Pandemic Pollyanna

morpheusofthesea

Here is another observation gleaned from recent experience of past cruises since "restart". Do not know that it was the wisest of courses to take, but none the less it was taken.... On board our last cruise which ended January 3, 2022 the Captain made a final announcement, that despite the (small) outbreak we had on board, 40 passengers were staying on board for the next cruise. Did he have advanced knowledge of the number of cancellations coming? Or was it to acknowledge the 'fortitude' or 'stubbornness' or 'gratitude' for the confidence these guests had in the ships protocols. Most of us when booking a cruise wonder if it is too long to be away from home in  such times, B2B, B2B2B, etc.., but when one is having such a good time on a cruise, the time just flies past and the cruise is never really long enough. We have not been so bold and have limited our cruises to 7-12 nights maximum in order to recuperate (and lose the weight we put on from the cruise). We certainly understand our fellow cruisers and encourage their moxie ("Their ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage").

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are few certainties in life, just possibilities. We take risks day-to-day with everyday work life. I'm lucky and can work from home but my partner has to go into work every day. In February I have to start going into the office several days a week, and in many ways that will be LESS safe than being on a cruise. (No mask wearing req'd in the office, no regular testing req'd, seating plan that is NOT socially distanced, etc)

If I'm going to have to take those risks back in the office next month then I am DEFINITELY willing to take them going on one of those life events that bring me great joy: a cruise on a beautiful ship! We're flying down to Miami this Friday just as temperatures at home plummet again. I'm going on this with eyes open to the possibilities, but the most likely outcome is that we have another wonderful cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 4:28 PM, shipgeeks said:

I'm also not terrified of being quarantined.  I've never needed a balcony cabin to be happy; an inside would not be the end of the world

A most exemplary attitude to have. I must role model you. I only dread the affect it would have on DW and then she upon me in a small inside with no means of my escape.

• Haha 2

On 1/15/2022 at 1:11 PM, Fla Mike said:

That's me!

Me too! Smack in the middle between Everglades and Canaveral

Well, I;m old, vaxxed, and boosted and have more wrong with me than right. Really. I do.

I like to say I take more drugs now,  then when I took drugs! 🤫

I also understand people are still dying from this. I just lost a dear friend that I worked with for over 20 years to COVID. The proverbial healthy as a horse, hardly ever left the house and worked from home, but unvaxxed. Sad.

We are all adults and need to weigh the pros and cons that work for us.

Personally, my wife and I and again,  we are both vaxxed and boosted, never go out. Only to Publix, and Walmart for food shopping and, doctor visits, but only the last few months in person. I am also going back to virtual visits.

Avoided the big New Years party in my neighborhood again for the second year. Most people walked away with COVID from it.

But when it comes to cruising, I'll take my chances. I spend enough time cooped up and being careful, but I'm not stupid.

Our Carnival cruise in September, we went to the comedy show and turned around and left, place was packed solid.

Our Divina cruise in November was almost a ghost ship, really easy to avoid people if you want.

So if my Meraviglia cruise for Valentine's day is a go, so am I.

Most likely I will bid up on a Aurea suite with hot tub. I could spend four days in that room no problem.

My wife agrees with me. God forbid if we do get sick, or worse, we have no one to blame.

I’m also on Meraviglia Week of February 13 doing b2b for total of 7 days. 

I’m vaccinated and had Covid & the monoclonal antibodies! Missed a cruise because of it! I’ve been cruising since restart and will continue to cruise. Life Is short and I plan on living it! 

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 3:32 AM, HappyInVan said:

What about that mysterious entity known as Dreadful Debby?

She's still at home, refusing to answer any of my calls. Another protocol (or lack thereof) that we did not FULLY appreciate while sailing with Celebrity Cruises (but do now) is they do not force ALL passengers to covid re-test  mid cruise. There is very little, an already 'anxious' cruiser, can do waiting for the dreaded moment of "Will I NOW test positive and be isolated/quarantined?" Some cruise lines just 'push the envelope' too far on the psyche and wonder why cruisers are afraid to cruise right now.

