Cancel for any Reason Insurance

Firepath

I'm not even sure you can get insurance with a terminal illness.

One reason being pre-existing conditions, the other being the ability to travel on the day you purchase travel insurance

Your best bet would be to contact a broker. Someone who sells travel insurance policies and knows the ins and outs of each policy.

I recommend Steve at https://www.tripinsurancestore.com

He comes highly recommended in the insurance page here on cruisecritic

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Firepath said:

Where is the best place to buy it? I’m not interested in FCC because I have a terminal illness. If I need the coverage, I won’t want FCC.

You should definitely CALL (don't just read the website, especially in your situation)

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) is likely to cost about 50% more.  Are you sure that's what you want or need?  You'd need to be able to buy the basic policy before you could add something like CFAR, at least with most of the good third party insurers.

Some policies will not have any medical underwriting IF you purchase the coverage within 10-20 days of the very FIRST payment (refundable or not).  The deadlines vary by policy and state of residence.

What you probably need (unless you also do need CFAR) is a policy with NO exclusions for pre-existing conditions, and you must be "fit to travel" on the day that you start the policy.  I assume that you'd also need to have reason to think that you could actually take the trip, e.g., that you aren't sure that your condition would progress too far by the travel date, etc.  THIS is why you need to speak with a travel insurance broker like Steve (owner of TIS).

Good luck!

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FlightMedic555 said:

Here in NY I was not successful in finding any CFAR for our Antarctic trip.  I found the trip insurance store to be totally unhelpful as all they did was refer me back to their website (I called) multiple times.  

Hi FlightMedic555,

> all they did was refer me back to their website (I called) multiple times.

May I get your phone number so I can listen to your phone calls with us? I don't know why Kim, Deanna or myself wouldn't have told you upfront that as a NY resident you cannot get the CFAR.

If you don't want to put your phone numb here, email me it along with your name at steve@tripinsurancestore.com

Thanks, Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 12:14 PM, FlightMedic555 said:

Here in NY I was not successful in finding any CFAR for our Antarctic trip.  I found the trip insurance store to be totally unhelpful as all they did was refer me back to their website (I called) multiple times.  

I find this report of treatment from any TIS associate very odd, to say the least.

Every time I have called, the associate has gone as so far as to offer to take the application over the phone, after answering my questions. I more often than not have declined because I was not ready to purchase.

Is it possible that you spoke with another insurance brokerage?

I see where Steve requested additional information from you so he can personally look into the situation. Please provide the info so he can check into it fully and do not hesitate to call and ask to speak with him directly, that is if you are not too pissed off now about it.

Many people here can attest to the fact that TIS associates bend over backwards to answer questions and to assist however they can personally.

I must say, this is the first report of phone communications being less than desirable from TIS, IME.

bon voyage

7 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

It was not the issue of information about CFAR.  It was my asking specific questions about the coverage I was interested in and being told to go to the website and basically find it myself.  

Hi FlightMedic555,

I'm very motivated to track down what you experienced and fix what needs to be done.

May I get your phone number so I can listen to your phone calls with us? If you don't want to put your phone number here, email me it along with your first and last name at steve@tripinsurancestore.com

Thanks, Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

Just now, FlightMedic555 said:

100% it was TIS.  This was months ago when I booked my Antarctic trip.  I have no idea what dates I called but I am happy with the policy I now have.  

Hi FlightMedic555,

I don't doubt you. And, I don't need to know the dates you called since we save all our phone calls. I only need your phone number and last name so I may find all your calls of the over 100,000 calls we have received.

If it's okay with you I will respond here explaining what happened because I want to be as transparent as possible with everyone who reads this forum. I will respect your privacy so nothing I say will reference any of your private information.

Thanks, Steve Dasseos

• Like 2