Live-ish from the 1/16 Encore Sailing!

Quincella

I can’t believe we actually made it!  

Step 1: Negative Covid test 72 hours ago

Step 2: Hope NCL doesn’t cancel the cruise

Step 3: Change flights to avoid snow and canceled flights

Step 4: Test negative at the port 

As I type, I’m enjoying a cup of coffee from the Haven check-in area.  It’s nice!  They have coffee, juice, some pastry and canapés.  

Check-in was a bit of a clown show, but it didn’t take any time.  We got here at about 8:45 for our 9:00 testing time. The porter took our luggage and told us where to go. When we got in, the security woman did not say what she wanted me to do. She just kept doing some sort of pantomime that I ended up realizing meant she wanted me to put my purse on her table and spread my arms and legs so she could wand me, but why she didn’t just speak those words is beyond me. 

So then we went inside to the testing warehouse where they asked for passports and vaccine cards, then in line to wait for them to start testing at 9:00. I’m glad we got in early because lines were forming quickly. 

When our turn came, we went to the testing table, swabbed our noses, and were sent to wait.  We received texts with links to our results about 20 minutes later, showed it to some other people who gave us wrist bands, then tried to figure out where to go next. 

Turns out that next place was actually outside and around the building. Through security again, where we had to show passports, and boarding passes, then inside to the physical security line where we went through the metal detector.   Then over to the line to get actually checked in and get our keys, and then, finally, the lounge to wait. 

When I say it was a clown show, I actually just mean there were a lot of steps with little, if any, direction. That said, we arrived at 8:45 and were through everything in less than an hour.  Not too shabby. 

I titled this post “live-ish,” because Im sure I won’t post an actual play by play, every day, in spite of my best intentions.  BUT…if anyone wants to know or see anything in particular I’ll do my best to get to it. Just let me know.  I’m assuming the number one thing on everyone’s minds will be where the heck we actually go once we set sail. I know that’s my biggest question!   

• Like 8

Congrats! I didn't think NCL actually had any ships sailing at the moment, what with all the cancellations and postponements! 

You mentioned you're in the Haven lounge enjoying coffee... I'm curious, as I'm doing Haven for the first time in March (on the Getaway): Did they handle testing, etc any differently for Haven guests? Or was it all sort of one big mish-mash? 

Hope you have an amazing time! 

9 minutes ago, Tralfie said:

Congrats! I didn't think NCL actually had any ships sailing at the moment, what with all the cancellations and postponements! 

You mentioned you're in the Haven lounge enjoying coffee... I'm curious, as I'm doing Haven for the first time in March (on the Getaway): Did they handle testing, etc any differently for Haven guests? Or was it all sort of one big mish-mash? 

Hope you have an amazing time! 

Nothing different for Haven guests until after testing. 

• Like 1

We'll be on the Encore in 2 weeks! We also have a 9am check-in time, so it's great to hear some first-hand feedback from someone else with an early check-in. We'll plan on getting there a little early too. Looking forward to hearing more about your cruise. Have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoy.  We were supposed to sail on Epic today, but it got to the point that with all the testing with brain swab, illness risk, air travel uncertainty, risk of positive at the pier, port uncertainty, cancelled entertainment, possibly closed specialty restaurants, risk of getting quarantined somewhere, etc. it did not look to be enjoyable.

Then to seal the deal, my wife tested Thursday and received a positive results Friday, and the rest of us have been tested yesterday and are awaiting

I do not regret that we are not sailing under these conditions.  I think the cruise would have created some stressors, and been far less relaxing than a normal cruise, I do regret that we are under these conditions, and really hope we will get back toward normal soon.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quincella said:

BUT…if anyone wants to know or see anything in particular I’ll do my best to get to it. Just let me know.

If you get a chance, can you post some photos of the wine list including the by-glass selection?  Trying to decide if upgrading to the "plus" package makes sense or just buy my DW some decent bottles (she's not a big cocktail person, but likes decent wine!).  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Quincella said:

I can’t believe we actually made it!  

Step 1: Negative Covid test 72 hours ago

Step 2: Hope NCL doesn’t cancel the cruise

Step 3: Change flights to avoid snow and canceled flights

Step 4: Test negative at the port 

As I type, I’m enjoying a cup of coffee from the Haven check-in area.  It’s nice!  They have coffee, juice, some pastry and canapés.  

Check-in was a bit of a clown show, but it didn’t take any time.  We got here at about 8:45 for our 9:00 testing time. The porter took our luggage and told us where to go. When we got in, the security woman did not say what she wanted me to do. She just kept doing some sort of pantomime that I ended up realizing meant she wanted me to put my purse on her table and spread my arms and legs so she could wand me, but why she didn’t just speak those words is beyond me. 

So then we went inside to the testing warehouse where they asked for passports and vaccine cards, then in line to wait for them to start testing at 9:00. I’m glad we got in early because lines were forming quickly. 

When our turn came, we went to the testing table, swabbed our noses, and were sent to wait.  We received texts with links to our results about 20 minutes later, showed it to some other people who gave us wrist bands, then tried to figure out where to go next. 

