Holland America Zaandam - no balcony??

traveltripper

Really? Which deck are you on - promenade? I'm confused, I've seen it mentioned several times that lanai cabins are not an option on the Zaandam. If you do indeed have a lanai cabin on that ship, could you please confirm? I would very much appreciate it.

Edited by traveltripper

Hi traveltripper, look at 6102 port front under bridge, and wrap around deck outside of 2 large windows. We had this on south america to Antarctica, great cabin as larger for an outside. The Zaandam is a good choice for your cruise. Enjoy.

59 minutes ago, traveltripper said:

Really? Which deck are you on - promenade? I'm confused, I've seen it mentioned several times that lanai cabins are not an option on the Zaandam. If you do indeed have a lanai cabin on that ship, could you please confirm? I would very much appreciate it.

3 hours ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

I’m on this ship in July and I have a lanai cabin.  The lower promenade deck has always been a favorite of ours.

According to the HAL website, Zaandam does not have any Lanai cabins. The only deck they have been installed on is the Lower Promenade Deck. Notice that the layout for Volendam shows category CA (lanai) where Zaandam does not.

lp.thumb.png.11cc0533da591380ca8b501861dc8b42.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, traveltripper said:

Hey thanks everyone - side note, frustrating finding a hotel in Montreal that isn't 8,000 per night. Is that for real?? I don't recall having such a hard time finding a place to stay, or flights. 

I’m staying at the LeCentre Sheraton. I think it’s around $250. I believe my TA booked it through HAL this time, along with my flights. I’m flying a non-stop Air Canada (United codeshare) from Nashville. 

1 minute ago, Navybikermom said:

I’m staying at the LeCentre Sheraton. I think it’s around $250. I believe my TA booked it through HAL this time, along with my flights. I’m flying a non-stop Air Canada (United codeshare) from Nashville. 

Yeah, I'm looking around still. I am using Chase Reward points. I have found some decent flights but we are coming from Denver - limited nonstop, most of them have us arriving at midnight or traveling via redeye. I'm yet to find a decent TA in the years past. I've pretty much given up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Also, your hotel and nearly every other one in the vicinity is completely sold out for my dates. June 16-18.

2 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Bad timing. It's Montreal Grand Prix weekend.

I wondered what would be causing everything to be sold out.  I checked the hotel we used Le Square Phillips, and it's sold out too.  They may have to stay further out.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:54 PM, AryMay said:

Here is the notice we received just prior to our cruise on the Zaandam:

This is to advise guests who've booked Ocean-view staterooms on board Zaandam
that during the April 2018 dry dock, the bathrooms in the below staterooms will
be updated to a shower-only configuration:
Lower Promenade Deck: D3331 - D3370
Main Deck: C2564 - C2647

Thanks.  I’m looking specifically at Zaandam and Volendam for my next cruise, and I DO want a bathtub.  Now I know to choose my cabin carefully.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, traveltripper said:

Hey thanks everyone - side note, frustrating finding a hotel in Montreal that isn't 8,000 per night. Is that for real?? I don't recall having such a hard time finding a place to stay, or flights. 

May be expensive, but I recommend the Queen Elizabeth.  It's well located and is connected to the subway system that makes it very nice to use when the weather outside is not pleasant for walking from here to there.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

May be expensive, but I recommend the Queen Elizabeth.  It's well located and is connected to the subway system that makes it very nice to use when the weather outside is not pleasant for walking from here to there.  

Sold out.  See above. 

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I wondered what would be causing everything to be sold out.  I checked the hotel we used Le Square Phillips, and it's sold out too.  They may have to stay further out.

I can't find anything! Except the DoubleTree in the Quartier des Spectacles. Where's that?

3 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Bad timing. It's Montreal Grand Prix weekend.

*sigh* We might have to go elsewhere. The only other option during our timeframe is to cruise from Boston, then head straight home from Montreal. I was hoping to sightsee, but if we go that route we will fly home the day the cruise ends. Our 19th anniversary is 6/21. 

We did a 34 day cruise on the Amsterdam in the fall of 2019. We normally get balcony cabins, but decided not to on the Amsterdam, because of the way the Lanai cabins open onto the Promenade deck. We ended up in a DD ocean-view cabin at the back of deck 2. 

It was GREAT. I loved it. The amount of public space on that ship was amazing. I loved that we could exit our cabin and be outside in 15 seconds and go all the way to the seaview pool. The publicly open areas at the front of the ship were great as well (bow and under the bridge). I was very disappointed when HAL sold the Amsterdam.

We’re on the Koningsdam right now and it just feels like a typical cruise ship. The Amsterdam felt special to me. I’ll be looking for itineraries on the Zaamdam & Volendam after our next cruise (on the Zuiderdam) - since they appear to have similar deck plans. 

• Like 2

i have cruised very little.   My last trip was on the Statendam in 2013 in Alaska.  i by luck had a Vista Siute for the week.  I really liked having the promenade and open spaces.

I am going on the Koningsdam back to Alaska.  The exclusiveness of suites on Celebrity and the Haven on NCL actually means less public space for the ordinary passenger.  The infinite verandas are a non starter for the Edge class ships.  The suites with real verandas/balconies are just too expensive on the Edge. For what Celebrity and NCL want for those areas,  I would go to seaborne in a heartbeat. 

Edited by ScoutDiver
  • Thanks 1

Hey all - we decided to table this trip until the fall. It's just too difficult with very little choices given the event happening during our dates. I'm not wanting to fight crowds. We are now looking at the other side of Canada - Seattle/Vancouver/Alaska for a trip. 

Long story short - precovid we stayed in Montreal at a University residence that was turned into a hotel during the summer months. Sounds basic, but while it was not the Queen Elizabeth or the W, it was in a very good location. The name will come to me.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cruise mapper is showing Lanai cabins on deck 3.

The HAL website doesn't show Lanai cabins on Lower Promenade, however. 
It does for the Volendam, and otherwise they are sister ships, but according to HAL the changes made to the Volendam were not made to the Zaandam. 

Just now, RuthC said:

The HAL website doesn't show Lanai cabins on Lower Promenade, however. 
It does for the Volendam, and otherwise they are sister ships, but according to HAL the changes made to the Volendam were not made to the Zaandam. 

Thank you. We are looking at this Boston to Montreal itinerary for August 2023. We will probably go for the Vista Suite