Has RCL changed your cabin without your permission?

nini

I am curious if anyone on RCL has experienced having their cabins changed without your permission? Princess is very busy doing this, and they say it is per CDC regulations. I think they are setting up quarantine areas as far away as for June sailings. Many people are upset about this and there is no reimbursement. We have been moved from a nice balcony cabin to a tiny balcony. We are not the only ones. So, is this industry wide? Thanks.

15 minutes ago, nini said:

I am curious if anyone on RCL has experienced having their cabins changed without your permission? Princess is very busy doing this, and they say it is per CDC regulations. I think they are setting up quarantine areas as far away as for June sailings. Many people are upset about this and there is no reimbursement. We have been moved from a nice balcony cabin to a tiny balcony. We are not the only ones. So, is this industry wide? Thanks.

Yes. 

For our 13 March and 20 March B2B cruise on the Explorer. This is the first time we've experienced this no matter the cruise line. I had the TA call and put me on a three way with RC. I told the TA and RC rep we weren't happy about the move and I believe we should receive some sort of compensation. RC rep agreed (...you're a valued costumer and in the top three tier level and blah, blah, blah...) and gave us extra $100.00 OBC (hopefully tier level had nothing to do with getting the extra OBC) for each leg of the B2B cruise. We were on deck 8 and at least RC reassigned us to deck 7 and not on a deck where there is public areas above or below us. The new cabin is the same type of cabin and in the same location directly below the cabin we had on deck 8. That's good.  

We also always book early so we get to pick the exact cabin we want. Location and surroundings are a huge factor in our bookings. And we always want to make sure we have the same cabin for each leg of our B2B cruises. We have never and will never book a guarantee category. Too many unknowns. 

Edited by davekathy

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes. 

For our 13 March and 20 March B2B cruise. This is the first time we've experienced this no matter the cruise line. I had the TA call and put me on a three way with RC. I told the TA and RC rep we weren't happy about the move and I believe we should receive some sort of compensation. RC rep agreed (...you're a valued costumer and in the top three tier level and blah, blah, blah...) and gave us extra $100.00 OBC for each leg of the B2B cruise. We were on deck 8 and at least RC reassigned us to deck 7 and not on a deck where there is public areas above or below us. The new cabin is the same type of cabin and in the same location directly below the cabin we had on deck 8. That's good.  

We also always book early so we get to pick the exact cabin we want. Location and surroundings are a huge factor in our bookings. And we always want to make sure we have the same cabin for each leg of our B2B cruises. We have never and will never book a guarantee category. Too many unknowns. 

Exactly! We do the same! I am glad you made a bit of headway. We are Platinum with Princess and very upset.

19 minutes ago, nini said:

Exactly! We do the same! I am glad you made a bit of headway. We are Platinum with Princess and very upset.

IMO, tier level should have absolutely nothing to do with any compensation or consideration for the change. Are you cruising with RC? 

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

IMO, tier level should have absolutely nothing to do with any compensation or consideration for the change. 

I honor your opinion. My point is that we are not brand new customers. AND, we were moved to a LESS expensive cabin and not compensated which has NOTHING to do with loyalty level, just honest business. Bait and Switch ring a bell?

1 minute ago, nini said:

I honor your opinion. My point is that we are not brand new customers. AND, we were moved to a LESS expensive cabin and not compensated which has NOTHING to do with loyalty level, just honest business. Bait and Switch ring a bell?

The only reason I brought up tier level is you did and it sounds to me that you believe tier level should be a consideration for the move. Call and cancel based on the reassignment. 

We had two connecting junior suites on Symphony over spring break and we were notified we were being moved.  Was irritated as we booked in part to get the connecting juniors.

They moved us to two next-door Grand Suites.  Irritation quickly went away!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, nini said:

If you were moved to a lower category then you need to call back and push the issue.  It is one thing to move someone to the same category different floor but not to a lower category.  I would not be happy either.  

• Like 2

Well we were on  Anthem of the Seas December 12th cruise and had booked an accessible balcony cabin and were very surprised to get an e-mail telling us we were changed to an accessible Jr. Suite. Best Christmas present ever! Never had anything like that happen to us before so we really appreciated it. So guess you never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

While I understand the frustration and agree that a fare adjustment should be made as a result of the switch to a less expensive stateroom category, I highly doubt there is any relation to bait and switch as you suggest. It may, as you originally suggest, have to due with potential quarantine planning. 

If you used a TA I would talk with them, or if not, talk directly with the cruise line about a fare adjustment.  That should have occurred automatically with the stateroom change.  If there is none coming, unless you are in a significant penalty situation with your booking, I would cancel the cruise and rebook to a different one - likely on a different cruise line.  To my knowledge this is not industry wide and in our recent two cruises since October I have not seen it happen with our cruise line.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

I am sure you would not have like to be moved to a lower category without compensation which is what happened to us and our cruising buddies.

No, absolutely.  But … we’re you assigned the same type of cabin just on a different deck?  I guess the same cabins on different decks can have a price difference.  

10 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

No, absolutely.  But … we’re you assigned the same type of cabin just on a different deck?  I guess the same cabins on different decks can have a price difference.  

Yes - the same type of stateroom on different decks and different deck locations can be priced differently.  Many cruise lines do that.  In the original statement the OP said they were moved from a "nice balcony to a tiny balcony", which sounds like it was a smaller stateroom that they were moved to.  They also said subsequently that it was a less expensive stateroom.  If that is the case then they should have their reservation adjusted accordingly to reflect the lower price.

1 minute ago, nini said:

Yes- moved to lower category, smaller and less money than we paid.

No- no offer of compensation

Yes- It was stated in the e-mail that it is due to CDC regulations

Then you should be owed the adjustment to the lower priced stateroom.  Even under the circumstances you indicate, they should credit the difference in fare - doesn't seem right otherwise.  You are a seasoned cruiser with this cruise line - certainly you should be able to talk with someone about an adjustment.  I, too, would be upset if none was made - especially since the cruise line is the one initiating the change!  Otherwise I certainly would be looking at alternative lines moving forward. Hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nini said:

So far, from what I’ve seen, RCI is giving like for like, or a free upgrade when they are doing this. I would push back on Princess.  I would not pay the same amount for ‘less product’. There are probably plenty of cabins that they could have moved you to that didn’t involve a downgrade for the same price. Good luck! 🙂

23 minutes ago, nini said:

Either call and tell them to reprice your stateroom which they can do or see what the current price of the category you had is?  If it is the same find an open cabin and ask to be moved to that.