Update to covid test procedures

britincanada

Virgin Voyages are changing the covid testing.

Before the voyage: Sailors are now required to arrive at the terminal with a negative COVID-19 test — either a privately administered RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) or Laboratorial Rapid Antigen test that was taken within 72 hours of boarding. This new policy goes into effect on March 18th, 2022 for Valiant Lady, and April 1st, 2022 for Scarlet Lady. 

At the terminal: If you are unable to test prior to sailing, we do offer limited tests at the terminal for a fee of $60 per Sailor. If you test positive, you will not be able to sail, but Virgin Voyages will provide a full future voyage credit for use toward a booking at a later date. 

Source: https://www.virginvoyages.com/voyage-well

What type of COVID testing do you prohibit?We do not accept antibody tests, as they do not detect current infections, and home test kits that are self-administered (not supervised live by a telehealth professional).

What is the acceptable format for my COVID test result? You're welcome to bring an email, telehealth/clinicians application notification, or printed document showing your proof of negative testing. 
A handwritten doctor's note, an image of a test cartridge, or a physical test cartridge or "lollypop" will not be permitted.

What type of COVID testing do you allow? Virgin Voyages accepts the following tests that have been supervised/administered by a health professional- doctor, nurse, clinician, pharmacy technician, or live telehealth professional within 72 hours of sailing:PCR: A polymerase chain reaction molecular test, commonly called a “PCR test” or “NAAT test” 

Antigen: An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test or a lateral flow test

What information needs to be on my test results to make them valid? Your COVID test results documentation must include the following: 

Sailor's Name (as written on your travel document)
Date the test was taken
Name of the lab that processed the test
The lab’s Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Lab Number or Certification Number
The address of the lab
Type of test
A clearly listed Test Result (negative to sail)

Source: https://help.virginvoyages.com/helpportal/s/helpcategory

8 hours ago, JohnScot said:

Significant cost saving for Virgin. I wonder if they will pass the cost saving to the customer. Those who have already booked have paid for the "free" test and will now have to pay for another test.

I would like to know if Virgin Voyages will refund that Covid-19 test fee we paid last month for a July cruise.  Hmm...  I need to locate my paperwork.  I don't recall how much that fee was.

Updated:  found it in my e-mails.  $30 per person U.S.

Edited by Kesali

On 2/25/2022 at 4:26 PM, Kesali said:

I would like to know if Virgin Voyages will refund that Covid-19 test fee we paid last month for a July cruise.  Hmm...  I need to locate my paperwork.  I don't recall how much that fee was.

Updated:  found it in my e-mails.  $30 per person U.S.

Are you on a UK voyage?  I don't recall seeing that for my Miami ones, but could have also just missed that...

3 hours ago, _tacocat_ said:

Are you on a UK voyage?  I don't recall seeing that for my Miami ones, but could have also just missed that...

It must be a non USA thing. The statement we booked last month does not show any testing fees for our November sailing, just insurance and taxes. I’ve been looking at some other sailings and I haven’t seen that fee on those as well.

As with my experience of all things Virgin thus far, this statement doesn't really make sense. 

They say no longer trust lateral flows done at the port (assuming by some kind of clinician that has been trained in taking them) because they can show false negative, BUT they will trust a " Laboratorial Rapid Antigen Test" which is a flippin' lateral flow test!  They'll also happily charge you $60 if you want it done at port, which they have previously been doing free/included in your cruise cost.

Not testing at port seems ridiculous, you'll now have hundreds of people testing 3 days in advance, getting a negative result and then not being careful at all before embarkation day because it no longer matters.

Along with the app that a 12 year old could have done a better job with, an absolutely clueless customer services team on the end of the phone and an already cancelled port with no explanation 3 weeks out from my cruise I can't say Virgin are a line I would choose again. 

On 2/25/2022 at 2:30 PM, britincanada said:

Virgin Voyages are changing the covid testing.

Before the voyage: Sailors are now required to arrive at the terminal with a negative COVID-19 test — either a privately administered RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) or Laboratorial Rapid Antigen test that was taken within 72 hours of boarding. This new policy goes into effect on March 18th, 2022 for Valiant Lady, and April 1st, 2022 for Scarlet Lady. 

At the terminal: If you are unable to test prior to sailing, we do offer limited tests at the terminal for a fee of $60 per Sailor. If you test positive, you will not be able to sail, but Virgin Voyages will provide a full future voyage credit for use toward a booking at a later date. 

Source: https://www.virginvoyages.com/voyage-well

What type of COVID testing do you prohibit?We do not accept antibody tests, as they do not detect current infections, and home test kits that are self-administered (not supervised live by a telehealth professional).