Turns out that next place was actually outside and around the building. Through security again, where we had to show passports, and boarding passes, then inside to the physical security line where we went through the metal detector.   Then over to the line to get actually checked in and get our keys, and then, finally, the lounge to wait. 

When I say it was a clown show, I actually just mean there were a lot of steps with little, if any, direction. That said, we arrived at 8:45 and were through everything in less than an hour.  Not too shabby. 

I titled this post “live-ish,” because Im sure I won’t post an actual play by play, every day, in spite of my best intentions.  BUT…if anyone wants to know or see anything in particular I’ll do my best to get to it. Just let me know.  I’m assuming the number one thing on everyone’s minds will be where the heck we actually go once we set sail. I know that’s my biggest question!   

Did you test 72 hours prior just in case? It appears that is not required for the next couple of sailings.  

59 minutes ago, KurtMo said:

If you get a chance, can you post some photos of the wine list including the by-glass selection?  Trying to decide if upgrading to the "plus" package makes sense or just buy my DW some decent bottles (she's not a big cocktail person, but likes decent wine!).  Thanks.

I will absolutely try to remember to do that!

42 minutes ago, Annies88 said:

Did you test 72 hours prior just in case? It appears that is not required for the next couple of sailings.  

We did. It is not a requirement,  but if we were to test positive at the port and would like NCL assistance for lodging and such, you have to show proof of a negative test within 96 hours of sailing.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bortman23 said:

Congrats, enjoy! We're likely cancelling out Encore sailing on Jan 23 😞

Oh no!  I understand. Everyone has to do what makes them most comfortable.  

As of this minute, we’re still scheduled for GSC tomorrow, and there are only 1530 passengers scheduled for this cruise. I’m really glad we made the decision not to cancel, but like I said I completely understand those who do. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Quincella said:

As of this minute, we’re still scheduled for GSC tomorrow, and there are only 1530 passengers scheduled for this cruise. I’m really glad we made the decision not to cancel, but like I said I completely understand those who do. 

We’re you always scheduled for gsc tomorrow? My itinerary for 1/23 has us there Saturday. I truly appreciate your responses here.  

4 hours ago, Quincella said:

When we got in, the security woman did not say what she wanted me to do. She just kept doing some sort of pantomime that I ended up realizing meant she wanted me to put my purse on her table and spread my arms and legs so she could wand me, but why she didn’t just speak those words is beyond me. 

OMG U was about 15 minutes behind you and EXACT SAME Experience! She was so frustrated with me! Very thick accent, and I went in thinking I was going to need to show my bar code to get into the Covid testing. Didn’t realize it was security because there was just this tiny little table and it looked nothing like security. Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one who had no idea what she was trying to tell me! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quincella said:

Thanks, yeah it was a difficult choice, but we're traveling in from Canada so it just made sense to try again later in the year. 

Enjoy! Following along.

• Like 1

Have a great time! We are sailing next week! I do have a couple questions, if you have time!!

1. When testing is it self administered?Or do they have someone swab you?
2. Do you know if the internet packages are cheaper once on board? We got the 250 minutes as a promotion but have a kiddo at home ( staying with grandparents 🤪) and we would like to be available if needed. I wasn't sure if I should upgrade now or wait til we are on board. 

Thanks for your time and have a great time!!!

40 minutes ago, Annies88 said:

We’re you always scheduled for gsc tomorrow? My itinerary for 1/23 has us there Saturday. I truly appreciate your responses here.  

Yes! what is your itinerary? Would love to know how it compares to the sailing on 1/23. Would love it is GSC was first!

7 minutes ago, amnorto87 said:

Have a great time! We are sailing next week! I do have a couple questions, if you have time!!

2. Do you know if the internet packages are cheaper once on board? We got the 250 minutes as a promotion but have a kiddo at home ( staying with grandparents 🤪) and we would like to be available if needed. I wasn't sure if I should upgrade now or wait til we are on board. 

1. The test is self-administered.  
2.  I just checked the Freestyle Daily and I don’t see anything about internet discounts.  I booked my in advance. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, amnorto87 said:

Yes! what is your itinerary? Would love to know how it compares to the sailing on 1/23. Would love it is GSC was first!

Monday:  GSC

Tuesday: Sea Day

Wednesday: St. Thomas

Thursday: Tortola

Friday: Puerto Plata

Saturday: Sea Day

Now we’ll just have to wait and see if that all sticks. I’ll be shocked if it does. 🙂

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, amnorto87 said:

You can upgrade your internet onboard.  They'll charge you the full amount, and credit you back the 250 minute package.

45 minutes ago, Quincella said:

Monday:  GSC

Tuesday: Sea Day

Wednesday: St. Thomas

Thursday: Tortola

Friday: Puerto Plata

Saturday: Sea Day

Now we’ll just have to wait and see if that all sticks. I’ll be shocked if it does. 🙂

The 1/23 sailing is the same, but in reverse!