Has anyone recently been quarantineed for close covid contact on Ship?

Beach Life 1

Has anyone recently been quarantined for close covid  contact  (not positive,  just close contact) on ship?  What exactly happens?   Are you allowed to stay in your cabin, or are  you  moved to another cabin?  Do you only get food from the room service menu,  nothing else?    Can you get alcoholic drinks?  Are you tested after a couple of days,  and then allowed out if you are negative, or are you quarantined for days and days?  I know there have been some posts on here from a couple of weeks ago.  I was wondering if there is anyone that has first hand experience recently,  and if things have changed regarding quarantine.  I wish NCL would put it  in writing, so we can make an informed decision for sailing. Thanks 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hallux said:

This thread, 3 below yours as I type this, might have some info on the close-contact as it was a member of the family that tested positive - 

Maybe someone in this thread posted a recent experience?

Thank you,  I have read those posts.   I'm wondering if someone has close contact,  but is not positive,  what happens then.

My understanding of the protocols is that they will quarantine you until you can be tested (PCR) and it comes back negative.  I've heard that they provide room service (no service charge) as well as some extra movies to watch.  I think there were a few posts early on during the return about this, but I cannot find them, but that was what I remember from them.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

There are several recent threads on this forum that deal with this subject.

I know there are several threads.  I can only recall one thread that the OP said his wife was positive and moved.  He and his daughter also moved to another cabin, and only had room service menu. I'm wondering if things have changed since then.   Maybe there were more posts,  but I don't recall them.   I'm not asking if you  or your cabin mate  are positive,  I'm asking if you only had close contact with someone randomly on the ship, do you have to move to a different cabin?

I’d like to know, too. And not if a family member or cabin mate tests positive, but some random person you sat next to at the comedy club or on a shore excursions bus. Haven’t seen any threads with recent, specific  information about that. Only about what happens if people in your traveling party test positive. 

4 hours ago, jezabel80 said:

I know there are several threads.  I can only recall one thread that the OP said his wife was positive and moved.  He and his daughter also moved to another cabin, and only had room service menu. I'm wondering if things have changed since then.   Maybe there were more posts,  but I don't recall them.   I'm not asking if you  or your cabin mate  are positive,  I'm asking if you only had close contact with someone randomly on the ship, do you have to move to a different cabin?

There was a recent thread where a couple was notified on the Gem that they were exposed to Covid and had to quarantine for their entire cruise.  They remained in their own cabin. They had food delivered in Styrofoam containers.  They asked to be tested since they were asymptomatic, but NCL told them they would not test during the cruise.  They did not mention alcohol, but you can of course order alcohol to your cabin (bar set-up.)  Any alcohol delivered to the cabin is not covered by any beverage plans. They were told they could watch pay-per-view movies for free, but were still charged.  They seemed very frustrated, understandably.

The bottom line is that you are taking a risk cruising at this time. NCL is not making any guarantees that they will test you and if you are negative you can be released from quarantine, etc.  That's not how Covid works anyway.  You could be exposed today and be incubating the virus and it won't show up on a test for days. 

Even if someone posted here that they were treated like royalty once they were exposed, it's not a guarantee that the same would happen to anyone else.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't cruise (I actually just got back a few weeks ago myself), but anyone cruising now needs to go into it knowing that that anything could happen and not have any expectations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do they give you the details of where/when you may have been close to someone who tested positive? I’m sure they can’t give names bc of HIPPA (does that even exist in international waters?) but do they at least give you some inkling?

I know it’s a super far fetched thought, but if you, knowingly or not, tick off an employee, they can theoretically quarantine you for having “close contact” as retribution. And then come up with excuses that they’re not testing on board. Crazy, I know and not likely to happen, but I’m curious if they show you anything or you just have to take their word for it. 
I know there’s facial recognition everywhere these days (from before covid) but I like to go by facts. 

5 minutes ago, Not_too_sirius said:

I don't drink much hard liquor.  We got Quarantined on Jan 1st and Yes 2 glasses of wine at a time but no bottle. 

