Transfers from Rome to Florence

Capri73

That's roughly a 7 hour round trip for a driver from Rome, so $600 may not be out of line.

If you are capable of managing your luggage, you could consider taking one of the trains which run directly from the FCO airport to Florence for about $25-$40 per person. (Last I saw, there were two trains a day which make the run directly, without a change of trains in Rome; there are many more trips per day involving a change of trains in Rome.) Just a thought…

I don't know specific drivers, so perhaps someone will jump in with information. On this website, the trip prices out at about $475, so that's a little better than $600. 😉  This one quotes about $450. 

For any kind of info on train travel in Europe (and elsewhere), the first go-to website is The Man in Seat 61.  Here's the direct link to his info on Rome to Florence:

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Rome.htm#Rome-Italy

A couple of notes:

The Rome airport station is Fiumicino Aeroporto

The main Florence station is Firenze S. M. Novella

Most train journeys would require a change of trains - almost all at Roma Termini station.  There is at least one direct train from the airport to FSMN, usually in the afternoon.  Better to make the switch at Termini.

The premier trains in Italy are the Frecciarossa, and the Frecciargento.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/frecciarossa.htm

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/frecciargento.htm

Hopefully this will help a bit - and also help for folks who just want a train from the airport into Rome.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Why not just rent a car?

Not worth it for a one way trip. looked into it.After flying from Phoenix  long trip looking for something easy.

28 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I see, yes we hate long car trips after a long flight, too.  Is it too late to try to find a flight to Florence, connecting through Frankfurt possibly?

Yes tried that but with 2 connections and a 10 hour layover.Will keep looking. Thanks everyone.

14 minutes ago, Capri73 said:

Yes tried that but with 2 connections and a 10 hour layover.Will keep looking. Thanks everyone.

You haven't been looking too hard, IMO.  For random dates, I am finding a lot of options.

Yes, flying from PHX you will have to have 2 or more connections.  But if all you are seeing is a 10 hour connection, then you are missing many, many other options.

Of course, dates would always help.  In any case, you need not settle for a 10 hour connection.

I can't recommend them because I haven't used them yet, but my TA highly recommended 'mydaytrip,' which offers a transfer from FCO to Florence for 439 Euros in a Passat or 500 in an E-class.  They also allow stopovers in scenic points along the way for a little more to make a day of it.

Try Rome Cabs.  We have used them many times for trips in and around Rome.  Very reliable.  Not sure of the price.  Seems Italy has become so much more expensive since the restart after Covid. 

Edited by Cancun01

1 hour ago, Cancun01 said:

Try Rome Cabs.  We have used them many times for trips in and around Rome.  Very reliable.  Not sure of the price.  Seems Italy has become so much more expensive since the restart after Covid. 

We’ve also used Rome Cabs—great company, great friendly service.

• Like 1

Take the train.

Hire a limo driver to take you from FCO to the Rome train station if you don't want to deal with the train transfer. The driver will meet you at baggage claim and help with the bags to the car. And then the high speed train to Florence is only 1:30 with departures about every half hour all day. Termini can be a busy and confusing place, I have no idea if there's a service where someone will help you.

Florence SMN station is very central and you'll have had a relaxing journey on the train.

Edited by milepig

Not sure when you are going, but take a look at United and Lufthansa. We are flying from Reno to Florence prior to a cruise and then taking the train from Florence to Rome (we are flying Lufthansa which has about 14-15 hrs total duration Phoenix to Florence at least in May). I agree about taking a car from FCO to the train terminal to avoid changing trains with luggage.

We are open to all options but my #1 is hiring a driver.This what we have done in the past.I was just shocked at how high the fare has gotten.

I just returned from the grocery store and that was crazy so I get it.We will see when we get closer.

Thanks everyone.

17 hours ago, Capri73 said:

We are open to all options but my #1 is hiring a driver.

Seems like you have completely passed over the option of flying directly into Florence (FLR).  And are just focused on flying into Rome.

Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, Iberia, Swiss and TAP are all airlines that fly from the USA and also serve FLR.  Plus, you have alliance options with United, Delta and American connecting into one of these carriers.

No worries about handling luggage and your costs are certainly going to be less than hiring a private car.  But if you are fixed on that option....