I say "sour grapes to sour grapes !"  The grapes (today's cruising) are actually sweeter than ever before. The sourness in cruising will be back, perhaps all too soon, as reports of this variant begins to wane, and we again are inundated on these boards with complaints from cruisers sailing on future cruises and not finding 'Nirvana' that now is being served. On the last 6 cruises since restart, I/we have found NOTHING to complain about (except too many nuts in my desserts).

• Like 2

I had a grilled chocolate chip cookie that I mistakenly ordered without the requisite scoop of vanilla ice cream (trying to skip some extra calories) which had more melting chocolate chips than cookie. It put me into 'sugar shock' for the next 24 hours. I was unable to have another sweet. Thankfully it wore off the following evening and I was able to have my usual slice of apple pie a la mode, followed by slice of chocolate cake, finished with a slice of cheese cake (all in that order, sweetest last). That was after- dinner desserts. Since we dine early, I had 'room' for buffet desserts after the theatre. Only once at the buffet after the theatre was I tempted with a plate of cordon bleu I glimpsed as I passed by with my plate of desserts.

Yes, I was overweight for a good many years, but covid changed my life. In January 2020 we all heard it was the comorbidities that this virus 'enhanced'. So I lost 50 maybe 60 lbs (I did not really look at the scale when I started). My doctor was happy (he only was looking for 10 lbs), I was scared. Now I am my 'normal' weight for my height ratio. I gained 10 lbs on my first cruise, but took them off again in the weeks leading up to our second cruise. And it has been that way ever since. 10 lbs on, 10 lbs off. I am practicing for a future B2B this summer.

1 hour ago, Davevics25 said:

My fear now is that I am on the cruise for 14days . That is a long time to catch it .and not to be tested in between is worrying 

You are absolutely right to be worried having 'flown' over just to take a cruise. "On April 4, 2021 a flight from Delhi to Hong Kong all passengers tested negative within 72 hours of departure. During the 3 week mandatory quarantine in Hong Kong 53 tested positive." This plane has a maximum capacity of 188.

The time between cruises is a time to reflect. Reading (and many times rereading) the same posts reflecting the feelings of angst that many of us sidelined cruisers are experiencing right now. Most of us enthusiastic cruisers of decades are taking this pandemic with 'a grain of salt' and push on making excuses for our favorite cruise lines 'antics'. Others are venting profusely at the 'injustices' (?) being perpetrated. But people It is 'Raining' still and we all have been told,

"(Definition of) When it rains, it pours

US, informal

—used to say that when something bad happens other bad things usually happen at the same time." But we forget. It is far from over. One top of the line cruise line has just succumbed. Others are being attacked for ecological transgressions, still others for egregious treatment of staff and crew. What is next ? 

It is like going to war, I tend to 'keep my head down' and only talk about cruising with fellow enthusiasts on social media (or from 4 tables over while on a cruise ship). Otherwise I will be lambasted for supporting criminal 'petrie dishes'.

My answer has been to book far in advance, as often as I can, (time is no longer on my side) in a nice cabin with a nice balcony (nice means it has at least one recliner) on a ship that caters to suite class with exceptional dining and service. I tip extra cash profusely to those that service my limited wants.

17 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Nope, not solely.

No, but here in the States, it is statistically more likely.  No one argues the risk is there for everyone, but as of 27 January, analysis here in the state of Ohio (midwest area), unvaccinated adults had five times the risk of infection and more than 50 times the risk of COVID-19-associated death.  The booster shot may be influencing some of those statistics a bit.  Studies show that the booster is effective at reducing both COVID hospitalizations and ER visits. That would cause the rise in unvaccinated serious illness rates since in theory, if 200 vaccinated and 200 unvaccinated persons got COVID, very few of the unvaccinated would likely present at the hospital for treatment.  All in all, though, I would say for DW and I, we are three jabbed and ready to cruise at the end of February.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I believe you mean to say 'very few of the *vaccinated* would likely present..."

In any case, your age makes a big difference. Vax elderly still taking a big hit.

