Rollator use on Viking ocean cruise

MalibooNewYork

I sail on the Italy, the Adriatic, and Greece cruise on the Viking Sky in June. Although my walking is slow aided by a cane, it's generally pretty good. But standing for long periods of time is tiring. I am considering taking a smallish folding rollator not for walking but to sit on when I tire. It would only be used on the shore excursions and my daughter would be the operator. Has anyone had experiences that they could share? Will the rollator be allowed on the tour busses? Your help and advice is much appreciated.

If it isn't motorized, it should be okay.

Rollators have been discussed in this forum and if the Cruise Critic search function is cooperative, you should be able to find those comments addition to what tidbits this thread will draw.  Else try a Google search  (using "rollator" and the url for the Viking Cruises forum is I think what you are supposed to put in the search line).  If memory serves, the comments were favorable and helpful. 

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:27 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

We have a number of people using rollators on the Viking Jupiter right now.

There are even a few motorized scooters.

Viking can usually make anything work.

Interesting. In the past, I was told motorized scooters weren’t allowed.  

I'm not sure what a rollator is, I think it must be a US term? If its a walking frame thing on wheels with a seat it is unlikely to be a problem. I've got a self propelled folding wheelchair with husband supplied back up propulsion and have had no problems. Viking ask to be informed in advance, and the boarding ramps are actually stairs. 

52 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

I'm not sure what a rollator is, I think it must be a US term? If its a walking frame thing on wheels with a seat it is unlikely to be a problem. I've got a self propelled folding wheelchair with husband supplied back up propulsion and have had no problems. Viking ask to be informed in advance, and the boarding ramps are actually stairs. 

image.jpeg.2529b461ae22a60bc7935becdd372534.jpeg

4 hours ago, travelbug11 said:

No pre-approval required.

Not so sure of that.

From FAQ’s:

Motorized scooters are not typically suitable for international cruises and cannot be accommodated. While our ocean vessels have elevators, there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult.Contact a Viking Expert at 1-855-884-5464 (1-855-8-VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our Accessibility Form and policy statement.

On our Viking Ocean (Midnight Sun), the man in the cabin next to ours had a motorized scooter which he left parked in the corridor.  I tripped over it more than once.  I certainly understand the need and sympathize with the user, but it really should be kept in the cabin.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

On our Viking Ocean (Midnight Sun), the man in the cabin next to ours had a motorized scooter which he left parked in the corridor.  I tripped over it more than once.  I certainly understand the need and sympathize with the user, but it really should be kept in the cabin.

That was most definitely a safety hazard and the ship's crew should have ensured it was not stowed in the alleyway.

12 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

The people in the room next to us tried to park a scooter in the corridor. We happened to see them park it. KBs dad asked them to park it in their room. He was told they had to park it there and that we were discriminating against disabled people. KBs dad pointed out that my wheelchair wouldn't fit past it, and that having it there was not allowed as per Viking's mobility equipment rules, which we had researched as being relevant to a wheelchair user. 

We didn't see it again. 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Leaving one in the corridor is surely a safety hazard if there is alarm, particularly at night?

There are rules about storage of the batteries (if lithium) on transport, due to the fire risk. Basically they should be disconnected and not left unnatended. My scooter's batteries detach and have a fireproof case, they aren't allowed in aircraft holds, the captain has to approve carrying them in the cabin.