Mask through Jan 31st?

CrzN4Info

2 hours ago, bassmaster150 said:

I call it more "freedoms" because we don't have mask mandates, etc.  I guess you could say "fewer laws"...either way, life is more fun in Texas for us...but note that my wife and I tend to keep to ourselves and keep our distance when possible.

We have the same “freedoms” or “fewer laws” in Alabama.  I must agree, Texas can be more fun. It was especially more fun this past weekend for our university. 🙂

Edited by CrzN4Info

11 hours ago, latserrof said:

For some people, "having to wear a mask" indicates that the cruise is not as safe as it should be.

That is 100% the message. IF they could be safe maskless, then that’s the way the cruise would be run. Since there is unacceptable risk without masks, everyone needs to wear them. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:47 AM, CrzN4Info said:

I always follow the rules so I guess I would get to go and not have to stay home. Sounds like they don't enforce it.  I'm mostly curious if they make you wear it outside on deck walking around or by the pool, at a bar where people go to socialize, etc.

We were handed a piece of paper when we checked-in for the covid test.  I did not see the mandate online before we left so we think it's possible that ours was the first cruise with the mandate. 

Masks were required anytime indoors and anytime you couldn't social distance while outside.  They provided two masks in our stateroom.  In St. Thomas, 100% indoor and outdoor.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

Assume they will be strict and you will be fine. Think about the safety of our beloved crew members and fellow passengers ❤️  Happy Cruising! 

The crew wear KN95 masks and every one of them covers their nose and mouth with the mask. From what I saw on NCL Joy, there was 100% compliance with crew wearing their masks correctly. That should be enough protection for the crew.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, DwayneG said:

If NCL rules say masks are required many on the cruise have chosen that cruise specifically because they expect those around them to be doing just that.  Since the rules are clearly spelled out and cancellations are offered it's probably best to choose another time if you don't want to wear one so that you don't offend others.  Kind of like the no smoking rule: lots of folks would RATHER smoke on their balconies or by the pool, but the rules say you can't do it so they don't (hopefully).  I personally feel pretty safe with my vaccine and booster because I'm pretty healthy, but I'll follow the rules to help protect those who might be more vulnerable.  Maybe some day this will all be over!

Those who are more vulnerable should wear only N95 or KN95 masks and wear them covering the nose and mouth. That is 95% protection. You can't ask for anything better than that. What I wear or don't wear should have no bearing on the protection people achieve if they wear those highly effective masks PROPERLY.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:34 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

It's best to be respectful and follow the rules the cruiseline has in place. I would just plan on having a mask rule in place for your sail date. If that isn't something you can or want to follow, just cancel 🙂

I agree. This is why hubby and I will not be sailing on a cruise ship again until the mask requirement has been lifted. We are fully vaxxed and boosted and prefer not to wear a mask anywhere on the ships. Oh well......just may have to wait another year or two to cruise again.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2022 at 8:59 PM, UKstages said:

i hope they don't lift the mask requirement.

covid, schmovid... i haven't had a cold in nearly two years!

I haven't had a cold in ..........I can't remember the last time I had a cold. Maybe 20 or 25 years ago but not sure. I don't need to wear a mask to keep me free of the common cold. My strong immune system takes care of it.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:20 AM, craig01020 said:

I was on the Gem in October with no masks and it was wonderful...it felt like 2019!

I booked a Jan. 9 cruise on the Bliss back when NCL was promoting "no masks required". That policy wasn't changed until after final payment date, or I would've cancelled. I don't want FCC, so I'll just suck it up and wear a mask when I need to.   😷

I was on the Joy for a week, just before the mask requirement went into effect. When we disembarked, the next cruise had a mask mandate. Whew! We got that cruise in just under the wire. It was a great cruise (once we get our cabin issue straightened out). It did feel like cruising in 2019 with the exception of having to wear a mask in every port we visited and masks were required for outdoors too. We did not get off the ship. Been there. Done that. No masking needed to stay on the ship.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 4:15 AM, SpainAlien said:

We cruised on Carnival at the end of November then NCL at the beginning of December. Carnival required a mask and (at that time) NCL did not. Both cruises were thoroughly enjoyable irrespective of the masking requirement. 

Three weeks prior to our mask free Joy cruise, we cruised on Royal's Serenade OTS. Masks were required with the exception of in vaccinated only venues. That four day cruise was enjoyable but a PIA too as we were constantly putting on the mask and taking it off. Never again will I cruise anywhere on any ship if we have to mask up. I'll stay home where masks requirements are only for health care facilities.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:10 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Our outlook is this:  if a cruise is so dangerous that we have to wear a mask, then it is too dangerous to cruise.

Did you have that same feeling when we had to wear masks in local grocery stores? Did a mask policy in any retail store or warehouse prevent you from shopping in a brick and mortar building? I know it didn't keep me away. I wore my mask as required but I didn't have to like it.

