Threat to cancel cruise for not paying final payment…but invoice shows 0.00 balance

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

This is making me nervous about our May cruise. We have a zero balance, yet the "pay remaining balance" button continues to show on my cruise planner. The last thing I want to do is be on the ohone for an hour + to get this resolved, but I also don't want to be receiving emails threatening to cancel our cruise when the PIF date arrives. 

image.png.8b131fe4159767baa70f724fcc38e082.png 

image.thumb.png.f8b2c896b7896a08aa8106878c8b0f70.png

Same thing happened to me for my Odyssey cruise in February.  I kept getting the Balance Due $0 emails. Two days before the 30 day final payment, I made the call.  Was on the phone for 90 minutes and they never could tell me what was causing it.  Mine was a lift/shift for a JS.  So I wanted to make sure it didn't get cancelled.  They assured me I was paid in full, emailed me a receipt showing the 0 balance and said it would be fixed.  One week before the cruise it still showed like this.  While I could check in, my edocs were not available and I couldn't print luggage tags.  So this time I emailed and asked for them to send my docs.  I never heard back from that email.  I planned to call again 5 days before the cruise.  But by some miracle, I logged in that morning and the message was gone and my edocs were available.  Good luck on getting it updated.  It was frustrating for sure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwp10mm said:

Same thing happened to me for my Odyssey cruise in February.  I kept getting the Balance Due $0 emails. Two days before the 30 day final payment, I made the call.  Was on the phone for 90 minutes and they never could tell me what was causing it.  Mine was a lift/shift for a JS.  So I wanted to make sure it didn't get cancelled.  They assured me I was paid in full, emailed me a receipt showing the 0 balance and said it would be fixed.  One week before the cruise it still showed like this.  While I could check in, my edocs were not available and I couldn't print luggage tags.  So this time I emailed and asked for them to send my docs.  I never heard back from that email.  I planned to call again 5 days before the cruise.  But by some miracle, I logged in that morning and the message was gone and my edocs were available.  Good luck on getting it updated.  It was frustrating for sure.

This is why I am nervous... This cruise has been moved several times since Covid turned up. Most recent move was from Freedom in January to Allure in May. We ended up upgrading the room and had a balance due. Which I paid. And it says it is paid but obviously something is messed up. I will have to deal with it after our March Adventure cruise.

Glad to see others have had issues as well, and that it's not just me.  Paid remaining balance a few weeks ago, and got an updated receipt showing $0 balance.  Then the emails started, threatening cancellation if I didn't pay my $0 balance.   Sail date is April 17, so final payment is due by March 18.

Called this past Saturday and was on the phone for nearly an hour.  The rep could see that the cruise was paid in full, but a pending $82 charge was showing.  Turns out it was an IT glitch.  The rep created a 'high priority' ticket to IT to get it resolved, and that it would be 24-48 hours before it would be fixed.  Called 48 hours later, and of course issue was not resolved.  After another 45 minutes on hold, the rep was finally able to get through to IT.  They 'refreshed' the booking, and the pending $82 was removed.

Now, my receipt shows that I paid more than the cruise fare.  I asked about that, and the rep said it was a payment for a Cruise Planner purchase.  That's never shown on my cruise receipt before, and the rep couldn't explain it either.   

Be sure if you are calling in, that the representatives are making notes on your reservation.  The 2nd rep could see all of the notes from the agent on Saturday, so that helped avoid me explaining the situation from the beginning and ensured the issue was documented.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SRF said:

So why try to collect $2, when doing so costs you $10?

Notice I said 'some'.  Bureaucracy often gets in the way of common sense.

Not in the case of the  Staten Island ferry; it's free because they found they were spending more in collecting the fare then what was received. At least that is what I was told several years ago when we were there.

11 hours ago, squattie said:

Now, my receipt shows that I paid more than the cruise fare.  I asked about that, and the rep said it was a payment for a Cruise Planner purchase.  That's never shown on my cruise receipt before, and the rep couldn't explain it either.   

I had that happen once, I think when I moved my reservation from one ship to another.  It looked REALLY funky, but it all ended up working out (they refunded my Cruise Planner purchases to my credit card).

For the people with a $0 "balance due", I'd be inclined to just process a $1 payment to see if that made the Royal IT gods happy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why did the IRS go after a zero balance payment?

Because the computer said it was due. They may have had been working in floating point and the amount due was $0.001.  So the computer says there is an amount due, but the rounding shows the amount due as $0.00.

As has been stated, many businesses do not attempt to collect amounts under some small level, as the cost of processing the payment is more than the amount due.

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

For the people with a $0 "balance due", I'd be inclined to just process a $1 payment to see if that made the Royal IT gods happy.

Or go through the payment process for the $0 amount and see what happens.

16 minutes ago, SRF said:

As has been stated, many businesses do not attempt to collect amounts under some small level, as the cost of processing the payment is more than the amount due.

That us exactly why I keep hounding the office staff to collect co-fees at the time of service. Once we have to bill for it I almost loosing money.

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

I had that happen once, I think when I moved my reservation from one ship to another.  It looked REALLY funky, but it all ended up working out (they refunded my Cruise Planner purchases to my credit card).

I suddenly had a .70 balance after spending hours getting reinstated after Royal canceled our cruise for nonpayment of our zero balance due. 
Not wanting to go through that again, I paid $1.00 in my Visa to clear the balance. 
Two weeks later I had a $1.00 refund on my Visa. And. As of yesterday still have a zero balance. 
I wonder what tomorrow will bring.