Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Hi, I'd like clarification on when I need to get my PCR test.  I'll be boarding on a Saturday in Quebec City Canada.  According to the Princess website, if doing a PCR test, a PCR test within 3 days of cruise.  So would the earliest test date be on the Wednesday before?

We're flying to Quebec City on Thursday and spending 2 nights before boarding on Saturday.  I do plan to purchase and bring the Optum BinaxNOW Antigen Telehealth test and maybe do the day before, but mostly I'd like to have a test in hand before leaving the US on Thursday, and hoping a PCR test taken on Wednesday will be valid, and not expired come Saturday boarding.  Looking for verification.

Thanks

3 hours ago, swdke said:

Hi, I'd like clarification on when I need to get my PCR test.  I'll be boarding on a Saturday in Quebec City Canada.  According to the Princess website, if doing a PCR test, a PCR test within 3 days of cruise.  So would the earliest test date be on the Wednesday before?

We're flying to Quebec City on Thursday and spending 2 nights before boarding on Saturday.  I do plan to purchase and bring the Optum BinaxNOW Antigen Telehealth test and maybe do the day before, but mostly I'd like to have a test in hand before leaving the US on Thursday, and hoping a PCR test taken on Wednesday will be valid, and not expired come Saturday boarding.  Looking for verification.

Thanks

That's correct.  Wednesday is the earliest you can take the test. If your Quebec hotel has wifi, you can also do it in hotel room and the result will be email to you right away and it takes about 15 mins to do the test.

4 hours ago, swdke said:

Thanks

Per Princess FAQ page when sailing from Canada it is 72 hours from sailing not 3 days

13 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I think the key is that it says OR. The way I read it, all you need is proof that you had a positive test and you are 10 days past it. This does mean you can't just take a home test...you would have to get a proctored test with documentation for it.

Exactly, I had a phone consult with Dr. after testing positive. He discussed symptoms and decided it would not be a false positive. He gave me a confirmation letter which stated that PCR tested could still show positive up to 90 days.

16 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I think the key is that it says OR. The way I read it, all you need is proof that you had a positive test and you are 10 days past it. This does mean you can't just take a home test...you would have to get a proctored test with documentation for it.

Bingo 👍

We  tested  "negative" the day before boarding the Grand Princess, but both caught Covid on board ship.  We were taken to a balcony cabin on Deck 12 (the Red Zone) and had all meals delivered, but no other services, other than temp. monitoring and further testing.  The staff did all they could to help us get off our luggage and avoid further passengers when we docked again in Vancouver. The good news is that Princess was very generous with us for a "goodwill credit" which will make the next cruise more enjoyable. Nicole

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi UK cruisers,

I have ordered DocHQ UK "Fit to travel antigen consultation". This is an online consultation and 4x certificates offered for people who have shop bought COVID tests. Does anyone know if this is an observed test that counts for Princess Southampton sailings? The website was a bit confusing as it has different types of test. 

21 hours ago, memoak said:

Per Princess FAQ page when sailing from Canada it is 72 hours from sailing not 3 days

That is true, Princess does state 72 hours from sailing.  But what do they consider sailing.  Would that be boarding time, or actual scheduled sailing time?  In my case we sail out of Quebec City, boarding is on a Saturday, but actual sailing is Sunday afternoon.  So when do I count back the 72 hours?  Thanks.

30 minutes ago, swdke said:

That is true, Princess does state 72 hours from sailing.  But what do they consider sailing.  Would that be boarding time, or actual scheduled sailing time?  In my case we sail out of Quebec City, boarding is on a Saturday, but actual sailing is Sunday afternoon.  So when do I count back the 72 hours?  Thanks.

Great question. I have no idea with a sailing date different from a boarding date. I would say only Princess could answer that one

1 minute ago, jc foster said:

Where can I get the Binax Now Home tests which are monitored and approved by Princess. This morning I tried Amazon along with CVS and Walgreens and they did not have the approved tests. THANKS 

Go to the Princess website, look under Covid and health requirements and there should be a mentioning of the Optum BinaxNOW Antigen test wit a link to take you to the Optum website to purchase.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, swdke said:

Go to the Princess website, look under Covid and health requirements and there should be a mentioning of the Optum BinaxNOW Antigen test wit a link to take you to the Optum website to purchase.

Thanks I did that and they show to be out of stock

21 minutes ago, jc foster said:

Yikes! I do see that they are out.  Just found out now as I was trying to purchase for myself.  Well, does anyone know how soon they replenish their supplies?  Thanks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swdke said:

40 minutes ago, jc foster said:

12 minutes ago, swdke said:

Yikes! I do see that they are out.  Just found out now as I was trying to purchase for myself.  Well, does anyone know how soon they replenish their supplies?  Thanks 

I'm a little surprised that the Optum Store is showing as out of stock.  Oh well, there's always eMed.  When I checked just now, not only did they have the 6-packs, they also have 2-packs for $70 (plus shipping).  Here's the link to their tests:  https://store.emed.com/s/category/covid19-athome-test-with-verified-lab-report-emed/0ZG8c000000LZXk?c__results_layout_state={}

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

There is also a site that proctors the free Government kits. Sorry I do not have the link, will try to find it. It is mentioned previously in this thread. $9 or so.

I would be a little nervous using this proctor unless you can get assurance’s from Princess that they will accept it 

• Like 1

Don't count on Walgreens. We were leaving from Whittier, AK on July 2, so we set up appointment for CoVid 2 days before at Walgreens. Showed up and they said their Pharmacy had been closed for weeks and that I shouldn't have been able to make the appointment. No one was of any help, not even apologetic. We had to scramble to find a secondary place, and I would give the name, but they closed on July 1st, so not available any longer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I would be a little nervous using this proctor unless you can get assurance’s from Princess that they will accept it 

It has been accepted. per many comments on CC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, memoak said:

My concern is the FAQ which states the tele health provider must be affiliated with the test manufacturer 

They are:

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihealth-verified-covid-test-service

There have been dozens of posts on CC. The free tests from the government can be proctored through iHealthlabs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Meer said:

Can we get tested at Fort Lauderdale cruise port before boarding? Thanks.

This place is close to the port and right across the street from the Embassy Suites  on 17th St in Fort Lauderdale. They offer walk in testing and are quick. Have used them multiple times with great success. 👍

https://labdoctor.org/

• Like 1