I don't want to wear a mask on a cruise ship when I'm paying good money for a vacation. I know not everyone feels as I do but not going to pay to have to wear a mask anywhere on a ship. I'll just wait it out.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, ECCruise said:

I completely get that, which is why I made it clear that I couldn't conceive of it.  I am not, under any circumstances, going to deny myself getting back and seeing the world over a 3 or 4 gram weight piece of fabric. 

The cruise lines thank you very much.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Oh, I agree the 3 or 4 gram weight piece of fabric would not be a big deal if it were in my pocket. Put it on my face and it becomes a big deal.  It's not the weight. It's the placement.

LOL! Agree totally.

4 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Did you have that same feeling when we had to wear masks in local grocery stores? Did a mask policy in any retail store or warehouse prevent you from shopping in a brick and mortar building? I know it didn't keep me away. I wore my mask as required but I didn't have to like it.

I don't want to wear a mask on a cruise ship when I'm paying good money for a vacation. I know not everyone feels as I do but not going to pay to have to wear a mask anywhere on a ship. I'll just wait it out.

You are very lucky as you can make your own choice. 

On 1/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, ECCruise said:

Just curious, actually with no intent.  Why?

For me, it is most inconvenient having to mask on/ mask off/mask on/mask off/ mask on/mask off. Such a royal PIA. I did it for four days on Royal's Serenade OTS and vow to never ever do it again. But........that is just me. Personally, I can not breath as easily with anything covering my nose and mouth and I'm sure most everyone would admit the same thing. I'm not saying my O2 sat suffers but I suffer with the uncomfortable feeling of having something covering my nose and mouth. We will not pay for an experience that requires masks anywhere. I'll stay home, where I don't have to mask up.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:55 PM, shamr0ck said:

We did a Christmas cruise on the Getaway.  Masking wasn't enforced nearly as much as we would have liked - folks with noses out or no mask at all in several places inside, especially during disembarkation.  Reports of passengers with symptoms out and about on excursions and staff ignoring reports of potentially ill passengers.  Several people just in our roll call tested positive within 4 days of disembarkation - not us, thankfully!  Trying to decide if we want to cancel the cruise we have planned for this year, just because everything is such a mess. 

Anyone who does not mind wearing a mask should invest in a mask that will protect them from others' germs. An N95 or KN95 will do the trick. Don't worry about anyone who is not masked. You are protected with a good grade mask that filters out 95% of pathogens. That is as good as it's going to get. Be around others who are maskless with confidence. Protect yourself and don't worry about others who don't protect themselves. Same goes on land, not only on cruise ships.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Anyone who does not mind wearing a mask should invest in a mask that will protect them from others' germs. An N95 or KN95 will do the trick. Don't worry about anyone who is not masked. You are protected with a good grade mask that filters out 95% of pathogens. That is as good as it's going to get. Be around others who are maskless with confidence. Protect yourself and don't worry about others who don't protect themselves. Same goes on land, not only on cruise ships.

Except for the science thing....that shows something different.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 3:52 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Surprising, I really thought that distancing was the most important thing.

Yes, I have heard that too. Especially when there are so many people who have no idea how to wear a mask properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

The crew wear KN95 masks and every one of them covers their nose and mouth with the mask. From what I saw on NCL Joy, there was 100% compliance with crew wearing their masks correctly. That should be enough protection for the crew.

If KN95 masks were enough to protect the crew I suspect the Pearl and Getaway would be sailing right now. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

On 1/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

Assume they will be strict and you will be fine. Think about the safety of our beloved crew members and fellow passengers ❤️  Happy Cruising! 

Amen,  if you can’t follow the safety rules don’t go

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Except for the science thing....that shows something different.

What does science show? As far as I understand, those KN95 and N95 masks offer 95% protection from airborne pathogens. No? What am I missing? Please let me know. Thanks.

54 minutes ago, Oxo said:

You are very lucky as you can make your own choice. 

Yes, agree. I do have to say that I'm seeing more and more KN95 and N95 masks being worn by people in my senior community here in Central Florida. Those cloth masks seem to have been ditched in the garbage.

Anyone who is informed, does not bother with cloth or surgical masks IF THEY WANT PROTECTION FOR THEMSELVES. I'm long past trying to protect others with a cloth mask. Been there. Done that. Not doing it anymore unless Florida imposes a mask mandate which I sincerely doubt will happen here.

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If KN95 masks were enough to protect the crew I suspect the Pearl and Getaway would be sailing right now. 

N95 masks are the best we can hope for. But.........they are only 95% effective at filtering out those pathogens, not 100% so there is that. You know the old saying.........."Nothing in life is 100% except death and taxes".

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Also.......let's not forget that the crew probably do not mask up when in crew quarters and while socializing at bars and such in crew areas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1