The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Are you saying one can buy a bottle of spirits (bourbon, vodka, etc) and have it delivered to your room for consumption?

@RocketMan275Hello my friend.  That is exactly what I am saying.  It is ordered and delivered by room service or in your case, the Haven Butler.  It comes with mixers.  The bottles are not cheap.  Before NCL changed the policy where all guests in a Haven Suite got the Premium Beverage Package, my adult children could choose a bottle of Spirits they wanted for the week.  The rule was "No BAR TAB".  We got a bottle of Vodka and the mixers.  At the time it was about $100.00.  

Now with everyone in the Haven Suite getting the Beverage Package, we don't do that anymore.  I hope that clarifies your question.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbxlady said:

They provided cans of soda in the suite for you? My husband and I have premium plus drink packages, and we've purchased soda packages for the kids, so do you know if they need to confirm that first?

This was just for the bon voyage party so the girls could have something for the toast. We might have been charged for it but it was a one time thing. 

Edited by pbenjamin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We print a few 1/4 sheet note paper that we hand/leave for our butler and room steward. We always communicate in writing (short and concise list of requests) so that they don't "forget" something along the way. 

image.png.3f2249f2c68eb4cc3f377c4493639da7.png

Does your Passport have BirdTravels listed as one name, like Madonna, or is it two separate names?   😜👍

We’re sailing in a Sky Suite on the Oasis soon, and (I know you know) that level doesn’t come with butler service, so we packed our own bag of M&Ms to make up for not getting the bowl like do in the Haven. The horror!   😁  The is the one standard request we always make with the butler. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@RocketMan275Hello my friend.  That is exactly what I am saying.  It is ordered and delivered by room service or in your case, the Haven Butler.  It comes with mixers.  The bottles are not cheap.  Before NCL changed the policy where all guests in a Haven Suite got the Premium Beverage Package, my adult children could choose a bottle of Spirits they wanted for the week.  The rule was "No BAR TAB".  We got a bottle of Vodka and the mixers.  At the time it was about $100.00.  

Now with everyone in the Haven Suite getting the Beverage Package, we don't do that anymore.  I hope that clarifies your question.

I've been unable to find on the NCL website where one can have room service bring spirits to your room.  Wines, yes.  Spirit, no.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

I've been unable to find on the NCL website where one can have room service bring spirits to your room.  Wines, yes.  Spirit, no.

Rocket, wait until you get on-board and it is in your Room Service Menu.  You can ask your Pre-Cruise Haven person how much it is and if you can get it arranged pre-cruise. 

Loved all the advice we got here for our last cruise. Just about to make our deposit on the next one but I have a couple of questions. Last time we were in the Haven proper, this time we're looking to book a Haven aft stateroom for an Alaskan cruise next summer.  Here are our questions:

1. We currently have stateroom 9918 on hold but are debating 12906.  I know that deck 9 and deck 12 are said to have the deepest balconies and that is super important to us.  Does anyone know if there's a difference in the actual stateroom size or any other considerations that are important?
  2. I saw on a site that these rooms were handicap accessible rooms but I'm not sure if this is true.  If it is, does that mean the bathroom is any different?
  3. We are traveling with 2 other parties who will be in staterooms near ours but not Haven rooms.  We totally understand they cannot use Haven benefits and we will not be asking for that (nor are they interested).  That being said, there isn't a problem with them hanging out on our balcony at times with us is there?  We specifically are picking a room outside of the Haven to make this easier but I want to make sure it's not something we shouldn't do.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

• Like 1

Don't know about bathrooms/room sizes but you can invite anyone to your room/balcony anytime you want.

Perhaps you might try youtube to see if there are some videos about your specific room or class of room there.

here's a video of room 9918 on encore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNBJM9I44rU

here's 12906 pm encore;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRcZnokquQA

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 11:04 AM, Sthrngary said:

@rbxladyMy goal as the Op-Ed here is to assist in realistic expectations.  It is my experience in the Haven that the only time a Butler would provide Canned Soda was two situations.  First, when you are in an owners suite which provides three bottles of spirits and mixers.  The mixers are soda and they replenish daily.  It is complementary.  The other situation is when you buy a bottle of spirits from room service.  Included are some canned soda's.

