Testing Requirement for Boarding Ship in Vancouver

GlennG

This was just posted on the RC Forum by graphicguy:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840546-ovation-of-the-seas-alaska-may-5-2022-may-13-2022/page/2/#comment-62923187

OK...after spending an hour waiting for a post reservation customer service rep, she assured me that the sailing/embarkation day does not count as a day for testing purposes.  She pointed me to this area for Guidance on RCCL's WEB site...

How do I figure out which days I should get my pre-cruise COVID-19 test?

A

Pre-Cruise Test Window for Guests Sailing Round-Trip from U.S. Ports, Puerto Rico, and Canada

Vaccinated guests must take their pre-cruise test no more than 2 days beforeboarding. Unvaccinated kids (11 and under) must take their pre-cruise test no more than 3 days before boarding, and cannot take their pre-cruise test on boarding day. This is because kids are also tested at the terminal before boarding – andaccording to CDC guidance, unvaccinated guests cannot be tested twice in one day as it may affect the accuracy of the test results.

Kids age 5 to 11 who have been vaccinated may present proof of full vaccination and follow the testing protocols and timeframes for vaccinated guests.

When calculating which days you can take your test, be aware that the day you set sail is not counted as one of the days.

How to calculate which days to take your test:

Vaccinated guests: If you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you need to take the test no more than 2 days before, you can take your test on Thursday or Friday. You could also take it on Saturday morning if necessary — of course, we don't recommend waiting until the last minute.

Unvaccinated kids: If you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you need to take the test no more than 3 days before, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday — but not Saturday. Unvaccinated guests cannot take their test on boarding day."

So, that means entering Canada from the U.S. requires a negative COVID test within 72 hours (not sooner).  RC requires a negative COVID test within 48 hours (not including date of embarkation/sailing), not before.

Still a little kludgy.  Should perhaps do a little "earliest date for COVID testing" on the reservation would alleviate a lot of this confusion.  But, hope this helps.

Those of you who have a stopover in Canada but embark in Seattle should probably check on the 72 hour window to see if that fits the Canadian requirement. 

Edited 32 minutes ago by graphicguy

1 hour ago, Munday said:

So, that means entering Canada from the U.S. requires a negative COVID test within 72 hours (not sooner).  RC requires a negative COVID test within 48 hours (not including date of embarkation/sailing), not before.

As of April 1 no test is required to enter Canada.

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

What about Switch Health in Richmond? $39 for a Rapid Antigen Test if you are an Aeroplan member.

Hopefully cruise ships accept the Switch Health Rapid Antigen Test (whether done in their clinics or remotely).  I ordered two of these tests and found out after my order was placed that these tests ARE NOT FDA approved.

Fingers crossed that RCI & Princess accept these.  When ordering them they are a 2 pack kit for $79 plus tax.

Frances (NWT Cruiser)

Edited by NWT Cruiser
  • Like 1

Leaving for Alaska April 27 …….So no inexpensive rapid antigen testing site near the Vancouver cruise port ? Not in pharmacies near by , just the expensive clinic in the Fairmont hotel at $130. plus
I guess I’ll be turning down my up sell offer . 
I can’t believe HAL won’t have testing at the Port . 😩 

21 minutes ago, shirley valentine said:

Leaving for Alaska April 27 …….So no inexpensive rapid antigen testing site near the Vancouver cruise port ? Not in pharmacies near by , just the expensive clinic in the Fairmont hotel at $130. plus

I'll see you on board, as I'm on the same cruise! (Have you joined the Roll Call yet - there's a meet & greet scheduled.) 

Thank you for pointing that out , I do know about the Meet &Greet but just not ready to commit to attending . I’m a bit social phobic these days and can’t believe I’m  actually going to get on a ship again . The Covid pre test is my concern, I’m being pessimistic and need to get more positive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shirley valentine said:

If you are flying into Vancouver, consider the Switch Health facility in Richmond, about a 20 minute drive from the airport. Although that will add a bit to your transportation costs to get to your hotel, an antigen test will only cost you $39 if you join or are already an Aeroplan member. The potential drawback is the hours are 9:00 - 5:00, so a late arrival time might not work.

Another option would be to stay in a hotel in Richmond and get tested the following morning before heading to the port. There's not the same selection of hotels, but it would solve your testing problem.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If you are flying into Vancouver, consider the Switch Health facility in Richmond, about a 20 minute drive from the airport. Although that will add a bit to your transportation costs to get to your hotel, an antigen test will only cost you $39 if you join or are already an Aeroplan member. The potential drawback is the hours are 9:00 - 5:00, so a late arrival time might not work.

Another option would be to stay in a hotel in Richmond and get tested the following morning before heading to the port. There's not the same selection of hotels, but it would solve your testing problem.

First I’d like to Thank You so much for always being a valuable person on this CC site .God Bless you for that .
 As for testing I guess it’s about convenience and how much am I willing to pay $$ for that . Such a first world problem eh ! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, shirley valentine said:

First I’d like to Thank You so much for always being a valuable person on this CC site .God Bless you for that .
 As for testing I guess it’s about convenience and how much am I willing to pay $$ for that . Such a first world problem eh ! 

