Masks not required

englishlee

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There seems to have been a clean up of this thread and now it doesn't make sense

So, there are several avenues that lead to messages getting hidden – for the record, I had nothing to do with this.  I have gone back through the entire thread and restored as many messages as I could [within the rules] so hopefully it makes sense now.

I agree completely with Phil's last comment.  While I am willing to risk getting Covid while traveling, recent stories about what happens to you if you do are pretty hair-raising!  So we will do everything we can to avoid that fate.

It's not a question of how bad is the current Covid variation, it's how bad are the various countries' rules about what happens to you if you test positive during or at the end of your cruise.  None of us as individuals, nor any of the cruise lines, can change those rules – so it's best to take every reasonable precaution to avoid the spread onboard.

I was happy that Noble Caledonia took all passengers' temps every day last fall – and that AmaWaterways will be doing so on my cruise next week.  [But I did say reasonable:  I am glad I'm not booked on Viking, with the daily zero-dark-thirty spit test before you can begin your day – or in my case go back to bed for your beauty sleep!]

5 hours ago, Josephgray1 said:

I totally agree with the stress associated with a potential positive test, especially when vaccinated, boosted and showing no signs of illness. And then the possibility of false positives doesn’t help. We’ve been required to do Covid tests 3x for trips to USVI and one prior to boarding Azamara in September. All caused anxiety.

Not as much anxiety as actually getting COVID. We caught it travelling back from holiday a few weeks ago, despite people on the plane & ferry being masked. We both have had all 3 vaccinations but despite this we were pretty ill. There seems to be a myth that you won’t get it if you’re vaccinated & even if you do you won’t have symptoms or be ill - not true!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am just at the end of a second bout of Covid. I am triple jabbed and have had it before  - prior to vaccinations. This time it was like a heavy cold and I had none of the more flu-like symptoms which I experienced the first time. In past days I would have said I've just had a bad cold.  I have a few observations regarding previous comments on this thread.

1) I am pretty certain I caught it while out for drinks and a meal with friends - either that or at a gym class.  No amount of mask wearing would have prevented that (unless the keen mask wearers aim to eat and drink whilst masked)

2) one of the friends I was with came down with a cold at the same time as me but has tested negative throughout. I know of a number of other people recently with all the symptoms but tested negative.  I would be more wary of false negatives than false positives

3) taking temperatures makes some people feel more secure and purports to show a measure of care on the part of a company but is a pretty pointless exercise as a diagnostic tool. At no point in the last week have I had a high temperature despite positive tests for 6 consecutive days.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So, there are several avenues that lead to messages getting hidden – for the record, I had nothing to do with this.  I have gone back through the entire thread and restored as many messages as I could [within the rules] so hopefully it makes sense now.

I agree completely with Phil's last comment.  While I am willing to risk getting Covid while traveling, recent stories about what happens to you if you do are pretty hair-raising!  So we will do everything we can to avoid that fate.

It's not a question of how bad is the current Covid variation, it's how bad are the various countries' rules about what happens to you if you test positive during or at the end of your cruise.  None of us as individuals, nor any of the cruise lines, can change those rules – so it's best to take every reasonable precaution to avoid the spread onboard.

I was happy that Noble Caledonia took all passengers' temps every day last fall – and that AmaWaterways will be doing so on my cruise next week.  [But I did say reasonable:  I am glad I'm not booked on Viking, with the daily zero-dark-thirty spit test before you can begin your day – or in my case go back to bed for your beauty sleep!]

If anyone here has experienced testing positive - either at the pier, on board or at the end of your cruise - would you mind sharing the details of your quarantine?  Was it at a hotel or another facility, and how were you looked after re: meals, retesting and other needs?  Some here have mentioned a 5 day isolation, but others have mentioned 10 days.

Many countries now have no mandatory testing to enter as long as you are fully vaccinated which in most cases now includes a booster.Even Italy which just removed its state of emergency , and was one of the hardest hit at the beginning of the pandemic has dispensed with entry testing. 
I believe if governments have made this decision then cruise lines should follow, which will remove a huge amount of anxiety for people on embarkation day.