The Haven does not claim to provide soda's to the suite unless you pay extra for them.  I also ALWAYS do the Premium "PLUS" Beverage Package.  Even then, it has never happened in my suite without a cost.  Now I am NOT saying some others have had a Butler that accommodated them.  Happens all the time. I am saying it is not NCL Haven policy.  So if you go on board and expect this and it does not happen, you will be disappointed.  That is what I mean by realistic expectations.  If it does happen, great.  If it does not happen you are not surprised.

When I comment on something that another CruiseCritic.com community member says and I softly challenge it, I mean no disrespect.  Instead I just want all of us to have the best time possible.  I hope my comment is take that way.

I guess I was asking out of disbelief more than anything-- but I did forget that the DOS may get something that other suites may not.

Regardless, I definitely appreciate the info! My husband and I will probably grab bottles of sparkling water on the way to bed, since bottles of water (still or sparkling) are supposed to be provided with the premium plus beverage package. He likes to drink La Croix/Bubly/whatever right before bed, and often before we fall sleep he will run down to the kitchen for another. I finally asked him why he didn't just bring two upstairs, at which point he started doing that, and eventually we just put a mini fridge in the master bedroom.

46 minutes ago, rbxlady said:

I guess I was asking out of disbelief more than anything-- but I did forget that the DOS may get something that other suites may not.

Regardless, I definitely appreciate the info! My husband and I will probably grab bottles of sparkling water on the way to bed, since bottles of water (still or sparkling) are supposed to be provided with the premium plus beverage package. He likes to drink La Croix/Bubly/whatever right before bed, and often before we fall sleep he will run down to the kitchen for another. I finally asked him why he didn't just bring two upstairs, at which point he started doing that, and eventually we just put a mini fridge in the master bedroom.

@rbxladyAll me to give you some of the things many folks do when in the Haven and on the Premium PLUS Beverage Package.  First I want to address something.  With as much as ANY Haven Suite investment currently is, they should include Soda, Bottled Waters and Juice in the suite mini-refrig. Other brands do for they suites and I find it a flaw in NCL's Haven Plan.  On to the strategy.

When I first found out about the Premium PLUS Beverage Package I choose it because of the ability to have Full Bottles of Selected Wines at meals.  Then those bottles, if not finished, could be brought back to the suite for a night cap.  Eliminating the walk to the bar and back.  My wife would drink three glasses of wine at dinner and I would drink one.  That allowed ordering an new bottle which we then after it was opened, brought back to the Suite.  Some nights we had two almost filled wine bottles. 

Then I did some what the same thing with bottled water until a Haven Bartender said, "Hey Gary, to you want a bottle of Water for your suite?" I said, NO, can I have two.  Every night from that point forward at the same late hour usually after the show, he would have two bottles waiting for me. My wife was thrilled.

The last thing I really enjoyed about the Premium PLUS program was Tequila, Manhattan's and Champagne. I have written a lot about the Tequila 1942.  I had no idea this was either available or on the program.  The Haven Bartender suggested it in 2019 as a great Tequila and on the program.  I was hooked. The Manhattan's I am speaking of are made at the Haven bar.  They use wood to spoke the drink and it is a true show to watch.  Finally is it the French Champagne.  When I eat in the French Restaurant, I order the REALLY GREAT French champagne by the glass.  After I drink the first two glasses, they just bring the bottle out and put it in the ice by our table.  This is not a bottle you can order, it is only by the glass.  It is over the top good.  That is from a Tequila and Vodka Guy.

