Odyssey Compared to Anthem

We just got off Anthem and loved the cruise.  I'm looking at Odyssey as a potential future cruise (also looking at a few options).  

Is Odyssey basically the same with the addition of:

• sky pad
  • some kind of virtual reality game/activity
  • laser tag

Anything else?  And are sky pad and laser tag included?  (I think virtual item is additional)

• Playmakers above the SkyPlex
  • Lime and Coconut & Caribbean Pool Deck
  • The middle pool is not enclosed in glass but does have a roof under the northstar arm
  • The Pool Deck movie screen is at the middle pool instead of the back pool area with kids water area
  • additional hot tubs on deck 15
  • El Loco Fresh on the pool deck
  • No Johnny Rockets Express
  • No Dog House
  • Giovanni's Italian Table rather than Jamies. but no extended outside seating.
Edited by dgramling
  • Like 2

The MDR is fully open and way nicer on Odyssey compared to Anthem.

No aft WJ outdoor seating on Odyssey. 

Odyssey has a suite lounge, Anthem has a Concierge Club.  Subtle difference.  

We Will Rock You on Anthem, The Effector's on Odyssey.

Spectra's Cabaret on Anthem,. The Book on Odyssey.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Thanks....so no indoor pool then?  

12 minutes ago, dgramling said:
  • Playmakers above the SkyPlex
  • Lime and Coconut & Caribbean Pool Deck
  • The middle pool is not enclosed in glass but does have a roof under the northstar arm
  • The Pool Deck movie screen is at the middle pool instead of the back pool area with kids water area
  • additional hot tubs on deck 15
  • El Loco Fresh on the pool deck
  • No Johnny Rockets Express
  • No Dog House
  • Giovanni's Italian Table rather than Jamies. but no extended outside seating.

Thanks....so no indoor pool then (middle pool comment above).

From the plans, it also looks like the current/donut pool is not Odyssey and kids wave pool replaced by kids waterslides?

We enjoy El Loco Fresh so good to hear it's on Odyssey.

Edited by LuCruise

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks....so no indoor pool then?  

Thanks....so no indoor pool then (middle pool comment above).

From the plans, it also looks like the current/donut pool is not Odyssey and kids wave pool replaced by kids waterslides?

We enjoy El Loco Fresh so good to hear it's on Odyssey.

This is the middle pool

unnamed.thumb.jpg.73b01bdd0c1e60f2a5c108f68231213f.jpg

I don't have an pictures of the kids area, but from what I remember it was more splash and less actual bodies of water.

1 hour ago, dgramling said:

This is the middle pool

unnamed.thumb.jpg.73b01bdd0c1e60f2a5c108f68231213f.jpg

I don't have an pictures of the kids area, but from what I remember it was more splash and less actual bodies of water.

Thanks for the photo!  Guess if it's sailing in warm areas, it doesn't need to be indoors.

The kids area on Anthem is nice with a shallow wave pool . Our kids are teens so way past that.

We have been on Anthem twice (got off 1.5 weeks ago), and will be on Odyssey in August and Anthem again in January. To me, Odyssey sounds like Anthem "Plus".  Thanks for all the information here!

13 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the photo!  Guess if it's sailing in warm areas, it doesn't need to be indoors.

The kids area on Anthem is nice with a shallow wave pool . Our kids are teens so way past that.

On our cruise in Feb we joked that the pools went from cold in the indoor solarium, warmer in the middle open but shaded pool, and warmest back pool that is in the direct sun.  My biggest complaint about the middle pool is that they included the Caribbean tree sculptures which block the screen from many of the side seats unless you are in or behind the pool.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, exm said:

We have been on Anthem twice (got off 1.5 weeks ago), and will be on Odyssey in August and Anthem again in January. To me, Odyssey sounds like Anthem "Plus".  Thanks for all the information here!

If think we were on the same cruise (from our roll call).  Loved Anthem!  Hope you had a great cruise too!

Sounds about right for describing Odyssey.  Enjoy.

We are looking for next December, but Odyssey is one at the top of the list.  Just need to make sure it works for our son as it'll be the first time he'll be in university and not sure if the dates align with everyone else.

• Like 1

Well I do not think Odyssey has that nice mosaic bench that slightly swings down in the front of solarium.   so fun to sit and look out especially in early evening when area empties out.

And if on Odyssey there are some rainy days, guess where they will have kids swimming.  yup a few hours in solarium.  I think a dome should have been put over the 2nd pool near northstar.  just saying.

And for me I am not sure I like Playmakers in Seaplex as I am hoping the music does not blast all the time.  On anthem I liked going up and have quiet views of the water.  Then again loving sports I might enjoy it sometimes too.

And lastly, Anthem has the best mascot, a Giraffe.     Also not sure I am interested in all the lime green stuff at the pool but I suppose I will get to see it on the Wonder.  just seems a bit gaudy.

• Like 1

We were on the Odyssey in January & the Anthem in March.  Same type of room, Grand Suite with a large balcony but the Odyssey room was noticeably wider as the coffee table was never in the way.  Also the elevators were no touch buttons both inside & lobby areas.  The Suite Sun Deck was better located on the Odyssey being under the arm of the Northstar & the video screen on the pool deck was facing you on the sun deck instead of being off to the side on the anthem.  

It was my first time on both ships and I would have to say that I prefer the Odyssey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:53 AM, twangster said:

Odyssey has a suite lounge, Anthem has a Concierge Club.  Subtle difference.  

I've seen videos tagged "Suite Lounge" on Anthem.... so if actually Concierge Club, who does that qualify to use it?

What hours is it open?  The Suite Lounge on Harmony was open from 5PM to midnight many nights.

Edited by Gracie115

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I’ve seen videos tagged "Suite Lounge" on Anthem.... so if actually Concierge Club, who does that qualify to use it?

While the sign at the door says CL, it functions like an SL - GS and up and Pins. In the US, Anthem will likely always have so many D+, that they will never be allowed in. 

Edited by Biker19

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

While the sign at the door says CL, it functions like an SL - GS and up and Pins. In the US, Anthem will likely always have so many D+, that they will never be allowed in. 

Very true, but when Anthem sails in the UK we will have to see what happens.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2022 at 9:01 AM, LuCruise said:

Anyone know if Odyssey has laser tag?  Royal's site shows it does but I read an article on the other cruise site that says no laser tag (no ice rink).  Anyone confirm?

Odyssey was suppose to have laser tag, but the ship was launched during COVID so it hasn't been run yet.  I would guess at some point it will.

9 minutes ago, dgramling said:

Odyssey was suppose to have laser tag, but the ship was launched during COVID so it hasn't been run yet.  I would guess at some point it will.

Thank you for confirming.  That's great to hear.  We Odyssey booked for Dec 2023 so hopefully by then it'll be on.  

Thinking about where it would be held and guessing The Sea Plex?