• Like 3

I agree, Tuscany4 and realize that many other countries have dropped their negative test requirements to enter.  But the reality is that the U.S. has not and cruise lines continue to test, so my question was basically what is life like when one does test positive when trying to board or to return home.

I obviously would take every precaution to ensure that doesn't happen, but still it could.

2 hours ago, SunnyNy said:

If anyone here has experienced testing positive - either at the pier, on board or at the end of your cruise - would you mind sharing the details of your quarantine?  Was it at a hotel or another facility, and how were you looked after re: meals, retesting and other needs?  Some here have mentioned a 5 day isolation, but others have mentioned 10 days.

In our case, we went for PCR test in the lab on pier just after debarkation (no mandatory testing by the cruise line at debarkation, we were on our own the moment we left the ship) in Miami as we needed one to enter Canada. The results were emailed to us when we were on the way to the airport - mine negative, my spouse's positive. So we had to change our travel plans (at that time, positive PCR meant Canada wouldn't let us in for a minimum of 10 days), we just booked a hotel nearby and stayed there. Luckily no symptoms so no need for medical help. At that time, Florida only required 5 day self-isolation so we just stayed in the room and ordered takeout food. After 5 days, we were back to normal life. On the first day, I bought a few antigen testing kits from the pharmacy and was testing myself every other day - all negative - and went for the lab PCR test the day before our rescheduled flight. So basically we're on our own, no one takes care of us but ourselves.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Andrcan.  I live pretty close to the Canadian border, so I'm aware that they've had some stringent (and fluid) regulations, as has the U.S.

In my case, Azamara would be handling arrangements and covering the cost of quarantine in the event of a positive test which is comforting, but I'm just wondering how that has played out for others.   It seems that one can return to the U.S. with either an eventual negative test, or the positive test along with a letter from a doctor or health official declaring them cleared for travel.  

As others have said above, if  the US would discontinue the negative test requirement as other countries have, that would go a long way to relieving the stress of traveling.  

• Like 1

SunnyNy, Azamara seems to be very caring, yes. We still gonna buy COVID insurance though as we're gonna spend a few extra days on our own before and after the cruise. This is what we did before going for our previous cruise as well and it worked.

Looking forward to US removing entry test requirement as Canada just did. Will make cross-border travel way easier.

• Like 1

My husband just got the B2varrient on a business trip that some were not wearing masks. He wore his N95 but still caught as your mask protects others their mask protects you.

He is triple vaccinated and a cold never bothers  him much.

It is now 7 days he still needs an inhaler.

We swim ever morning at 6:30 and walk 5 km as well as weights so he is very fit but it has taken him down and I am exhausted from keeping him in quarantine and bring food and drink up and down like he is in jail.

Disinfecting is a production as I don’t want it I am an asthmatic and don’t want to find out it’s affect on me.

After 35 cruises we are taking a break for a few years.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Trend said:

My husband just got the B2varrient on a business trip that some were not wearing masks. He wore his N95 but still caught as your mask protects others their mask protects you.

He is triple vaccinated and a cold never bothers  him much.

It is now 7 days he still needs an inhaler.

We swim ever morning at 6:30 and walk 5 km as well as weights so he is very fit but it has taken him down and I am exhausted from keeping him in quarantine and bring food and drink up and down like he is in jail.

Disinfecting is a production as I don’t want it I am an asthmatic and don’t want to find out it’s affect on me.

After 35 cruises we are taking a break for a few years.

Trend, thank you for sharing this.  I wish your husband a quick end to this for both your sakes.

• Like 2

I see a lot more mask wearing in the last hour on Quest. We used to be very much the minority (our choice). However we’ve just been told by the captain we’ve a case onboard. I really applaud the openness sharing this information as soon as it was known so people can make choices. 

• Like 10

For those with upcoming cruises on the Quest, do we have any update regarding the reported Covid case and current situation on board. This may also colour decisions about mask wearing going forward, irrespective of regulations.

1 hour ago, alfredo1 said:

For those with upcoming cruises on the Quest, do we have any update regarding the reported Covid case and current situation on board. This may also colour decisions about mask wearing going forward, irrespective of regulations.

