DIL is Gluten Free and scared to cruise

Dreamer115

How is HAL when it comes to gluten free meals in main dining room and buffet?  I'd really like to have her cruise with us this year but she is nervous about it?  I'm sure some of you out there eat gluten free, can you go the whole week without a problem?

Thanks

We are traveling with another couple ... the husband is GF.  The wife is excessive-compulsive about examining everything so he doesn't accidentally ingest some gluten (makes him sick).  They consulted with HAL before signing up for the cruise and were assured they could accommodate his needs.  I think you would want to let them know in advance.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dreamer115 said:

How is HAL when it comes to gluten free meals in main dining room and buffet?  I'd really like to have her cruise with us this year but she is nervous about it?  I'm sure some of you out there eat gluten free, can you go the whole week without a problem?

Thanks

DH must keep gluten free out of medical necessity (not just a preference).  He was diagnosed very late in life, unfortunately, when damage was noticed.

We notify any cruise line in advance, and then remind the waitstaff first thing upon being seated.

These days, there are so many people who need/request gluten free, that there are very good choices.  And because of recognition that food allergies can be VERY serious, most food establishments have been very good about dealing with this, vs. some years before.

On all cruise lines we've been on, and that includes HAL, they have been very careful about this. I think in many cases these days, once your keycard is scanned at the restaurant (or you are otherwise "identified" by the system, they know immediately of any special needs.  At buffets, we always state it clearly before requesting anything, regardless of whether it "should" have gluten or not.

Has your DIL had any bad experiences at restaurants?  If so, what were the circumstances, and is it likely to be the same on a cruise?

A few years ago, we were planning a trip to Italy, and, well, "pasta"!

We were stunned that just about everywhere, there was GF pasta available, and it was *good*.

Sometimes they asked for an extra few minutes to prepare it.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

DH must keep gluten free out of medical necessity (not just a preference).  He was diagnosed very late in life, unfortunately, when damage was noticed.

We notify any cruise line in advance, and then remind the waitstaff first thing upon being seated.

These days, there are so many people who need/request gluten free, that there are very good choices.  And because of recognition that food allergies can be VERY serious, most food establishments have been very good about dealing with this, vs. some years before.

On all cruise lines we've been on, and that includes HAL, they have been very careful about this. I think in many cases these days, once your keycard is scanned at the restaurant (or you are otherwise "identified" by the system, they know immediately of any special needs.  At buffets, we always state it clearly before requesting anything, regardless of whether it "should" have gluten or not.

Has your DIL had any bad experiences at restaurants?  If so, what were the circumstances, and is it likely to be the same on a cruise?

A few years ago, we were planning a trip to Italy, and, well, "pasta"!

We were stunned that just about everywhere, there was GF pasta available, and it was *good*.

Sometimes they asked for an extra few minutes to prepare it.

GC

Thank you.  Being as I eat what I want (and always too much) I never thought about what it would be like.  Contacting in advance is great to know.  I will be sure to show her this to let her know she can cruise safely and still eat.  

Just now, Dreamer115 said:

Thank you.  Being as I eat what I want (and always too much) I never thought about what it would be like.  Contacting in advance is great to know.  I will be sure to show her this to let her know she can cruise safely and still eat.  

We would always recommend reminding ANY waitstaff who takes an order.

And it never hurts to double check when the plate is presented.  "Better safe than sorry", etc.

Once, they forgot to give DH his separate bread basket, but that was obvious, because there was only one basket rather than two (for him, and for me).  So it does pay to be alert, as with any medical situation, dietary or otherwise.

ENJOY!

GC

• Thanks 1

I am GF and have never had any problems on HAL with my diet. As others have suggested, I inform HAL prior to departure. The HAL waitstaff is wonderful about managing my diet restrictions. When eating in the MDR, she will be given the next night’s menu at the conclusion of her meal for her to indicate her selections, which will be discussed with the waitstaff. 

I was fortunate to be able to take a ship’s tour on the Zuiderdam several years ago. I was shown the separate area of the kitchen where food was prepared for those with food allergies. This removes any chance of cross-contamination. 

Please reassure your DIL that HAL will take wonderful care of her. I speak from personal experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We cruised in Dec. 202 on Rotterdam with my cousins. She is Gluten Free and had notified HAL in advance. On every menu - MDR, Buffet, all four Specialty venues - there were Gluten Free options. In addition my cousin would ask servers if other items could be made GF. Almost always it was possible. She loved the food (as did we and her husband). Go for it.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always notify HAL prior to sailing of my shellfish allergy.  On last cruise, when waiter knew, I was served some potatoes with prawns, which I had said to eliminate when I ordered.  I noticed that my plate was the same as another person’s at our table.  I quietly got waiter’s attention.  Almost immediately we had waiter, his assistant, maitre d’ and a chef at our table.  Problem solved quickly, and then people were checking our table every night.  I was not upset,  it most gratified about how caring everyone was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are many, many options. But you do need to ask for the right menus:).