What is the acceptable format for my COVID test result? You're welcome to bring an email, telehealth/clinicians application notification, or printed document showing your proof of negative testing. 
A handwritten doctor's note, an image of a test cartridge, or a physical test cartridge or "lollypop" will not be permitted.

What type of COVID testing do you allow? Virgin Voyages accepts the following tests that have been supervised/administered by a health professional- doctor, nurse, clinician, pharmacy technician, or live telehealth professional within 72 hours of sailing:PCR: A polymerase chain reaction molecular test, commonly called a “PCR test” or “NAAT test” 

Antigen: An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test or a lateral flow test

What information needs to be on my test results to make them valid? Your COVID test results documentation must include the following: 

Sailor's Name (as written on your travel document)
Date the test was taken
Name of the lab that processed the test
The lab’s Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Lab Number or Certification Number
The address of the lab
Type of test
A clearly listed Test Result (negative to sail)

Source: https://help.virginvoyages.com/helpportal/s/helpcategory

Neither of those links give that information?

17 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

Yeah, I was going to comment on that too.  I've just spoken to my travel agent - they have actually chartered Valiant Lady from the sailing I'm on so should know what they are talking about - and they say that the test requirements are still the same and will be the same when we sail on March 21st - lateral flow at the port just before you board.  

I'd be interested to know where the OP got this information from....

Edited by Pootle

2 hours ago, jon81uk said:

2 hours ago, Pootle said:

Yeah, I was going to comment on that too.  I've just spoken to my travel agent - they have actually chartered Valiant Lady from the sailing I'm on so should know what they are talking about - and they say that the test requirements are still the same and will be the same when we sail on March 21st - lateral flow at the port just before you board.  

I'd be interested to know where the OP got this information from....

The information that I posted was available on the links the day that I made the post and shared the information. There were multiple posts in FB groups about the change in policy.

However, it seems that the day (or two) after having this info on their website Virgin Voyages changed it back to the original information! There are many confused sailors who saw the information when it was there - but now it has gone.

No idea what VV are doing with this - but on Friday morning when I made the post the information was correct and sourced directly from the VV website!

I will edit the post advising folks to check for up to date info...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, britincanada said:

The information that I posted was available on the links the day that I made the post and shared the information. There were multiple posts in FB groups about the change in policy.

However, it seems that the day (or two) after having this info on their website Virgin Voyages changed it back to the original information! There are many confused sailors who saw the information when it was there - but now it has gone.

No idea what VV are doing with this - but on Friday morning when I made the post the information was correct and sourced directly from the VV website!

I will edit the post advising folks to check for up to date info...

I can vouch for @britincanadaand the original post 😉. That info was on Virgin's website and I actually copied and pasted the language to send to my travel party (sailing in May), but now, who knows what the truth is... It will probably change again before I sail. I enjoyed the "reassurance" that testing at the port provided, but either way, I cannot wait to board!

• Like 1

Right, so I have been doing some digging and found this on Facebook - it looks like Virgin have failed miserably with organising port tests so far, so decided to make people get them before they sail, and make us pay for the pleasure.  People have obviously lost their minds about this and Virgin have had a bit of a backtrack.

I know they are a new line, but seriously.  This coupled with the app that is just an embarrassment makes then look like idiots.image.png.ee65dd9c5933e84a69c805780790c4af.png

• Like 1

This seems a sensible solution and I’m sure Virgin will not put out instructions until they are 100% clean.

I hope they follow all other cruise lines and airlines and make the timeline a number of days and not hours.
The original update made by Virgin stated 72 hours, they should change this to 3 days. This would avoid the issue of cruisers taking the test at 13.00 three days before boarding and then not getting on the ship to 14.00, this would be 73 hours. 
Cleaner to state 3 days and then cruisers can get the test in the morning before starting their travels rather than having to wait until the afternoon and maybe not being able to travel that day.

In my case I have a 12 hour car journey so want to leave in the morning 3 days before boarding and have a few overnights to break the journey.

On 2/28/2022 at 8:46 PM, ScotBrit17 said:

This seems a sensible solution and I’m sure Virgin will not put out instructions until they are 100% clean.

I hope they follow all other cruise lines and airlines and make the timeline a number of days and not hours.
The original update made by Virgin stated 72 hours, they should change this to 3 days. This would avoid the issue of cruisers taking the test at 13.00 three days before boarding and then not getting on the ship to 14.00, this would be 73 hours. 
Cleaner to state 3 days and then cruisers can get the test in the morning before starting their travels rather than having to wait until the afternoon and maybe not being able to travel that day.

In my case I have a 12 hour car journey so want to leave in the morning 3 days before boarding and have a few overnights to break the journey.