No more news. But a lot more mask wearing all round 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Certainly on our Quest tour yesterday although we weren’t required to everyone on the bus wore masks all the journey 

Thanks UKtog for reporting on this important issue. Last year when we cruised, the shore excursions were a place to get infected. We learned it because there were tracking mechanisms on place and at that time contact persons were also affected (quarantined or disembarked) even if they were negative.

Are there contact tracing mechanisms onboard? 

What is the occupancy on the shore excursions? Are the buses full?

Ivi

3 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks UKtog for reporting on this important issue. Last year when we cruised, the shore excursions were a place to get infected. We learned it because there were tracking mechanisms on place and at that time contact persons were also affected (quarantined or disembarked) even if they were negative.

Are there contact tracing mechanisms onboard? 

What is the occupancy on the shore excursions? Are the buses full?

Ivi

Hopefully, the goal is to fill the buses otherwise excursion prices will be increased to reflect the difference in transportation costs. Half full buses is not a sustainable business model.

No contact tracing devices. Certainly our small bus yesterday in Valencia was full No distancing but all chose to wear masks.  Most larger buses are going out about 60% full. Unlike on Viking it’s a free for all where you sit.  Unfortunately guests may not do as was mandated on Viking that the seat in front opposite and behind was kept free. I felt safer on Viking excursions to be honest. 

Captains announcement didn’t give any numbers update but suggested we could consider wearing masks to keep safe.  After three days the hot tubs have re opened but are not attracting users yet 

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Hopefully, the goal is to fill the buses otherwise excursion prices will be increased to reflect the difference in transportation costs. Half full buses is not a sustainable business model.

The prices for Azamara excursions are high enough, at least comparing to local providers or to excursions from cruise lines like Mein Schiff and MSC. 
One would expect better quality of service for the shore excursions which in times of Covid includes lower occupancy on busses to allow for more distance.  Not fully packed smaller busses…

Ivi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

The prices for Azamara excursions are high enough, at least comparing to local providers or to excursions from cruise lines like Mein Schiff and MSC. 
One would expect better quality of service for the shore excursions which in times of Covid includes lower occupancy on busses to allow for more distance.  Not fully packed smaller busses…

Ivi

Unfortunately, they will need to increase prices to maintain the same margin if they have a goal of half empty buses…no way around the economics. Might be the same reason they are hesitant to do the offsite AzAmazing Evenings.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 2:52 PM, uktog said:

I see a lot more mask wearing in the last hour on Quest. We used to be very much the minority (our choice). However we’ve just been told by the captain we’ve a case onboard. I really applaud the openness sharing this information as soon as it was known so people can make choices. 

This is what I love about Azamara. Being told about cases.  I was not wearing one on a large ship. Stayed out of pools etc. but eat and drink. Now I am sick. 
no one I knew but a band member was sick.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Roel94 said:

This is what I love about Azamara. Being told about cases.  I was not wearing one on a large ship. Stayed out of pools etc. but eat and drink. Now I am sick. 
no one I knew but a band member was sick.

Are you on Azamara now? Sorry to hear you are sick. Recover well.

Ivi

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 12:01 PM, travelberlin said:

Are you on Azamara now? Sorry to hear you are sick. Recover well.

Ivi

No!

left Quest when it sailed to Europe.

switch to celebrity. Was fine until I was not.

everyone should still wear masks

• Like 2

As an aside/update

When we were on Quest last week, we generally kept our masks on and used FFP2 masks on buses and on the flights.  We did note some coughing onboard towards the end of the cruise but previously had decided to ease off mask wearing a little until the point the Captain said we had a case onboard.  (we think it may actually have been cases given what an employee let slip).  At that stage we tried to be more careful with our mask wearing, but you have to have it off to eat and drink!

Anyway on the final morning I started to feel a bit off on the way to the airport.  Over the next 2 days I developed the worst cold and cough I have had for years.  (Until the cough came I thought it was early hay fever) I got myself tested both on Sunday and yesterday because I was convinced I had copped Covid.  All tests are back negative which really surprised us.  The tester said it may actually be the kind of cold/cough you get if you have been exposed to Covid but are fully vaccinated - being symptomatic but not showing traces of covid.  Boy do I feel rough but relieved it is not what I thought (and three years ago I would have said dratted ship/aircraft I have got that usual cold/cough)

• Like 1