Cabin change immediately after boarding?

Hi folks,

We have a connecting interior room on the Wonder TA departing in a few weeks. Our travel partners had to cancel, so it is just my DW and I. We have no need for a connecting room anymore. In fact, looking at the layouts it appears the connecting rooms lack a sofa and just have a desk chair (to make space for the extra door). A regular interior works best for us at this time.

We booked through an agent. She could not change it as per RCCL we would have to pay extra to get to today's prices (we booked early, so we paid much less than current rates). When we called RCCL, they of course referred is back to the agent. At today's prices, our connecting room is actually a few bucks more expensive than the regular non-connecting.

Has anyone had any luck "downgrading" after boarding? In reality it is more of a parallel move, but RCCL has all these categories. Of course, I assume there will be cabins available,

Thanks

1 hour ago, SoFlaCruzer said:

Hi folks,

We have a connecting interior room on the Wonder TA departing in a few weeks. Our travel partners had to cancel, so it is just my DW and I. We have no need for a connecting room anymore. In fact, looking at the layouts it appears the connecting rooms lack a sofa and just have a desk chair (to make space for the extra door). A regular interior works best for us at this time.

We booked through an agent. She could not change it as per RCCL we would have to pay extra to get to today's prices (we booked early, so we paid much less than current rates). When we called RCCL, they of course referred is back to the agent. At today's prices, our connecting room is actually a few bucks more expensive than the regular non-connecting.

Has anyone had any luck "downgrading" after boarding? In reality it is more of a parallel move, but RCCL has all these categories. Of course, I assume there will be cabins available,

Thanks

If the price to move to a cabin you want is the same or lower than what you currently are paying, call your TA and tell him/her to move you. If the new room is less expensive, you should be able to get some OBC for the price difference. I don't think you'll be able to change once you are on the ship.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, SoFlaCruzer said:

Are you saying that your current stateroom is now at a price higher than when you first booked it, but that price is lower than the category you now want?  If so you have no issue.  As long as it is prior to final payment, your TA can move you to that new category and an updated booking confirmation will be provided by them and RCCL indicating the new (reduced) fare and balance now due with final payment.

The only time there would be a pricing "issue" is if the category you want to move to is at a higher fare than your current stateroom.  At which point you would then pay the difference between the two fares, which would also be reflected with an updated booking confirmation indicating the new higher balance due at final payment.

In other words, higher or lower, you would pay the current fare for the category you want to move to.  Its done all the time.  You would not, however, do this on board. On board changes (upgrades or downgrades) are very rare.  It would be done prior to final payment, as there are penalties involved with changes made to a booking after final payment.  Contact your TA.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I just realized you indicate that you are traveling in a few weeks.  That would mean you are past final payment.  If you make a change to your booking now you will incur penalties for those changes.  I would talk to your TA to see if any revised booking pricing is worth the difference paid in the penalties.  The only time an OBC would be possible for the difference in pricing past final payment is if there was a price decrease within your original category past final payment.  But that typically does not occur with RCCL.  I think you are likely better off keeping your current stateroom.  As mentioned, they also likely will not make a change on board.

Have you considered bidding via RoyalUp (if available to you)? If you don’t mind taking a chance on cabin location (and perhaps the new cabin will also have a connecting door), you might get an inexpensive upgrade to an oceanview or a balcony cabin.  

You can ask about a cabin change at Guest Services with a pleasant attitude; you might be fortunate, but don’t count on it.

There was someone on the Wonder's 2nd cruise I was on that went to GS and they changed their room with same category.  Someone didn't show up and a room was available.  You have to do it the evening after the ship leaves port.  However, with the ship filling up more each cruise that option becomes limited.  Is your joining room a balcony?  If so, what floor? Good luck.

You can change cabins as soon as you're onboard assuming there are others to change to. You're stuck with the bill so you could always put anyone else in the cabin as a name change from the other people and there would be no fee. Otherwise you'll each get double points for solo in each cabin. Also his and hers closets and bathrooms! 

3 hours ago, death_star said:

You can change cabins as soon as you're onboard assuming there are others to change to. You're stuck with the bill so you could always put anyone else in the cabin as a name change from the other people and there would be no fee. Otherwise you'll each get double points for solo in each cabin. Also his and hers closets and bathrooms! 

