Venice, Tuscany, Rome: Where To Go? What To Do??

RCCL Fan

***also posted this in the crazy long hotel thread, but figured more eyeballs may see it here**

Right off the bat, I'm going to apologize for my  atypical approach to our upcoming trip to Italy for the first time.

I'm going to sound a little bratty here, but I'm just being honest with you guys about what I'm looking for and hoping you can help.

My wife and I are sailing out of Civitavecchia,and obviously aren't going to travel all that way and not see some of Italy.

Just being honest, we're not big historians and don't have a strong desire to do lengthy sightseeing tours of the Colosseum and the Pantheon.

We're planning on flying into Venice, because everyone wants to ride a gondola... outside of that?  We're not sure how we'll spend the day there. 

Then travel through Tuscany  and find some some wineries and relaxed time in the hills.  Any suggestions?

We will arrive in Rome the day before our cruise. 

Sure a drive/walk around for the obligatory photo in front of the Pantheon, but more than anything we would like a nice comfortable hotel with modern upscale amenities,  great local restaurants nearby, and convenient to get to the ship the next morning.  

We're both a little claustrophobic, so ideally looking for more US size hotel rooms than European, but obviously understand.... when in Rome..... 

On the way back from the cruise we *may* stay in Rome for a day before hopping a flight to Paris.

So it may be better to do the obligatory photo taking/walk around the historical sights then, and just get close to the ship on the day before.

(I hear it's like an hour away from the city)

I'd love to hear your advice. 

I know we likely sound like jerks here but I'm just being realistic about how we prefer to spend our time.

We will enjoy walking around, talking to the locals, stopping in a cafe and enjoying some wine more than a history tour of the sites....  if anything maybe we hire a driver to drive us around... but then again the claustrophobia... and those tiny little cars in Europe.....   So that's probably out. lol

A concierge floor at a upscale Marriott or Hyatt Regency  sounds better than a small hotel with fabric on the walls and antique furniture when in Rome,  but something more authentic would be awesome for our nights in Venice / Tuscany.

Any recommendations?? besides stay home  and go to Wally World?

Here's your key problem with hotels, the city centers are very old, so the hotels are smaller.  If you want bigger and more modern you have to go outside the city center, where the newer buildings are located.  That's your tradeoff, so which is more important to you, the room itself or the location, assuming you can't find both at a price you are willing to pay?

Driver services in Italy use traditional sedans, often Mercedes, so if you hire one for your travels through Tuscany I doubt you'll feel claustrophobic.

Here's an example, in Rome.  Look at the pictures and see if the room looks sufficient:  Accommodations Detail - Rome Luxury Hotel Accommodations, Rooms Suites - The Rome Cavalieri (hilton.com)

This is not in the center, nor is it walkable to the center, but it's a quick taxi ride away.  If you're only staying for a night or two that won't add up to much.

Edited by euro cruiser

We all have a right to our own preferences, no need to apologize. I can't help much with hotels as your approach is very different to my own. 

I would, however, recommend that you spend your time in Rome pre-cruise rather than post-cruise as by the time your cruise ends you'll probably be over the trip, tired, and ready to go home.

I also would NOT recommend staying in Civitavecchia before boarding. Given what you say about hotels, you are not going to find anything like you might want in Civi close to the cruise. Yes, there may be a resort or two much further away -- but in that case you may as well just stay in Rome once you locate a suitable place.

Euro cruiser has pointed out why large rooms are rarely available in the center. If you are inclined to try to find a US chain, I think there are a few that have bought older properties "in the center" and renovated them, but again I'm not the best person to ask. 

One other thing I'll be honest about. The better restaurants and areas for strolling are also going to be located in the center. I know RCCL used to be fond of putting people up in a US chain way outside the center on the west side. My sister and BIL stayed there on their first visit to Rome and said never again. Not much there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:
We're both a little claustrophobic, so ideally looking for more US size hotel rooms than European, but obviously understand.... when in Rome..... 

I hear you.  When in Rome: centrally located, historic property, huge rooms.

https://villaspalletti.it/

It makes the concierge floor at the Marriott look like a Motel 6.

When you take the photo in front of the Pantheon, go in for a quick look.  It is an engineering wonder. 

And stay away from Civitavechia.  

Edited by marazul

Thanks everyone. 

