Build A Bear

sparks1093

So in 24 days or so we're heading out on our cruise with our step granddaughter. I was looking at Fun Shops and they offer a Build a Bear at $28. How does that compare with what you pay onboard? How is the experience (she's never built one before so won't have anything to compare it to). We'll be on Legend if that matters.

14 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

So in 24 days or so we're heading out on our cruise with our step granddaughter. I was looking at Fun Shops and they offer a Build a Bear at $28. How does that compare with what you pay onboard? How is the experience (she's never built one before so won't have anything to compare it to). We'll be on Legend if that matters.

We did it last month with our daughters (who are teenagers, but not so cool that they didn't want a Bear as a souvenir from the ship). I think we paid about that for each one. Maybe a bit less? But we didn't do any of the clothes or accessories. It was an okay experience for the smaller kids there, I think. But, it took a while and some of the kids who had to wait a while for their turn started getting bored and restless. 

If there's nothing else going on at the time of the Build-a-Bear event, it's probably worth it with small kids. But the experience itself isn't anything I'd worry about missing if there's something else happening you're interested in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Same price. You will see it in the day planner for the day and time it will happen. Wife does a bear each cruise. Our last one Carnival limited the amount of people who could build one. Don't have any info on how  to secure  a spot. Suggest when you board go to guest relations and  ask.

Just now, sparks1093 said:

Thank you. It sounds like it's a base price of $28 or so and then accessories are extra, is that accurate?

Right, starting price for just the stuffed animal is about $30 or less (obviously a couple of different prices depending on which one you choose)... with the accessories it can basically go unlimited at that point. 

• Thanks 1

Depending on age I do think she would enjoy it, but IMO selection and experience is better at a brick and mortar...my kid did BuildABear both off ship and on and the off ship experience is longer and more detailed I guess you would say...like off ship they talked to him about the heart he put inside and had him write a special person's name on heart etc etc etc...and on ship it was like "I put a heart inside"....but is there any kid under the age of 9 or so that would not enjoy probably not....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Thank you. It sounds like it's a base price of $28 or so and then accessories are extra, is that accurate?

Yes and all the kids want a cute little outfit or some accessory you can assume.

• Thanks 1

I wish I could remember the exact costs for the accessories but all I remember is what we got and what the sail and sign total came to. We got a cat in the hat as the bear, with a carnival t-shirt and little plastic sunglasses for $40 total, if that helps.

10 hours ago, Nog Vlog said:

I wish I could remember the exact costs for the accessories but all I remember is what we got and what the sail and sign total came to. We got a cat in the hat as the bear, with a carnival t-shirt and little plastic sunglasses for $40 total, if that helps.

That does help, thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is it wrong that as an adult I still want to do this???  I'm a kid at heart for sure! They look so precious, and it would be a neat souvenir. I've never outgrown my love for stuffed animals! I will also have a good amount of OBC to use this next time.  I've never paid that much attention to it in the Fun Times, but can you do this only during specified times or is it open any time the Fun Shops are open?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Is it wrong that as an adult I still want to do this???  I'm a kid at heart for sure! They look so precious, and it would be a neat souvenir. I've never outgrown my love for stuffed animals! I will also have a good amount of OBC to use this next time.  I've never paid that much attention to it in the Fun Times, but can you do this only during specified times or is it open any time the Fun Shops are open?

Yes only certain days at certain times and it will be listed in the Fun Times.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHARTWICK said:

i have a collection of cruise lines bears and bears from places ive been too. I still have my teddy bear my grandmother gave me when i was like a baby

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shof515 said:

i have a collection of cruise lines bears and bears from places ive been too. I still have my teddy bear my grandmother gave me when i was like a baby

I, at 41, still carry my teddy bear my husband won for me on our first "real" date. I was 12 at the time. I also buy a teddy bear with the name of 95% of locations we visit. I had a carry on FULL from our Europe trip (each city!)

Our last cruise I got 2 bears on the ship (none in ports, already have them!) On a note, there is also a bear offered at the Grove for St. Jude that comes with a T-Shirt. Which if you aren't all that picky about dressing them up (they come with a St Jude T-Shirt) I just want to throw that out there as a great option for adults who feel "weird" going to the Build-A-Bear, and it supports St Jude. Our last cruise, one lady bought 12!! bears and was wearing them in their backpacks all at one time during the event! 

• Thanks 1

It is only open at specific times and you need to make a reservation through the Hub App in order to go, I don't think that they allow walk-ins. On our February cruise the only thing that you were allowed to do was to place the heart into the bear, they were already stuffed with fluff. It was explained that this was related to COVID so at some point they may allow stuffing the bears.

• Thanks 1