I don't think the OP wants both staterooms, nor did they pay for both.  The people that were traveling with them in the connecting stateroom had to cancel, so they no longer want a connecting stateroom for themselves.  All they are trying to do is move their connecting stateroom to a non-connecting stateroom. That's it.

Besides for them to do as you suggest would require at least one of the original names on the booking to remain - and the person to be there - for them to add someone else in the second stateroom.  Either way nothing you are suggesting is what they want - or would be able -  to do. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't think the OP wants both staterooms, nor did they pay for both.  The people that were traveling with them in the connecting stateroom had to cancel, so they no longer want a connecting stateroom for themselves.  All they are trying to do is move their connecting stateroom to a non-connecting stateroom. That's it.

Besides for them to do as you suggest would require at least one of the original names on the booking to remain - and the person to be there - for them to add someone else in the second stateroom.  Either way nothing you are suggesting is what they want - or would be able -  to do. 

Ah that makes more sense then. Yes then when onboard you can certainly get it done. We tried moving an interior a couple months ago closer to our upgraded cabin and they told us to wait until we're aboard. Went to GS when we boarded and they took care of it. 

I think the problem is (picking random numbers) the OP bought a connecting stateroom at 500. Today connecting staterooms are going for 1000 and non connecting are 950. But since moving from a connecting stateroom to a non connecting one is a category change they can only do it if they pay the difference to today's rate - or an additional 450. But OP takes umbrage that the "downgrade" would cost them money when it's just royal policy that if you change categories you have to pay current pricing. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I think the problem is (picking random numbers) the OP bought a connecting stateroom at 500. Today connecting staterooms are going for 1000 and non connecting are 950. But since moving from a connecting stateroom to a non connecting one is a category change they can only do it if they pay the difference to today's rate - or an additional 450. But OP takes umbrage that the "downgrade" would cost them money when it's just royal policy that if you change categories you have to pay current pricing. 

That is correct.  The only added wrinkle is that I believe they have already made final payment as they say they are sailing in a few weeks.  That certainly complicated things as they would essentially need to cancel and rebook (at the prevailing rates for their desired category) and incur post final payment cancelation penalties.

43 minutes ago, death_star said:

Ah that makes more sense then. Yes then when onboard you can certainly get it done. We tried moving an interior a couple months ago closer to our upgraded cabin and they told us to wait until we're aboard. Went to GS when we boarded and they took care of it. 

Still not quite the same thing.  They are not trying to move a second stateroom closer to an upgraded stateroom as your example states.  They are only trying to change categories from a connecting stateroom to a non-connecting stateroom - likely post final payment.  Current category pricing and potential penalties would come into play.

And stateroom changes such as that are not necessarily easily done on board.  IMO I think the OP may be best off just keeping their connecting category in view of the potential change complications and $ impact.

19 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is correct.  The only added wrinkle is that I believe they have already made final payment as they say they are sailing in a few weeks.  That certainly complicated things as they would essentially need to cancel and rebook (at the prevailing rates for their desired category) and incur post final payment cancelation penalties.

I've switched cabins to different categories after final payment with royal. They don't always let you (especially if the one you want to move to is less than you paid) and pre covid they had a lot of sales that were new bookings only that complicated stuff. 

I don't think they'd have to cancel and take penalties. They'd just have to pony up the money for whatever the current pricing is for whatever category they want to go to. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

Many sailing close in are closed so no cabins available to move to.  Guest services on board is your best bet.  

Not an issue for the OP sailing, the TA has a lot of regular balcony cabins available for the April 20th sailing on Wonder

Surprised they haven't lower the prices to fill those cabins, but I guess they don't want to give current people that are already booked OBC for lowering the prices.

Edited by Jimbo

On 4/1/2022 at 8:22 PM, SoFlaCruzer said:

Hi folks,

Thanks

I'm assuming the price you paid for the connecting cabin, is probably lower then current price of the cabin you want to move to.

If that is the case Royal will move you to the higher priced cabin right now no questions asked, As long as it is a least $1.00 more and you pay for the higher price cabin they will let you move right now.