There are really good vegetarian and even better Indian options available in the MDR, but you have to ask for the menu!

See http://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

for a good collection of the diversity of menus across the fleet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL is excellent with the8r GF dining and most dishes can be made gluten free, even if not indicated on the menu, by preordering the night before. We’ve been able to get GF pasta cooked to order in the buffet, breakfast sandwiches at.the deli on GF bagels, etc. we were even able to get tempura at Tamarind as the chef used cornstarch as a substitute for the coating. 

At the lido buffet, you can always ask one of the chef’s to walk you around and tell you what is safe. And since the crew serves you, there’s much less risk of cross contamination like on normal buffets. They’ll also have a corner were you can get GF bread, cookies, cereal, and the like. 

The only disappoint generally is the desserts for me, but this is generally true on most lines. However, they do have a GF chocolate soufflé that I wish they offered every night. Unfortunately, they don’t make much of an effort to offer a GF dessert choice in the specialty restaurants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jkrislc said:

HAL is excellent with the8r GF dining and most dishes can be made gluten free, even if not indicated on the menu, by preordering the night before. We’ve been able to get GF pasta cooked to order in the buffet, breakfast sandwiches at.the deli on GF bagels, etc. we were even able to get tempura at Tamarind as the chef used cornstarch as a substitute for the coating. 

At the lido buffet, you can always ask one of the chef’s to walk you around and tell you what is safe. And since the crew serves you, there’s much less risk of cross contamination like on normal buffets. They’ll also have a corner were you can get GF bread, cookies, cereal, and the like. 

The only disappoint generally is the desserts for me, but this is generally true on most lines. However, they do have a GF chocolate soufflé that I wish they offered every night. Unfortunately, they don’t make much of an effort to offer a GF dessert choice in the specialty restaurants. 

You can always get a fresh fruit plate for dessert in the MDR.  Often a better choice than even the "regular" desserts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

A GF diet is almost mainstream these days.  I see GF items all the time at the Buffet.

Right.  These days, "Gluten Free" is *very* widespread, and it's often not just for strict medical necessity.  The important point is, it's really easy to find (including in Italy when ordering pasta, something that was quite a nice surprise for us; GF pasta even seemed to be mandated there).

22 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

<snip>

<snip>

GC

So again, does she have some special concern that "scares" her? What happens if she eats out?  Or goes on a non-cruise vacation?  Has she encountered problems?

She might be more re-assured if we can provide feedback about whatever her special worries are, about cruising.  🙂 

BTW, we've gone several weeks without any problems while traveling, cruising, while flying*, including for more than 24 hours on 2 flights, with multiple meals, and at hotels/restaurants.  DH has had nice selections of just about everything.  In many places, with advance notice/request, something that is not usually GF can be specially prepared GF.  (The only thing we strongly recommend is that if you do ask for a special prepartion, please do show up for that meal at that time...)

* On one shorter flight to Europe, Delta apparently forgot to load the GF dinner roll for DH's F meal, and the fuss they made about that...! "We are SO sorry!  Is there ANYTHING we can do?  What else could we get for you!??"  The rest of the meal was excellent.

On the longer flights, the airlines have always had a nice assortment of breads/rolls for each meal, each carefully individually wrapped.

And on ships, there are very good supplies of just about everything, given the much larger number of guests served and just general storage space, etc.

GC

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Right.  These days, "Gluten Free" is *very* widespread, and it's often not just for strict medical necessity.  The important point is, it's really easy to find (including in Italy when ordering pasta, something that was quite a nice surprise for us; GF pasta even seemed to be mandated there).

So again, does she have some special concern that "scares" her? What happens if she eats out?  Or goes on a non-cruise vacation?  Has she encountered problems?

She might be more re-assured if we can provide feedback about whatever her special worries are, about cruising.  🙂 

BTW, we've gone several weeks without any problems while traveling, cruising, while flying*, including for more than 24 hours on 2 flights, with multiple meals, and at hotels/restaurants.  DH has had nice selections of just about everything.  In many places, with advance notice/request, something that is not usually GF can be specially prepared GF.  (The only thing we strongly recommend is that if you do ask for a special prepartion, please do show up for that meal at that time...)

* On one shorter flight to Europe, Delta apparently forgot to load the GF dinner roll for DH's F meal, and the fuss they made about that...! "We are SO sorry!  Is there ANYTHING we can do?  What else could we get for you!??"  The rest of the meal was excellent.

On the longer flights, the airlines have always had a nice assortment of breads/rolls for each meal, each carefully individually wrapped.

And on ships, there are very good supplies of just about everything, given the much larger number of guests served and just general storage space, etc.

GC

Sorry, but I won't speak for DIL except to say she gets very sick if she eats gluten.