This also makes sense if you are sailing on a Monday, as I am.  I don't want extra stress of doing the test on a Friday afternoon and getting it in the mail and praying for it to arrive at the lab the next day, otherwise you are screwed.

I called Virgin this morning with a question about my boarding time and the representative I spoke with said "We are going to be transitioning away from testing at the pier..." I told him I had heard that but their website currently says otherwise; he didn't provide any further details such as dates, etc., so who knows what the deal is. He also said that I would be notified of changes via the app, so if that is the case, all bets are off...

On 2/27/2022 at 3:36 PM, _tacocat_ said:

Sorry for such a late reply. 

I'm in Canada and I'm sailing out of Miami.  Booking payment e-mail (1/28/2022) specifically says "Taxes & Fees includes the cost of $30 USD per sailor for pre-boarding COVID test(s) (converted to your local currency)."

Edited by Kesali
update with more info & corrected spelling mistake

As someone who just sailed on Virgin on Feb 27th, I would have HAPPILY paid for my own test given the choice to avoid the absolute cluster that was port testing! Having to stand in Florida heat outside their swanky new terminal (don't quite understand that) for almost an hour and a half to get tested was not the first impression I wanted. My time is worth more to me than the cost of a test so let me pay for my own and get it done ahead of time!

• 1 month later...

Great--total confusion.  We are cruising out of Barcelona after flying in from the US 2 days "early."  So I called VV last week to find out what the status was of testing requirements.  I'm thinking that screaming might be in order as much of what is posted here disagrees with what the rep told us.  The first "conflict" is that he said the testing must be done 48 hour ahead, rather than 72, which would make it virtually impossible for us.  I think I'll recheck as to the rules about a month before we cruise.

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Great--total confusion.  We are cruising out of Barcelona after flying in from the US 2 days "early."  So I called VV last week to find out what the status was of testing requirements.  I'm thinking that screaming might be in order as much of what is posted here disagrees with what the rep told us.  The first "conflict" is that he said the testing must be done 48 hour ahead, rather than 72, which would make it virtually impossible for us.  I think I'll recheck as to the rules about a month before we cruise.

From what I can tell (for now), the 48 hours is for Caribbean sailings. The website says 72 hours for UK/European sailings. You “should” get an email closer to your departure (I got one at 21 days out for my Caribbean sailing stating the 48 hr. timeframe), but I would definitely keep checking the closer you get to departure.

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

VV changed the test info after I posted, I am unable to edit the post. I did state in a later post in the thread that the info had changed.

This is the current info for UK/European sailings from the Voyage Well section:

"2. COVID-19 antigen testing prior to boarding
With the advancement in travel and access to COVID testing facilities, Sailors will now be required to arrive at the terminal with a negative privately administered RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) or Laboratorial Rapid Antigen test that was administered within 72 hours of boarding. This will not only allow you to get tested at your convenience but also greatly reduce the time you have to spend in the terminal before hopping on our beautiful lady ship.
For UK residents only sailing on Valiant Lady we are currently able to offer a FREE at home option with our approved testing partner. Details will be emailed to you in advance of your sailing. For other locations and sailings, we will update as details are available.

We will be accepting the following tests that have been supervised/administered by a health professional – doctor, nurse, clinician, pharmacy technician, or live telehealth professional:
  • PCR: A polymerase chain reaction molecular test, commonly called a “PCR test” or “NAAT test”
  • Antigen: An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test or a lateral flow test
On your embarkation date, Sailors are to bring any of the following accepted formats of testing documentation showing a negative test result: 
  • Printed document
  • An email
  • PDF or Image of a Certified result (not a cartridge or lollypop image)
  • Telehealth/Clinicians Application notification
The following test formats will not be accepted:
  • A handwritten doctor’s notes
  • An image of a test cartridge
  • A physical test cartridge or “lollypop”

UK Residents:
As mentioned above, Sailors who are residents in the UK traveling on Valiant Lady may take advantage of our FREE at-home test from our partners at NHP Group — an exclusive, Virgin Voyages approved partner. Look out for the email in advance of your sailing. You will need to bring this completed test with you.

If for whatever reason you forget, misplace the results, or provide a test that does not meet local regulations, we will be offering a limited number of tests at the terminal for £40 GBP ($54 USD) per test, per Sailor.

Please be mindful that all Sailors should still arrive at the terminal during their scheduled arrival time slot. Should you arrive early, you will need to wait outside the terminal until your slotted time."

It is worth keeping an eye on the info on the VV Voyage Well pages that apply to your sailing, there are different rules for UK/Europe & Caribbean. As VV specifies in hours not days (ie. 72 hrs not 3 days) be sure to account for the time difference when you do your testing.

Hope you have a great cruise!