1 hour ago, noelbean21 said:

We want to make sure we get all of our money back and have proof that they agreed to do so if necessary. 

If at least two different RCI CSR say that your booking has been cancelled for a refund, then just wait for the refund, though I'd call in about two weeks to see if there's a status update. RCI usually doesn't send cancellation confirmations.

1 hour ago, noelbean21 said:

We want to make sure we get all of our money back and have proof that they agreed to do so if necessary. 

If you do not get the refund, just call back, get a supervisor.  They can pull the tapes of the phone conversations and verify that the agent(s) told you that you would get a full refund (this can take a couple of days, but they will get back to you and confirm)

Just keep track of date and time of the call(s).

Edited by stevea36

I cancelled our January 17 FOTS cruise less than hour ago. I also gave protocols as the reason and asked for a full refund. The agent initially insisted on a FCC but after some give and take she checked with somebody and agreed to a full refund. The process she explained for this was exactly as you have described.  She did not cancel the booking but instead sent a “code” (whatever that means).to Accounting/Finance for cancellation and refund generation. She said it would take up to 21:days and that everything she told me was put in the notes for the booking. She said she could not email a confirmation of the transaction. 

At least our two  experiences were entirely consistent. 

Edited by CruiseOrRust
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, noelbean21 said:

We were originally booked on Symphony for 1/8/2022. Recently, we and asked for a full refund due to the health protocols. RC said that we will get a full refund within 30-45 days.

However, they said to get a full 100% refund without any penalties they have to process it internally without canceling our cruise first. If they cancelled it for us first instead of doing the internal refund process, we would only receive FCC. 

Since the reservation is not yet cancelled but instead set up for internal refund processing, they have refused to give us any email/invoice/documentation that states we will get a full refund. We have spoken to 2 different employees who both said the same thing. They have said we can call back with our reservation numbers and that everything is written in the notes of our reservation. 

Just wanted to see if anyone here has had a similar experience or if people have been able to get something in writing from the cruise line. We want to make sure we get all of our money back and have proof that they agreed to do so if necessary. 

As a TA who has had dozens of refunds processed the process you described is 100% correct.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gospelle said:

has anyone actually received their refund? If so, how long did it take to finally arrive?

Oct 10, 2021 cruise on Oasis cancelled because of covid.  Still waiting for FCC (used FCC and CC to book cruise).  Called twice on status with TA and was told still processing.  On the first call back with Royal they had misplaced the proof of covid e-mail.

Cancelled yesterday and was told the same thing - no way to send a cancellation email.

Called back today and their notes say we cancelled but again, no way to send a cancellation email.

Refund coming potentially after both final payment and the first day of the cruise (if it takes the full 45 days).

So I have no proof in my possession that the cruise was cancelled. Very unsettling and terrible customer service.

1 hour ago, Blackthorne said:

So I have no proof in my possession that the cruise was cancelled. Very unsettling and terrible customer service.

Totally agree.  I recently canceled 3 of our upcoming cruises.  Called both NCL and Princess and promptly received an email acknowledging the cancellation.  Called Royal and was told they "can't" send me anything showing that I cancelled in a timely fashion (before final payment with a refundable deposit).  I politely insisted and explained that this is a problem.  Was on an off hold for the next 40 minutes or so and finally was told I would have an email in 2 to 3 days.  Of course that email never materialized. 

Since this apparently the norm for Royal I am not really worried about getting my deposit back one of these days.  But I am amazed that a major corporation does not follow the very standard business practice of confirming things in writing.  It's very strange and, as you say, "unsettling"!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

But I am amazed that a major corporation does not follow the very standard business practice of confirming things in writing. 

Anyone closely following RCI's  IT and communications issues, would not be.

27 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Anyone closely following RCI's  IT and communications issues, would not be.

Ha, so true!  Royal's IT has been a mess for years.  I once cancelled a single shore excursion and later (accidentally, of course - no communication from Royal) found out they had cancelled my entire cruise.  Also not a fan of the very vague "receipt for deposit" email you get if you book online rather than call to make the booking.  And it is almost shady that there is no indication anywhere on your paperwork that your deposit is refundable.  (They just omit "NRD".)  I love Royal's beautiful ships BUT having to deal with their strangely incompetent IT has become a factor. 

• Like 1