So they found you were " in close contact" or did you have symptoms? Did they test for covid? Also wondering if you stayed in your original cabin or moved. Please! We need answers lol

• Like 1

Just now, jeffw67 said:

So they found you were " in close contact" or did you have symptoms? Did they test for covid? Also wondering if you stayed in your original cabin or moved. Please! We need answers lol

You beat me to it.  I was just about to post the same questions.

WE had negative PCR tests prior to boarding Dec 23 after reading the fine print about "help" if you contracted on the ship. 

We also tested negative as we boarded with the antigen test. 

She got sniffles a few days out which developed into a "COLD". She was looking for Nyquil but any drugs must go through the ship's Dr. .... $199.00 call but required a test (why if not SEEING the Doctor?)  Lady in HAZMAT came up and about 2 ours later we got THE CALL

She was stunned to be positive but they refused to re-test

OR

Test me saying I MUST have it due to contact.

(This was a recurring story  with the 50 or so others dropped at the hotel, Why wouldn't they test ANYONE who asked?)

SO we were quarantined to our cabin.  THANK THE LORD they had accepted our upgrade bid for a balcony or after a day or so, I might have chewed a hole through the bulkhead. Free room service from guys in HAZMAT suits.  Free movies after We asked.  Reimbursed WIFI after we asked.

As far as I know there were no announcements or changes to any activities such as the "Glow Party".

I'm shutting up now as I worry I may have already exceeded the board rules and there is TOO MUCH to tell.  I do not speak conjecture and can only tell you what WE experienced. You can google  Napa woman cruise Covid for her interview. about this.

For me the bottom line is that in my humble opinion:

VACATION is priceless and TIME is the one thing that cannot be bought or replaced.

17 minutes ago, jeffw67 said:

We were on the ESCAPE out of Orlando.

Well, I consider living in the same cabin for a couple weeks would be close contact.  She was tested POSITIVE and VERY symptomatic (Headache Full head lots of Coughing) so  I was "presumed" to have it without testing me as they reasoned I must have it due to contact.

We stayed in our original cabin as did everyone we spoke on the "special Disembarkation" to that didn't go to the infirmary.

Edited by Not_too_sirius
add information

4 minutes ago, Not_too_sirius said:

WE had negative PCR tests prior to boarding Dec 23 after reading the fine print about "help" if you contracted on the ship. 

We also tested negative as we boarded with the antigen test. 

She got sniffles a few days out which developed into a "COLD". She was looking for Nyquil but any drugs must go through the ship's Dr. .... $199.00 call but required a test (why if not SEEING the Doctor?)  Lady in HAZMAT came up and about 2 ours later we got THE CALL

She was stunned to be positive but they refused to re-test

OR

Test me saying I MUST have it due to contact.

(This was a recurring story  with the 50 or so others dropped at the hotel, Why wouldn't they test ANYONE who asked?)

SO we were quarantined to our cabin.  THANK THE LORD they had accepted our upgrade bid for a balcony or after a day or so, I might have chewed a hole through the bulkhead. Free room service from guys in HAZMAT suits.  Free movies after We asked.  Reimbursed WIFI after we asked.

As far as I know there were no announcements or changes to any activities such as the "Glow Party".

I'm shutting up now as I worry I may have already exceeded the board rules and there is TOO MUCH to tell.  I do not speak conjecture and can only tell you what WE experienced. You can google  Napa woman cruise Covid for her interview. about this.

For me the bottom line is that in my humble opinion:

VACATION is priceless and TIME is the one thing that cannot be bought or replaced.

Thanks for the info.  Hope your wife is feeling better now.

4 minutes ago, Not_too_sirius said:

Well, I consider living in the same cabin for a couple weeks would be close contact.  She was tested POSITIVE and I was "presumed" to have it as they reasoned I must have it.

I'm glad you and your wife are ok. 

What ship did you sail on? I'm surprised you were allowed to stay in your cabin given the other reports of being moved to a quarantine ward.