Ending cruise in Vancouver, flying out of Seattle using cruise transfer/buses same day help please!

kath00

Hi all,

We are on Nieuw Amsterdam this summer and have 3pm flights out of Seattle.  We are taking a cruise ship transportation from when we dock in Vancouver down to Seattle to the airport. However I cannot for the life of me get someone from HAL to answer the phones to confirm that we will be arriving in Seattle in time to get to our flight at 3:30.  Has anyone done this in past years?  I know it's a couple hours drive across the border but I assume if we depart the boat around 9am as per usual, there is plenty of time to get to our flight. I dunno why but HAL 800# just says call again, we are too busy all the time.  Sigh. 

I did a search for Quick Shuttle bus from Vancouver pier to Seattle airport and they are showing a 9 AM departure and 2:35 PM arrival.  Of course, verify this for yourself.

At any rate, you are correct in getting HAL to verify your arrival time in Seattle airport, as it seems like you will be cutting it close.  I would think that the HAL bus would take less time due to fewer stops, but still you really do need to get HAL to verify as things have changed due to Covid restrictions at the border (I assume) and I have heard that the Seattle airport can be very congested.  SInce the cruise season has not yet started and last year there were no Vancouver cruises (as I recall), I doubt any poster here will be able to get you accurate, up to date information.

Did you book your cruise directly with HAL?  If not, I would ask your TA or HAL PCC to check with HAL for you on this - they have better connections than you or I naturally.

It's 3 hours plus in perfect traffic to drive from Vancouver, BC to Seattle.  Add in a busy border crossing, very heavy summer traffic on I-5 on a Sunday, and the 8th busiest US airport.

This is tough, because everyone wants you to win the race home.  It is possible that if the stars all align that you will make your flight with time to spare.

If you decide to stick with this, be prepared for a long stressful day.  On the positive side, since you live in Southern California, chances are that if you miss your 3 or 3;30 flight, you most likely could get rebooked on another later the day.

I understand why you want to chance making this flight, but just be prepared in case you don't.

Good luck!

I live in Vancouver and do the trip all the time.  It's approximately 3.25 hours from the port to Sea-Tac.  The border wait can be long on a coach.  If you booked your air through HAL you will be okay.  If you didn't it's risky.  The border and Seattle traffic could be your problem.  Good luck!

Thank you so much.  The coach is through HAL, the flights are through Delta independently. Sounds stressful.  I may look at later flights.... although I think it's that or 7pm, which makes for an incredibly long travel day.

6 hours ago, gofish said:

Vancouver has an airport.

Good point!  We fly out of there instead of SEA, due to the shuttle trip time and cost as compared to the higher airfare out of Vancouver.  Normally the difference is not enough to warrant the SEA trip hassle.

Plus, getting to the Vancouver airport is easy if you can use the Skytrain, even with a reasonable amount of luggage.

• 4 weeks later...