Sapphire Summer From LA - Cancelled

ceilidh1

Our Jully 2nd one was nearly sold out. Most are saying it is a staffing issue. Currently staff on ships are sailing understaffed and with Covid causing more issues. Also visa issues getting new staffing onboarded. Similiar to flight cancelations due to staffing too.

I was told by a crew member that part of the staffing problems is due to the unrest in Europe.  Difficult to get crew from those areas.  I am also disappointed in the Sapphire not cruising out of San Pedro this summer.  I was going to start looking for a few short voyages locally.  BUMMER.

• Thanks 1

Our July 7 cruise was cancelled. I don't know what the problem is, but I'm very disappointed. I now have a lot of FCC to spend again by the end of the year.  I did notice that Princess waited until just after final payment, and then they cancelled the cruise.  Fortunately, I booked my flights through EZ Air. I only have to cancel our hotel in LA. 

Cynthia

On 4/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, juksing said:

I have to figure out what to do with my flights.  I am thinking going to LA anyway and make it a Disney/universal trip.   But hotels are $$$.

If you can't get a refund, maybe LA locals can suggest activities for whichever days you will be here. Over on the Cunard board, someone posted regarding what to do with their day in port.  Just so happens will be over LA Fleet Week. They wouldn't have known otherwise.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:01 PM, fpsphil said:

I wonder if it was more low bookings for these cruises? Didn't make sense to bring another ship online

We were going to book that very day. I'd looked at cabin availability and we could have had our pick of most any cabin in the class we prefer. Not saying that was the reason, but you're correct, bookings were very low. 

On 4/13/2022 at 10:01 PM, fpsphil said:

I wonder if it was more low bookings for these cruises? Didn't make sense to bring another ship online

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

We were going to book that very day. I'd looked at cabin availability and we could have had our pick of most any cabin in the class we prefer. Not saying that was the reason, but you're correct, bookings were very low. 

When we checked found fares higher than we wanted to pay which could be one factor for so many cabins being available. Other ships experience supply & staffing shortages but with low bookings there’s no need to add another ship sailing at a loss.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:47 PM, juksing said:

I have to figure out what to do with my flights.  I am thinking going to LA anyway and make it a Disney/universal trip.   But hotels are $$$.

You can look at the Carnival Radiance or Navigator of the Seas, both which do year-round 3-4 days cruises to Catalina and Ensenada. Going to Disney or Universal this summer will be insane, with a surge of travel and corresponding high prices for parks and nearby hotels, and the ones in CA are full of locals who buy cheap yearly passes. Other options would be renting a car and driving the coast, or spending time in Long Beach and Catalina. Fortunately I hadn't bought air for my August Sapphire sailing, and only put down the $1 deposit, but I'm a bit miffed that they didn't refund the trip insurance. 

On 4/13/2022 at 1:14 PM, moodyb1 said:

I was recently on the Majestic Princess and there definitely was a lack of crew in the buffet. Also, the cabin stewards were responsible for cleaning 40 cabins.

Arlene

40?

10 hours ago, rj59 said:

You can look at the Carnival Radiance or Navigator of the Seas, both which do year-round 3-4 days cruises to Catalina and Ensenada. Going to Disney or Universal this summer will be insane, with a surge of travel and corresponding high prices for parks and nearby hotels, and the ones in CA are full of locals who buy cheap yearly passes. Other options would be renting a car and driving the coast, or spending time in Long Beach and Catalina. Fortunately I hadn't bought air for my August Sapphire sailing, and only put down the $1 deposit, but I'm a bit miffed that they didn't refund the trip insurance. 

Hi

I have booked Navigator for the 4 day; I plan to do Universal with Express pass and than spend a coUple of days driving around.

thanks folks for the ideas!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, juksing said:

Hi

I have booked Navigator for the 4 day; I plan to do Universal with Express pass and than spend a coUple of days driving around.

thanks folks for the ideas!

You could drive to Las Vegas and/or the Grand Canyon over a few days. Las Vegas from LA is an easy 4 hour drive. Weekday hotel rates are very low. If you have the time, go to the Grand Canyon from Vegas then back to LA from there. The weather will be hot.