There is a nice Board walk balcony available right now, you can view the aqua shows from there. Cabin #10329.

Call and get it done.

Edited by Jimbo

Let us know how you make out.  

Changing cabins within a category is one thing, but requesting an upgrade to a different category is another matter.  Hopefully they'll see the bigger picture and an opportunity to make a guest happy over sticking to company policy.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Our travel partners had to cancel, but we of course are in our original connecting cabin (interior). The second cabin got cancelled and they received future cruise credit. When we saw the layouts much after we had booked AND paid in full, we saw it does not show a sofa or chair (just a desk chair) on the website's virtual tour. We are not thrilled to sail in a room with basically just a bed. We don't mind interior as it was a budget option, but assumed a sitting area was available in every stateroom category. Our bad I suppose, but we had no reviews, feedbacks, nor pictures from the Wonder at the time we booked.

We tried Royal Up, and I bid generously (close to max) and did not get any of the upgrades on 4 different categories we bid on, up to ocean view balcony. However these bids even at close to max were still much lower than outright paying for them at todays prices. We got in at about $2K for a room that is $3K today (numbers rounded). Cheapest room today is hovering the $3K.

So if we are stuck with it so be it. It wont ruin our vacation! But a cabin with no sitting area (based on the RCCL room virtual tours) - ugggghhhhh.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, SoFlaCruzer said:

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Our travel partners had to cancel, but we of course are in our original connecting cabin (interior). The second cabin got cancelled and they received future cruise credit. When we saw the layouts much after we had booked AND paid in full, we saw it does not show a sofa or chair (just a desk chair) on the website's virtual tour. We are not thrilled to sail in a room with basically just a bed. We don't mind interior as it was a budget option, but assumed a sitting area was available in every stateroom category. Our bad I suppose, but we had no reviews, feedbacks, nor pictures from the Wonder at the time we booked.

We tried Royal Up, and I bid generously (close to max) and did not get any of the upgrades on 4 different categories we bid on, up to ocean view balcony. However these bids even at close to max were still much lower than outright paying for them at todays prices. We got in at about $2K for a room that is $3K today (numbers rounded). Cheapest room today is hovering the $3K.

So if we are stuck with it so be it. It wont ruin our vacation! But a cabin with no sitting area (based on the RCCL room virtual tours) - ugggghhhhh.

Thanks

You seem to have already given up on your RoyalUp bids though your cruise is still 2-3 weeks off with cabins available.  While nobody should count on winning vis RoyalUp, neither should they give up so early.  Were your bids already rejected?  If so, I would try to submit new bids asap. If not, be patient.  Many time people are upgraded just a few days before departure; that is when my bids have been accepted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

You seem to have already given up on your RoyalUp bids though your cruise is still 2-3 weeks off with cabins available.  While nobody should count on winning vis RoyalUp, neither should they give up so early.  Were your bids already rejected?  If so, I would try to submit new bids asap. If not, be patient.  Many time people are upgraded just a few days before departure; that is when my bids have been accepted.

Thanks. All Royal ups I bid on were set to "expired" or "upgrade unavailable" and when I tried to get back in it said "not eligible for upgrade". I'll sit tight though and check daily since we do have the 2-3 weeks to go. I'm still looking forward to a great vacation.

49 minutes ago, SoFlaCruzer said:

Thanks. All Royal ups I bid on were set to "expired" or "upgrade unavailable" and when I tried to get back in it said "not eligible for upgrade". I'll sit tight though and check daily since we do have the 2-3 weeks to go. I'm still looking forward to a great vacation.

Oh, I see.  Do the old bids still show?  Is/was there a place to cancel them in hopes of starting over?

Edit:  By the way, have you seen this post on the long, RoyalUp thread?  It might give you hope.

Edited by Starry Eyes

On 4/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, death_star said:

One name from the original booking has to stay on the reservation.

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

One name from the original booking has to stay on the reservation.

Yeah I had thought they had one person from each couple in each cabin and that's why they had connecting rooms still. Now I understand they're just in one with the other cabin canceled. 

All depends on which category of connecting they have too. We have one this month and it's just a 1V so can switch to any other 1V. I know there's some sort of a CI category on some ships.