b2b process at turnaround (Athens)

curmudgeon98

We've never happened to do a back-to-back cruise before, and I'm a bit curious about the process/timing.  I realize it will probably be explained once onboard, and is also subject to variation from covid processes, but in planning the day I'd like to have an idea of how much time we will have available onshore in Athens that day.

We have the same cabin for both legs, so I'm expecting to just need to make sure table and floor surfaces are clear so the crew can do a deep cleaning between legs.  I'm guessing there may be several hours where we are required to be off the ship for public spaces cleaning.  It sounds like they are not currently requiring a covid test between b2b legs, though I'm fine with it if they do (we'll bring some home tests along in any case).

Ideally we'd have breakfast, walk off the ship at about 9am, spend the day in the city, and plan to return about 5pm for a 6pm departure.  Is there anything that would likely get in the way of this?  Would they likely want to push us off earlier, or have us back sooner for some reason?

Unless things have changed drastically, you will receive an envelope with instructions and your new keycard the afternoon/evening before, probably at a B2B meeting.

In the morning you need to sign off your first cruise and sign on for the B2B cruise.

Again, unsure of exact procedure post covid, but in the past, once all guests had signed off you would sign off and back on in the Cabaret Lounge, usually around 9am, taking just a few minutes. (You can't sign on for the second cruise before the first is officially completed.)

OR

If you wanted to go and explore before then, you would leave the ship as usual on previous days scanning your keycard and effectively finishing your first cruise.

When you return to the ship you would scan your new keycard, so don't forget to take it with you!

Regardless of when you leave to explore, make sure you have returned by the time required in your B2B instructions. As you are not changing staterooms, you may not be required to attend another safety demonstration.

Enjoy!

Edited by Baynanno1
additional information
  • Like 2

In October, we weren’t required to get off the ship.  There was a period of time we were requested to stay out of public areas so cleaning could be done.  A special lunch was also available in Aqualina for all b2b guests.  

• Like 1

There will be a communication sent to your room a few days before you arrive.  You may or may not be asked to attend a meeting the day before.  We just completed a B2B2B and one time they had a meeting and one time they did not.  In both turn around days there were people on the B2B that went off early and treated the port like any other.  A few things you need are your new room card and a transit card.  These should come to your room the day before.  With a 5:00 sailing, I would not want to get back any later then 3:00 as some ports have a 90 minute before sailing rule/request.

• Like 2

Having done a recent b2b, I concur with KirkNC. I would definitely get back no later than 3 pm. When we returned on the cross-over day after exploring on our own, although we did not have to go through the testing, etc., we had to walk around the area for new passengers and through the scanner in a different part of the cruise port.

• Like 1

Where we have done B2B in the same cabin, we often mention it to our steward (who should know) and that we are happy if he wants to deep clean/change sheets etc on the day before or after as there lots of other cabins for him/her to do and one day difference is no bother for us.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Kitekat said:

Where we have done B2B in the same cabin, we often mention it to our steward (who should know) and that we are happy if he wants to deep clean/change sheets etc on the day before or after as there lots of other cabins for him/her to do and one day difference is no bother for us.

Same with us . . . and most of our cruising is B2B or more for a total usually between 21 and 28 days, given the distance we are from Europe, the length and cost of flights make a 7 day cruise unattractive.

• Like 1