Magic vs Vista

LadyL

My family and I are looking at an 8-day Eastern out of Port Canaveral for April 2024, balcony.  Right now there are two ships with this itinerary, Magic and Vista.  We've not been on either, and we've not had a cove balcony.  I'm partial to the regular balconies, but would be willing to try a cove.  Which ship/cabin would be your preference, and why.

TIA.

Having sailed on Magic and Horizon (sister to Vista), my preference would be Vista. Vista takes the best of the Dream class and adds to it. 

Carnival Magic was the last ship designed by Joe Farcus, who is famous for what I can only describe as "90s Vegas" interior design. While Dream and Magic were much more muted than previous ships, it still comes across as a bit dated when compared to even the Breeze, which is in the same class. Vista will appear much more modern. 

One "pro" of the Carnival Magic is that it still features the old style 3-story theater in the front of the ship. Vista swapped this design for the Liquid Lounge, which serves as a flex space for theater shows and dance parties. It is significantly smaller, and the main floor of the theater uses stackable chairs rather than fixed theater seating. The result is a significant reduction in available seating, especially relative to the size of the ship. 

Vista will have the IMAX theater, as well as the JiJi Asian Kitchen and Bonsai Sushi specialty dining restaurants. JiJi Asian Kitchen is not to be missed, and well worth the reasonable $15 upcharge! 

Vista also has two specialty cabin areas not found on Carnival Magic; Family Harbor and Havana. I had a Family Harbor cabin on Carnival Horizon and enjoyed convenient access to the 24 hour restricted access lounge for coffee or juice, although I never took advantage of the breakfast buffet in this area. Havana rooms are a bit of a stretch financially when compared to a similar size room, but if you can afford it, Havana offers a private outdoor space with a pool and hot tubs, as well as a private pool bar and indoor lounge. The Havana area on the Vista class ships is positioned at the aft of the ship and appears to be significantly larger, with a lower passenger to space ratio than the Havana area on the Mardi Gras. If you are going to splurge for a Havana cabin, I'd say do it on a Vista class ship. After seeing the area on my last Horizon sailing, I have a Havana Cabana stateroom booked for my next cruise on Horizon in November. 

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise no matter which ship you choose, but my recommendation between the two would be Carnival Vista. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far I have been on the Vista and absolutely loved it!!! Going on the magic in 12 days from now so soon I can report back !  LOL  the vista was amazing, she has so much to offer, so many decks i never had an issue finding a lounge chair as long as you didn't need to be right at the pool area..  I stayed on deck 14 was very convenient to access the Lido and watch movies right outside our cabin... i just thought the Vista was top notch.. went on the Paradise after the Vista and realized that class is not my favorite anymore !! Gotta do Vista class once at least..  Looking forward to the Magic  she seems like a smaller version !

We were in a cove balcony on Breeze about five years ago and enjoyed the close up view of the ocean.  Saw flying fish and felt the spray at times.  Glad we could experience a cove but I would say my preference is a regular balcony.  Just feels more relaxing to me, looking over the expanse of the ocean from a seated position.  One needs to stand to really see the ocean in a cove.

I preferred magic, except for JiJis on vista.

Vista cut the theater in half and comedy club half the size so you always have to wait in line.

Vista closed up the promenade so you cant see out walking along there and see the ocean like on magic. I like sitting in the promenade on a hot day and listening to the band and see the ocean.

If you dont like shows but more food options and the new private area vista is for you.

We have sailed on both ships and all 3 of the Dream class, Dream, Magic, and Breeze.  Much prefer the Magic even though it really only boils down to a couple of reasons:

Vista does not have the atrium lobby (the Imax theatre is above the lobby).  This makes the lobby area very closed-in.

The differences in the main theater and comedy club already mentioned in another response.

Are we thinking about booking a cruise on Vista's sister ship the Panorama for a Mexico cruise?  Absolutely yes.

We always get a balcony and tried a cove balcony once. It was amazing being so close to the ocean, but we were close to the front of the ship and our balcony was always covered in salt, never were able to sit out there or even touch the railing. Maybe farther back would eliminate the salt issue, but haven't tried it since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astromaid said:

We always get a balcony and tried a cove balcony once. It was amazing being so close to the ocean, but we were close to the front of the ship and our balcony was always covered in salt, never were able to sit out there or even touch the railing. Maybe farther back would eliminate the salt issue, but haven't tried it since.

Idk that I'd book a cove balcony just now. On my cruise they were right next to what looked like a covid wing that was closed off. I'm a rather be father from covid than closer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk that I'd book a cove balcony just now. On my cruise they were right next to what looked like a covid wing that was closed off. I'm a rather be father from covid than closer.

Well, that's good to know.  I however think Vista has won and more than likely will get a regular balcony.  We're looking at deck 7 since someone said the lights from the lanai would probably be bright at night on 6.

1 hour ago, LadyL said:

Well, that's good to know.  I however think Vista has won and more than likely will get a regular balcony.  We're looking at deck 7 since someone said the lights from the lanai would probably be bright at night on 6.

Deck 7 or 8 would be good since they are between floors that are all staterooms.  DH and I were right above the Piano Bar on Magic and we could hear most of the numbers in our room.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Most of the ships are using Deck 1 or Deck 2 forward for COVID quarantine. The exception is the Sunshine class, which appears to be using Deck 5 aft. They supposedly have enhanced ventilation systems in these areas, but I'd avoid the adjoining sections and decks just for my personal peace of mind. 

5 minutes ago, brilliantseas said:

Most of the ships are using Deck 1 or Deck 2 forward for COVID quarantine. The exception is the Sunshine class, which appears to be using Deck 5 aft. They supposedly have enhanced ventilation systems in these areas, but I'd avoid the adjoining sections and decks just for my personal peace of mind. 

Exactly. Arent cove balconies deck 2. I was just on breeze and moved from deck 2 forward to aft and closed off where I used to be .. cove balconies in between. Breeze same as magic. 

Discussion was magic and vista. I've been on both classes since the restart. 

Deck 2 next to cove balconies. Dream class on  breeze. 

20211029_104839.jpg

Guest BasicSailor
On 1/24/2022 at 8:40 AM, LadyL said:

My family and I are looking at an 8-day Eastern out of Port Canaveral for April 2024, balcony.  Right now there are two ships with this itinerary, Magic and Vista.  We've not been on either, and we've not had a cove balcony.  I'm partial to the regular balconies, but would be willing to try a cove.  Which ship/cabin would be your preference, and why.

TIA.

Love me some cove. I'd go with Magic as it's really less people (in normal times) 

Both are great ships with pros and cons.

Vista will have more of the newer attractions. Also the food options such as Jijis are great. I don't hate the vista atrium or liquid lounge (as much as I hate the Limelight) but they aren't the best versions.

Magic doesn't have some of the frills, but some of the venues are better and more spacious.