Sounds like we need to stay in Rome and just have a car service bring us to the ship.

I think we will sacrifice a little space, to feel like we're actually in Rome, and not a random suburb.

This place is on our radar, while it has smaller rooms it looks modern and fresh.    Any feedback on the area?

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/italy/the-tribune/romjd   

Cruise mom,  we're actually staying in Europe a full week after the cruise.  3 days pre cruise, a week after.   Just figuring out how to divide up the time and in which cities. Paris, Venice, Tuscany are on the lists for the time. Rome is just kinda a stopover before the cruise,.

As you said marazul, a quick cab ride to the city center to walk around a bit is fine for us.  

Well, it's in the center of Rome if you're doing business with the US embassy.

While technically in the center of Rome, it's a bit of a walk to most of the historic sites you've heard of (about a mile to the Trevi Fountain, a mile and a third to the Pantheon, a mile and three quarters to the Colosseum).  It's an easier walk in, as it will be downhill, but a bit of a schlep back up the hill later.  If you're willing to take taxis back and forth it won't make a difference.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area but I would avoid those along Via Veneto, they tend to be way overpriced and cater to tourists.

Edited by euro cruiser

20 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Well, it's in the center of Rome if you're doing business with the US embassy.

While technically in the center of Rome, it's a bit of a walk to most of the historic sites you've heard of (about a mile to the Trevi Fountain, a mile and a third to the Pantheon, a mile and three quarters to the Colosseum).  It's an easier walk in, as it will be downhill, but a bit of a schlep back up the hill later.  If you're willing to take taxis back and forth it won't make a difference.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area but I would avoid those along Via Veneto, they tend to be way overpriced and cater to tourists.

But the rooms are gorgeous... 

If someone is looking for that, this is it.

Edited by marazul

1 hour ago, RCCL Fan said:

Thanks everyone. 

Sounds like we need to stay in Rome and just have a car service bring us to the ship.

I think we will sacrifice a little space, to feel like we're actually in Rome, and not a random suburb.

This place is on our radar, while it has smaller rooms it looks modern and fresh.    Any feedback on the area?

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/italy/the-tribune/romjd   

Cruise mom,  we're actually staying in Europe a full week after the cruise.  3 days pre cruise, a week after.   Just figuring out how to divide up the time and in which cities. Paris, Venice, Tuscany are on the lists for the time. Rome is just kinda a stopover before the cruise,.

You said you were flying into Venice. Can you stay there for 2-3 nights before going to Rome? No need to spend the time to backtrack after the cruise. 

If you decide on Paris, just go to the airport after the cruise. There are frequent flights all day.

If you want to go around Tuscany, consider renting a car and staying in a couple of different towns. Volterra, San Gimignano, etc? No interest in Florence?

Edited by marazul

I missed the part about "doing business with the US Embassy."  If that is true, the Westin is right across the street.  At least it's a US Brand.   I stayed there when I had access to the employee rate.  As an employee, I automatically got the worst rooms ( typical of Starwood at the time), so I cannot comment on the spaciousness of rooms.  I also stayed up at the Waldorf Astoria on employee certificates I won in a contest.  I will say my room was the lowest category, but it was nice for me.  The Pillow Menu they had was amazing.  The breakfast was so good that I'd do it and then just do my "espresso e un cornetto" for my lunch.  

Sorry I didn't mean to be confusing.  

I'll try to clarify.

We're leaving Texas on a Wednesday

We'll land in Paris Thursday Morning.

Have thurs, friday, saturday free.....

Our Cruise leaves Sunday from Rome/Civitavecchia. 

It returns to Rome/Civitavecchia the following Sunday.

We fly home the Sunday after that. 

So 3 days pre cruise,   1 week post cruise.

Where we go and what we do during that time is totally and completely up in the air.  

Venice, Tuscany(Florence, Pisa, Italian small town countryside), and Paris are our plans but we're open.

As for Rome.....   We know zippo about the city, neighborhoods anything.  Only business to attend to is to make my wife smile.

We just want to enjoy sometime together without the kids, see some sights, but not do a lot of tours and sightseeing.  The Colosseum is a wonder of the world so sure I'll go check it out.  I'm a good catholic boy so I'd walk through the sistine chapel... absolutely.  I just meant that we're not coming to town with a laundry list of sights to see. We want to relax, drink wine, eat good food, and enjoy one another, while dabbling in the sights, not strap on a sneakers from sunrise to sunset and see everything like we did on our 7th grade trip to Washington DC.