Finally, even though in the Haven Restaurant the specialty coffee is complementary, I love to go to the Starbucks on the ship and get my specialty coffee made fresh.  The alternative is the EXCELENT high-end coffee machine serving Starbucks in the Haven Horizon Observation Lounge. 

Oh the memories.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@rbxladyAll me to give you some of the things many folks do when in the Haven and on the Premium PLUS Beverage Pa

When I first found out about the Premium PLUS Beverage Package I choose it because of the ability to have Full Bottles of Selected Wines at meals.  Then those bottles, if not finished, could be brought back to the suite for a night cap.  Eliminating the walk to the bar and back.  My wife would drink three glasses of wine at dinner and I would drink one.  That allowed ordering an new bottle which we then after it was opened, brought back to the Suite.  Some nights we had two almost filled wine bottles. 

How are the wines available on the premium plus package?

Not really into champagne but we do like very nice reds and an occasional chardonay.

Trying to figure out if we should get the premium plus package or live with the premium package plus maybe four bottles I bring aboard.  Now that they no longer charge corkage it's a closer call.

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not really into champagne but we do like very nice reds and an occasional chardonay.

Trying to figure out if we should get the premium plus package or live with the premium package plus maybe four bottles I bring aboard.  Now that they no longer charge corkage it's a closer call.

They don’t charge a corkage fee anymore? 

19 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

We tried basically all the red wines they had by the glass and paid the difference between the price and $15. They have a great red - Oberon. Highly recommend it! Better than some of the other higher priced ones.

Two caveats:

First, they do run out of wines or they may not have all the wines on that list, so it is a gamble to go with the premium plus, as they may not have the best wines in stock, or if they have them, they may run out.

Second caveat, Oberon was $21/glass, so we paid the $6/glass difference. I usually had 1-2 of these upgraded wines with dinner every day, so depending on what you drink and how much you drink and whether some of what you drink is around $20/drink, it can be more cost effective to pay the difference than to pay for the premium plus package.

Now, I did not know they had done away with corkage. That is HUGE!

Edited by vinotinto
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The by the glass wines are very nice.  The more you know about wines and what you like, they better you can enjoy this upgraded drink package.  The bottle selected wines are not always the nicest.  You can do much better by the glass. 

47 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not having a corkage charge is something I did not know about.  So thank you for sharing.  Bringing what you like onboard is a great idea now that it seems they will let you.  Reminds me of decades past when this was an option.

NCL charges corkage Fees.

When we sailed in May on Encore to Alaska, we brought wine onboard.

After security check in, taken over to table to have corkage fee assigned to room account and label sticker attached to bottles.
I jokingly asked if fees are waived for Haven guests…..NO.

Another interesting thing , NCL person registering the wine checked out the wine to see if it was not available onboard. 
Since our wines were “Kirkland “ wines, I knew they would be Ok to bring onboard.  😉

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phissy said:

NCL charges corkage Fees.

When we sailed in May on Encore to Alaska, we brought wine onboard.

After security check in, taken over to table to have corkage fee assigned to room account and label sticker attached to bottles.
I jokingly asked if fees are waived for Haven guests…..NO.

Another interesting thing , NCL person registering the wine checked out the wine to see if it was not available onboard. 
Since our wines were “Kirkland “ wines, I knew they would be Ok to bring onboard.  😉

The policy changed quite recently.  If you have one of the beverage plans there is no corkage fee.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Not having a corkage charge is something I did not know about.  So thank you for sharing.  Bringing what you like onboard is a great idea now that it seems they will let you.  Reminds me of decades past when this was an option.

2 hours ago, vinotinto said:

Now, I did not know they had done away with corkage. That is HUGE!

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

They don’t charge a corkage fee anymore? 

It's been reported on multiple threads.

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/can-i-bring-alcohol-board

They haven't totally done away with but you don't pay corkage if you have a beverage package.  

After looking at the wines on the Premium Plus, I imagine I will bring my own.  That way I won't have to rely upon the ship for availability

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

The by the glass wines are very nice.  The more you know about wines and what you like, they better you can enjoy this upgraded drink package.  The bottle selected wines are not always the nicest.  You can do much better by the glass. 