We are flying to Vancouver from Ontario mid May for our Alaska cruise and thought it would be as simple as it is here to book a test - as little as $17.00 at Costco. Was I in for a surprise when I saw that wasn't the case and most prices are upwards of $100. We did book an appointment at the switch health clinic in Richmond for $39.00 for aeroplan members. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shirley valentine said:

Ouch!  I suspect these sailings for hal from Vancouver are going to be a hard sell.  It’s going to be a pain for people as far as I can see.  

3 hours ago, shirley valentine said:

I’m like that too.  My comfort is worth more to me than money 😛within reason.

• Like 1

We are planning on using  Life Centers located in Alberta for our Alaska Cruise from Vancouver at the end of April. Cost is $20 for first person and $5 for the second using Google Meet. We can use the free antigen tests provided by the BC Government. Booking times are in Mountain time so an hour earlier in BC.

Had some questions and got a quick response which made me feel more confident this is going to work. Everyone has to do what they feel most comfortable with.39748F86-AE3E-4153-90FA-0750A4CD2517.thumb.jpeg.5e46bee576f5ceeef50bcc28be2fea14.jpeg. Can book at least 4 weeks out if not more. Hoping it works well as there are six of us.

Edited by Chilcotin

Presently, it appears that pre-cruise testing is available at an Empower Clinic at the Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver.  No doubt over the next few months other options will be come available.  However, in the meantime, their website seems to differ somewhat from Transport Canada requirements for embarkation or am I missing something?  Empower say Antigen within 48 hrs. prior to boarding and Transport Canada say within one day of scheduled departure.  As the first cruises out of Vancouver are later this month, hope there will be clarification although I would think Transport Canada are the guidelines that need to be followed.

From Empower website

Transport Canada requires all cruise guests to take an antigen test within 48 hours prior to boarding or a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding.

From Transport Canada website

Pre-boarding a cruise ship

• Passengers must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 72-hours before boarding a cruise ship or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure.

On 3/31/2022 at 2:01 PM, Fouremco said:

The antigen test is needed within a day of boarding the cruise.  That means the test must be done on Sunday May 1.  I think the Richmond clinic location is closed both Saturday and Sunday.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Starter said:

The antigen test is needed within a day of boarding the cruise.  That means the test must be done on Sunday May 1.  I think the Richmond clinic location is closed both Saturday and Sunday.  

I'm well aware of both the testing requirements and the Switch Health hours/days of operation. In the case of @shirley valentine, the poster to whom I was responding, her cruise sails on April 27, a Wednesday, not May 1 or May 2.

FYI, when a test is required within one day of boarding, you have the option of taking the test the day before or on the day of embarkation. Your statement that "the test must be done on Sunday May 1" is erroneous.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

This is the Transport Canada site and it was updated yesterday on April 1. As far as I can see it is 2 days prior for the pre testing: Of course the situation is constantly changing so I will keep checking using this link:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

4E7A10A9-66A8-4BE3-8BE1-785238DD6D88.jpeg

AE897B1C-9CA1-4624-ACDA-D17FA3D35AC5.jpeg

Edited by Chilcotin
  • Like 2

Chilcotin - thanks for posting the above.  I had been reading another page:  https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html.  That page was not updated April 1 and still refers to one day:  "or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure".  Hopefully that page will be updated soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, netpj said:

Chilcotin - thanks for posting the above.  I had been reading another page:  https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2022/03/preventing-or-limiting-the-spread-of-covid-19-on-cruise-ships.html.  That page was not updated April 1 and still refers to one day:  "or take an antigen test within one day of the scheduled departure".  Hopefully that page will be updated soon.

The Backgrounder is essentially a press release and has no official weight, whereas the provisions of the Ship Safety Bulletin are enforceable. The Backgrounder was updated on 2022-03-31, just the day before the SSB was issued, which really raises the question, did Transport Canada really change its mind overnight and change from 1 to 2 days? Hopefully they have finally recognized the difficulty for travellers with the 1 day rule and have decided to go with 2 days. 

Hopefully the various TC documents will be synchronized in the next day or two, before the Canadian cruise season kicks off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chilcotin said:

This is the Transport Canada site and it was updated yesterday on April 1. As far as I can see it is 2 days prior for the pre testing: Of course the situation is constantly changing so I will keep checking using this link:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/ship-safety-bulletins/measures-support-safe-cruise-travel-canada-ssb-no-18-2021-modified-april-1-2022

Thanks 

hope this is updated for n Princess website 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The Backgrounder is essentially a press release and has no official weight, whereas the provisions of the Ship Safety Bulletin are enforceable. The Backgrounder was updated on 2022-03-31, just the day before the SSB was issued, which really raises the question, did Transport Canada really change its mind overnight and change from 1 to 2 days? Hopefully they have finally recognized the difficulty for travellers with the 1 day rule and have decided to go with 2 days. 

Hopefully the various TC documents will be synchronized in the next day or two, before the Canadian cruise season kicks off.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean at the end of April and we were emailed this week and told two days.

It of course was with the caveat that it might change

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chilcotin said:

Nice find. 

I guess I have to join the chorus complaining about GOC web pages concerning travel. How many private travelers would even think to look at a page for cruise ship operators, especially since there exist consumer oriented pages that "cover" the material?

• Like 3