Free Covid Antigen test prior to European itineraries?

alvin18

I’m currently onboard the Epic, having got on from Rome yesterday. I had spoken to NCL many times on Covid testing and had so many conflicting conversations- when we arrived at the port, they didn’t test us, they just checked our test results were negative and if we had tested the appropriate number of days before. There was a separate queue for people who didn’t have a test, but I’d say on the whole this wasn’t very busy so definitely best to test before you go. The whole process was surprisingly seamless, after a lot of worry in the lead up! 

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2022 at 6:59 PM, alvin18 said:

Is this a true statement?  I have appts to take a rapid test the day before we fly to London.  Dont want to waste $60 per tests if NCL is going to do it for free or force us to pay the company at the pier.  Maybe someone who recently started a cruise from Southampton can share their experience.  Thanks.

No way I would get on a plane without first taking a test.  I would rather pay the cost than finding out after a transoceanic flight that I could not board.

12 hours ago, Nikoladoig88 said:

I’m currently onboard the Epic, having got on from Rome yesterday. I had spoken to NCL many times on Covid testing and had so many conflicting conversations- when we arrived at the port, they didn’t test us, they just checked our test results were negative and if we had tested the appropriate number of days before. There was a separate queue for people who didn’t have a test, but I’d say on the whole this wasn’t very busy so definitely best to test before you go. The whole process was surprisingly seamless, after a lot of worry in the lead up! 

Did you test 24 hours before?  Think that is the Italy requirement currently. Very confusing for sure!  Thanks!

18 hours ago, Nikoladoig88 said:

May I ask whether the people having a test at the port received a free test, as per NCLs website.

My son is joining the Epic next week in Barcelona after staying in Barcelona for one night, and has registered for what he believes is a free test at the pier.

I tested 24 hours before, but as long as you tested in line with the timescales on the NCL website (2/3 days I think) then you were absolutely fine. There is no requirement to test to enter Spain/France/Italy/U.K. as long as you are fully vaccinated within the last 270 days or have had a booster if your vaccination was older than 270 days. NCL need you to have the booster a minimum of 14 days before boarding. The NCL website is actually incorrect, there is free testing at the port, but they do not require you to be tested if you have tested yourself (either video supervised or in a pharmacy etc). Personally I would test myself rather than not have tested and get it done at the port. I didn’t see anyone getting testing at the port, but there was a sign for it. When on board we have never been tested again, and we can get off freely in all ports. Hope this helps! 

5 hours ago, Nikoladoig88 said:

I tested 24 hours before, but as long as you tested in line with the timescales on the NCL website (2/3 days I think) then you were absolutely fine. There is no requirement to test to enter Spain/France/Italy/U.K. as long as you are fully vaccinated within the last 270 days or have had a booster if your vaccination was older than 270 days. NCL need you to have the booster a minimum of 14 days before boarding. The NCL website is actually incorrect, there is free testing at the port, but they do not require you to be tested if you have tested yourself (either video supervised or in a pharmacy etc). Personally I would test myself rather than not have tested and get it done at the port. I didn’t see anyone getting testing at the port, but there was a sign for it. When on board we have never been tested again, and we can get off freely in all ports. Hope this helps! 

Thank you! I'll be boarding the Star in Barcelona in <20 days, so I'm hoping we'll have a similar experience. Getting tested at CVS before leaving the US, and brining eMed kits with us for the flight home just in case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nikoladoig88 said:

Thank you very much for confirming the free test at the port. My son and his friend will opt for that, although they will do a home test before they travel for their own peace of mind.

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Thank you! I'll be boarding the Star in Barcelona in <20 days, so I'm hoping we'll have a similar experience. Getting tested at CVS before leaving the US, and brining eMed kits with us for the flight home just in case.

@Sailing12Away, how long were your tests good for and how long did it take to receive them? I have seen many on CC who noted that the expiration dates on pre-ordered tests were often short.  We will (fingers crossed!) be on an AUS/NZ cruise early next year.  Of course, everything may change by then, but right now I am thinking of ordering test kits for our return trip, since we plan to stay in both Sydney flying in and Auckland before flying out.  Trying to get a feel for how early to order the tests (like within the month we cruise or ?)  Thanks and have a great trip!

8 hours ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

@Sailing12Away, how long were your tests good for and how long did it take to receive them? I have seen many on CC who noted that the expiration dates on pre-ordered tests were often short.  We will (fingers crossed!) be on an AUS/NZ cruise early next year.  Of course, everything may change by then, but right now I am thinking of ordering test kits for our return trip, since we plan to stay in both Sydney flying in and Auckland before flying out.  Trying to get a feel for how early to order the tests (like within the month we cruise or ?)  Thanks and have a great trip!

Kits arrived the next business day after I ordered them. The expiration date is good until 2023, so I've got many months of life on them.

I’m still on board the Epic and spoke to NCL who said that their policy changed yesterday and now all guests must show a negative test within 24 hours before boarding and if they don’t have one then they will be tested by NCL but it will no longer be free. Some guests who boarded yesterday were caught out as they had a test 2 days before and yet they had to pay for a new one. Unsure how much. The country specific guidance on the NCL sail safe page has now been updated. The guidance seems to be ever changing! 

• Thanks 1

Just checked the NCL website and it still says the same: negative test within 2 days of departure for USA departure ports or within 3 days of departure for non-USA departure ports.  Unable to find any other time frame.  My cruise departs 5/14.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nikoladoig88 said:

Looks like the European page got updated again this morning and is now saying 72 hours- yesterday it said 24! Maybe worth a call to NCL!

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/travel-requirements-by-country

F8D866C5-A301-4D88-80A6-2E7457D34722.png

This is true, I contacted NCL today..no more free testing by NCL before boarding.  Good thing we can still get tested as we are flying out Fri and boarding Sun.  Frustrating but not gonna let this ruin our cruise!!!

I will be flying London to board getaway from Southhampton May 8,  I understand I have to get tested on this Thursday (72 hours prior), question is do I have to go to the testing sites Ncl recommends in the Test for Travel.com?  I have a testing site just round the block and it is legitimate.  Thanks,