Thanks on that. I caught it after "Submit."

For elderly (self included), I'm not sure if we totally agree.  Our CDC as of 1/27 says, "Getting vaccinated prevents severe illness, hospitalizations, and death. People 65 and older who received both doses of either Pfizer or Moderna vaccines showed a 94% reduced risk of COVID-19 related hospitalization. Unvaccinated people should get vaccinated and continue masking until they are fully vaccinated. With the Delta variant, this is more urgent than ever. CDC has updated guidance for fully vaccinated people based on new evidence on the Delta variant."   Not sure what your PHA says in Canada, to be honest.  I know death rates are significantly lower. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Thanks on that. I caught it after "Submit."

For elderly (self included), I'm not sure if we totally agree.  Our CDC as of 1/27 says, "Getting vaccinated prevents severe illness, hospitalizations, and death. People 65 and older who received both doses of either Pfizer or Moderna vaccines showed a 94% reduced risk of COVID-19 related hospitalization. Unvaccinated people should get vaccinated and continue masking until they are fully vaccinated. With the Delta variant, this is more urgent than ever. CDC has updated guidance for fully vaccinated people based on new evidence on the Delta variant."   Not sure what your PHA says in Canada, to be honest.  I know death rates are significantly lower. 

'tis signs of the times.....death rates & cruising.....cruise and death rates

Covid GO AWAY!.......Or bring your super weakkkkkkkk cousin to take over the world instead

Been on 6 cruises since July 2021 and both DW and I have been more enthused about cruising than ever before. Never have we experienced such service. I hesitate every time I post because I fear I am 'shooting myself in my foot' by trumpeting my joy. I console myself from the low numbers of followers that are actually reading my posts, that the experiences cruisers are now enjoying should really be kept secret for the very select few of us that venture out against all other warnings against cruising. Please, no one listen to my ramblings and babblings, I am just reverting into a child again in my old age. Stay home. We have gone 'haywire' and booked too many more cruises hoping things do not change before we exhaust each and every one of them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Been on 6 cruises since July 2021 and both DW and I have been more enthused about cruising than ever before. Never have we experienced such service. I hesitate every time I post because I fear I am 'shooting myself in my foot' by trumpeting my joy. I console myself from the low numbers of followers that are actually reading my posts, that the experiences cruisers are now enjoying should really be kept secret for the very select few of us that venture out against all other warnings against cruising. Please, no one listen to my ramblings and babblings, I am just reverting into a child again in my old age. Stay home. We have gone 'haywire' and booked too many more cruises hoping things do not change before we exhaust each and every one of them.

Just wondering if you will be cruising during the summer in the Caribbean or will you venture over to Europe for a cruise. I know it’s so convenient for you now as you are within driving distance of the ports. If we didn’t have so many obstacles to get through from Canada, I would love to be cruising now with the low numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We do not choose a cruise line or cruise ship by their flavorful 'hot dogs and hamburgers'. We, unfortunately, never acquired a taste for caviar or Chateauneuf-du-Pape, either. So whenever we experience an entree that does not suit us we order a second. No sending back, no redo. Within minutes another hot entree. We never (remember) having a bad meal on any cruise ship (never sailed Carnival). Wish we had, might not have gained 10 lbs in the week's cruise. We base a ship on its suite class of cabin, balcony, service, distance to restaurants (not having to take a crowded elevator even in the best of times). All this came about most recently having taken advantage of some good deals in suite pricing. We admit that pricing has jumped up quite a bit in the suite categories and we will just have to think twice about the sailings in the lower suites. Cruising in the higher suites has just become an addiction for both of us. Our family might have to do 'intervention' to stop us from spending their inheritances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Just wondering if you will be cruising during the summer in the Caribbean

DW used to travel with empty suitcases which we would travel the world and she would fill up with fashion (and always had to buy another suitcase while traveling) usually combining a cruise with a pre and post. Today we do not wish to fly, the airlines will not allow DW 8  (now 9) suitcases. We are presently booked for the summer on Seashore.