As for hotels, all I meant was  I am a JW Marriott guy rather than a Fairfield Inn,  Four Seasons or mom and pop bed and breakfast.   I like new, fresh modern and upscale, but not over the top luxury.   I am a bit claustrophobic so more space is great, but understand if it's not possible.   We're totally fine taking taxis and getting a driver rather than walking.  Don't have to be smack dab in the middle, but don't want to be way out by the airport.

John Candy Walley World - Sorry folks, park's closed moose out front shoulda told ya

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. 🙂 

So there are definitely those here that know so much more about Rome than I do. However, I can give you my perspective as someone who has visited Rome as a port of call on a Med cruise back in 2003 when I had a lot more energy than I do today. Still, I very much like to walk and don't have any major limitations doing so. I can tell you that you can do the Colosseum (timewise will be the most expensive site in the list), then walk the Forum, up Palatine Hill, then walk over to the Pantheon (an incredible building and definitely picture worthy but not a terrible time sink to experience), then head over to Trevi Fountain (take a few pictures and throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain), and finish up at the Spanish Steps. We were able to see all of these and still make it back to the ship in Civitavecchia in plenty of time. We definitely didn't have time to visit the Vatican due to time constraints. However, if you have a full day in Rome, I am sure you could squeeze in a short visit. Though, I am sure 2 full days in Rome would allow you to see the key sites at a bit more of a relaxed pace.

So I am a bit confused about something. Your first post said you are flying into Venice, but then later you said you are flying into Paris. Are your flights roundtrip DFW to/from CDG?   

53 minutes ago, Scottee25 said:

John Candy Walley World - Sorry folks, park's closed moose out front shoulda told ya

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. 🙂 

So there are definitely those here that know so much more about Rome than I do. However, I can give you my perspective as someone who has visited Rome as a port of call on a Med cruise back in 2003 when I had a lot more energy than I do today. Still, I very much like to walk and don't have any major limitations doing so. I can tell you that you can do the Colosseum (timewise will be the most expensive site in the list), then walk the Forum, up Palatine Hill, then walk over to the Pantheon (an incredible building and definitely picture worthy but not a terrible time sink to experience), then head over to Trevi Fountain (take a few pictures and throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain), and finish up at the Spanish Steps. We were able to see all of these and still make it back to the ship in Civitavecchia in plenty of time. We definitely didn't have time to visit the Vatican due to time constraints. However, if you have a full day in Rome, I am sure you could squeeze in a short visit. Though, I am sure 2 full days in Rome would allow you to see the key sites at a bit more of a relaxed pace.

So I am a bit confused about something. Your first post said you are flying into Venice, but then later you said you are flying into Paris. Are your flights roundtrip DFW to/from CDG?   

Yeah I think what you described is a bit much for us.... we don't want to squeeze it all in.   Just hit one or two spots and have a more relaxed day sitting in a sidewalk cafe and people watching....

Yes our flights are kinda up in the air.

Right now we're booked on an air france flight  DFW - CDG with a connection to  CDG - VCE.

But we're pretty sure we're going to drop the CDG to VCE leg and just stay in Paris a few days pre cruise, and do VCE on the back end with the rest of Italy.

3 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I'm a good catholic boy so I'd walk through the sistine chapel... absolutely. 

You might consider St. Peter's basilica instead, unless you have a driving need to see the Sistine Chapel.  I say this because the chapel is part of the Vatican Museums and requires quite an effort to see, you must pay for the museum ticket, fight your way through crowds that are hard to describe for a minimum of thirty minutes before you get to the chapel, then another half hour of crowds to get to the exit.  It's a beautiful sight but it's a commitment.

• Thanks 1

I highly recommend Tiber Limo for transportation around Rome & from your hotel to Citvi port.  They're awesome.  On time, professional and each time we've used them, they're a delight.  Since it doesn't sound like your history people, try just walking around the Trevi fountain area & exploring small streets looking for restaurants.  Anything by the Colosseum is over priced and not very good.  If you're foodies like us, check out Eating Europe website.  They do 4 hour food tours in a fun area of Rome.  We've used them 3 times and love it.  No more than 12 people and you get to experience delicious foods.  