IIRC, you have a cruise on Breakaway this December.  I would appreciate your comments on the boarding process.  It was truly hosed on our cruise last March.  We were in line for over an hour to get to the check-in desk.  Didn't appear to be the cruise line but port personnel doing superfluous documentation checks.  Everyone in line was required at three different locations to show their vaccination status, their covid test results and their boarding passes.  The lady at the Haven checkin desk seemed irritated at the process.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

IIRC, you have a cruise on Breakaway this December.  I would appreciate your comments on the boarding process.  It was truly hosed on our cruise last March.  We were in line for over an hour to get to the check-in desk.  Didn't appear to be the cruise line but port personnel doing superfluous documentation checks.  Everyone in line was required at three different locations to show their vaccination status, their covid test results and their boarding passes.  The lady at the Haven checkin desk seemed irritated at the process.

Will do.  I have cruised through New Orleans before.  It was not very smooth.  The good news is, anything less than awful will seem like an improvement.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Will do.  I have cruised through New Orleans before.  It was not very smooth.  The good news is, anything less than awful will seem like an improvement.

Would you advise getting their very early, ie, prior to 9, or very late, ie after 1 PM?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Would you advise getting their very early, ie, prior to 9, or very late, ie after 1 PM?

When you cruise opens up for On-Line Registration, which is 21 days prior if I am not mistaken.  Get on right away and choose the earliest boarding time available.  It is usually 09:00 AM.  Show up at the port at 08:15 AM to 08:30 AM.  There will already be a line and get on it.  

When you get in, you will move extremely fast.  Have your information and covid cards (if they still ask for them) ready to go.  Move directly to where they register you.  It will be pretty seamless.

The Taxi that took my to the port had some issues getting there because of the construction that is always by the port.  So take that into consideration.  That is the approach I will be using also.  I hope that helps.

BTW, I get to the port early because as soon as I get onboard, I head to the Vibe Beach Club which I already have a pass for my cruise.  I end up being the first one in the Vibe and nobody at the bar.  Remember, they will charge you tax while in port because that is how it works on Embarkment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, Lunesse said:

Heyo, I'm back with another question. Trying to help my parents with their booking. They want to know if you can hear the sundeck at all when in a room on deck 18 on the Bliss. Or, is there any other reason to take a room on deck 17 in the Haven vs 18, other than balcony size (not an issue for them)? Grateful for any personal experience/advice! 😃

We were on the Bliss to Alaska this past May in Suite 18704. I was concerned about the noise from the sun deck, but we only heard it for a short bit in the evening when I assume they were cleaning. This was not a warm trip, so YMMV on a Mexican Riviera cruise. 

5 hours ago, vetteman06 said:

Thank you for the detailed information.  It was very helpful on our first cruise in the Haven on Encore (Apr 2022).   Looking forward to our 2nd Haven experience in January 2023 and a Miami to Vancouver Haven experience in April 2024.   

You are more than welcome.

Cruise well and enjoy Every moment.

On our cruise to Alaska on the Encore in June, the butler offered to bring us cans of soda to our regular Haven Courtyard suite.  He just asked what we liked when we came back from the bar with a soda for my son, then filled our fridge with Pepsi and Root Beer cans, along with the iced tea and water pitchers that we asked for.  It's interesting that it appears that is uncommon, as I was hoping for that on the next cruise in November.  I guess I'll expect nothing and be surprised if it happens.  

• Thanks 1

Hi @Sthrngary, so sorry to post on your topic but it's the only way I can think to contact you. I am trying to get in contact with you via email about my problem with my obstructed haven balcony. I just wanted to confirm your email since CC deleted it on my thread. It is your CC username (AT) aol (DOT) com correct? I sent an email but not sure if it went through as I got a bounce back email. Thanks again!

• Thanks 1