Also check out Rick Steves website for ideas and suggestions of hotels, restaurants and tips on traveling. You'll enjoy it so much more with some research.  Especially tips on what not to do, what to watch for and how to enjoy all your time!  

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, Tbird58 said:

I highly recommend Tiber Limo for transportation around Rome & from your hotel to Citvi port.  They're awesome.  On time, professional and each time we've used them, they're a delight.  Since it doesn't sound like your history people, try just walking around the Trevi fountain area & exploring small streets looking for restaurants.  Anything by the Colosseum is over priced and not very good.  If you're foodies like us, check out Eating Europe website.  They do 4 hour food tours in a fun area of Rome.  We've used them 3 times and love it.  No more than 12 people and you get to experience delicious foods.  

Also check out Rick Steves website for ideas and suggestions of hotels, restaurants and tips on traveling. You'll enjoy it so much more with some research.  Especially tips on what not to do, what to watch for and how to enjoy all your time!  

Super helpful thank you!  Yes we would love a fun food and wine tour in some local restaurants and bars.   I will check them out for sure.   We finally have a plan.

We're going to fly into Rome from Paris late the night before the cruise,  stay at an airport hotel (would love recommendations)  and get on the ship the next morning.

Post Cruise  we'll get off the ship that morning head into the city, stay that night and one more.... before heading north.      

I think the food tour sounds amazing  thanks so much!

We're planning on flying into Venice, because everyone wants to ride a gondola... outside of that?  We're not sure how we'll spend the day there.  We have actually visited 5 times and never once felt the need to ride a gondola, but you can make up your own mind once you see them on the canals, but there is very little of the city we have not walked over the years.

Whatever you decide, do not miss a vaporetto trip along the Grand Canal, surely one of the best "must see's" in Europe. You do not need to get off at any of the stops, just sit back and enjoy the ride from start to finish.

Venice is much more compact than Rome and should be  al better fit for your ideal day of walking around, chatting with locals, (brush up your Italian ahead of time)dining etc.(be sure to check pricing before ordering as tourists can be caught out)  Walking is the best way to see Venice and it isn't difficult to find quieter spots once you leave the most touristy areas, but if time allows you could also consider taking one of the vaporettos out to Murano or Burano to walk around the pretty canals and colourful houses. That would only involve a boat trip and more walking, no monuments or museums.

If you internet search for "walks around Venice" or similar you should find lots in the results. We DIY our walks, following a different one each visit.

Having said that, "getting lost in Venice" happens to pretty much everyone due to the tiny passageways  but it is very easy to get back on track and getting lost is part of the experience.

Venice for Visitors is a section of website Europe for Visitors with much practical info  and should be read alongside the many others out there.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 6:06 AM, edinburgher said:

We're planning on flying into Venice, because everyone wants to ride a gondola... outside of that?  We're not sure how we'll spend the day there.  We have actually visited 5 times and never once felt the need to ride a gondola, but you can make up your own mind once you see them on the canals, but there is very little of the city we have not walked over the years.

Whatever you decide, do not miss a vaporetto trip along the Grand Canal, surely one of the best "must see's" in Europe. You do not need to get off at any of the stops, just sit back and enjoy the ride from start to finish.

Venice is much more compact than Rome and should be  al better fit for your ideal day of walking around, chatting with locals, (brush up your Italian ahead of time)dining etc.(be sure to check pricing before ordering as tourists can be caught out)  Walking is the best way to see Venice and it isn't difficult to find quieter spots once you leave the most touristy areas, but if time allows you could also consider taking one of the vaporettos out to Murano or Burano to walk around the pretty canals and colourful houses. That would only involve a boat trip and more walking, no monuments or museums.

If you internet search for "walks around Venice" or similar you should find lots in the results. We DIY our walks, following a different one each visit.

Having said that, "getting lost in Venice" happens to pretty much everyone due to the tiny passageways  but it is very easy to get back on track and getting lost is part of the experience.

Venice for Visitors is a section of website Europe for Visitors with much practical info  and should be read alongside the many others out there.

Thanks so much  we're excited about Venice.... zooming around the waterways and walking about the passage ways sound perfect for us!