What If?

Dolebludger

If I book a NRF or REF, I just cover my deposit, then add other coverage from my policy before I cruise  depending,  on many factors.  Personally, I hate insurance and think it is a top-off, but if I need it, I want good coverage.  Getting insurance to pay is another can of worms…so far, my policy has paid for list items and jewelry.  Pre-existing conditions can be so many things to cause a claim to be envied if not bought 10+ days after booking.  There are a variety of ways to look at insurance policies and when to buy.  All of us are different, so choose wisely.  I never purchased it when I was younger, but with Covid, and higher priced cruises, your choice/company and coverage are important.

Edited by Lastdance

On 4/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, canderson said:

Two old farts in a RS for a 13nt TA get to empty the bank account.  Ask how I know...

I'll ask!  🙂  Every bit of trip insurance info is helpful here.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:24 PM, CruiseMrB said:

We won't go on a cruise without travel insurance now. The big thing for us is not trip reimbursement, though that is nice, but medical evac and expenses. We get $1,000,000 coverage, each person.

If we lose the cruise money - usually from $1,000 to $5,000 tops - we can live without getting that back. It's not going to affect us much going forward. Getting stuck in the wrong place with a positive test and having to pay unbelievable medical, quarantine, and evacuation costs could affect our long-term financial position. No cruise is or should be worth that in our opinion.

Could you share what insurance you choose?

13 hours ago, tsarenzi said:

I'm generally not too concerned about travel insurance, since we're young and healthy, and precautions can reduce a lot of our risk, but precisely this question had me a bit worried.  I figure that Celebrity will probably keep offering refunds of our cruise if we test positive before the cruise and they don't let us on.  Less likely to continue any additional protections.  However, if we need to test within 1 day of the cruise starting, we'll already be in Europe.. and if we have to test to return to the US, we may be stuck with a new outlay for hotels and potentially higher costs for flights (though hopefully they can move the original ones).  

So, I purchased some trip insurance that does not insure the cost of the trip, but does include trip delay and quarantine coverage if we need it.  That covers what I figure are the two riskiest points - at the cruise start with cruise hopefully refunded but stuck in Europe with no hotel, or at the cruise end so the cruise already happened but again stuck in Europe with no hotel and unable to take our planned flighs.  $800-$1000 for the full coverage of the trip costs turned into $80 without that, but including the trip delay and quarantine stuff.  But we are relatively young - in our late 30s.

Same question for you.  What insurance did you choose and how do you insure for just trip delay and quarantine without adding amounts for the trip?

Like the OP, we need to insure about $10,000 worth of non-refundables for 4 people (69,64,41,38) for an extended European trip.  It's been over 10 days since we purchased the air, so we cannot get pre-existing medical.  That part of a medical policy gets dicey anyway.   No need to insure the air, now.  We know we can get air vouchers, so not worried about air.   We can also live with losing some of the non-refundables. 

Depending on if and when our trip could be interrupted, we may not end up losing any at all should we enjoy our vacation but then are held over from positive Covid testing to get back to the U.S.  The vacation part of the policy would be over.    Like others, we want to cover medical and quarantine.  Some of the least expensive, better quality hotels that we are staying in are costing $500 per night x 2 rooms.  Should we have to quarantine, that's a whole lot of $$$ adding up.  Not to mention the food.  And heaven forbid any medical expenses!

BTW- I did post on the insurance board, but then saw this thread.  More information over here.  Thank you to the OP.

LastDance - What is NRF or REF?

Edited by Iamthesea

32 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Two 70+, Royal Suite, 13 night TA, airfare, 4 nights hotel at departure city:

Prices range from $3000 to $6400, depending upon what kind of coverage is needed.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, Babr said:

If the total cost of your trip is $10,000, you should look elsewhere. Get a quote from one of the websites that sell travel insurance like insuremytrip. Yours comes in under $1,000.

We have an Alaskan Trip scheduled for July and I estimated the cost at $10,000 including the flights and our insurance for 2 of use is $962.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Two 70+, Royal Suite, 13 night TA, airfare, 4 nights hotel at departure city:

Prices range from $3000 to $6400, depending upon what kind of coverage is needed.

Bless your heart!  I guess the bar goes up over 70 years of age.  DH will be there for the next cruise.  We will just skate under that in July.  And it doesn't help when you have to cover a Royal Suite.

Vlgg731 - 

We are seeing around the same rate for the 4 of us combined going with Trawick, John Hancock and others.

Edited by Iamthesea

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Same question for you.  What insurance did you choose and how do you insure for just trip delay and quarantine without adding amounts for the trip?

I went with Seven Corners and the 'Roundtrip Elite' plan.  I found the options on the Forbes tool that I think someone else mentioned - https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/best-pandemic-travel-insurance/  When it got to the point where it asked for cancellation coverage, I picked "No" instead of "Yes, cover the cost of my trip".  (I looked at both and decided the trip costs weren't worth it given my risks).  It covers other things, and other plans had more/different coverage or less cost, but things I specifically was looking for were "Travel Delay" being at a level that should work for our stay, extension of coverage including the possibility of quarantine coverage, and "Trip Interruption" covering the return flight (though any additional payout would have only been included if I had insured the cost of the trip).  Happy that it also had medical and evacuation, and missed connection for cruises, but none of that was the deciding factor or anything I looked at too much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tsarenzi said:

I went with Seven Corners and the 'Roundtrip Elite' plan.  I found the options on the Forbes tool that I think someone else mentioned - https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/best-pandemic-travel-insurance/  When it got to the point where it asked for cancellation coverage, I picked "No" instead of "Yes, cover the cost of my trip".  (I looked at both and decided the trip costs weren't worth it given my risks).  It covers other things, and other plans had more/different coverage or less cost, but things I specifically was looking for were "Travel Delay" being at a level that should work for our stay, extension of coverage including the possibility of quarantine coverage, and "Trip Interruption" covering the return flight (though any additional payout would have only been included if I had insured the cost of the trip).  Happy that it also had medical and evacuation, and missed connection for cruises, but none of that was the deciding factor or anything I looked at too much.

Just know that trip interruption is based on the amount insured - usually 150% so if you enter $1 you get $1.50 for your return flight.

Also know that the extension means your medical and other benefits remain in force, but it does not mean that the policy will pay more than the scheduled limit for trip delay.

19 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Could you share what insurance you choose?

Like the OP, we need to insure about $10,000 worth of non-refundables for 4 people (69,64,41,38) for an extended European trip.  It's been over 10 days since we purchased the air, so we cannot get pre-existing medical.  That part of a medical policy gets dicey anyway.   No need to insure the air, now.  We know we can get air vouchers, so not worried about air.   We can also live with losing some of the non-refundables. 

Depending on if and when our trip could be interrupted, we may not end up losing any at all should we enjoy our vacation but then are held over from positive Covid testing to get back to the U.S.  The vacation part of the policy would be over.    Like others, we want to cover medical and quarantine.  Some of the least expensive, better quality hotels that we are staying in are costing $500 per night x 2 rooms.  Should we have to quarantine, that's a whole lot of $$$ adding up.  Not to mention the food.  And heaven forbid any medical expenses!

BTW- I did post on the insurance board, but then saw this thread.  More information over here.  Thank you to the OP.

LastDance - What is NRF or REF?

Whether it is refundable or not...losing 200 for NRF.  Cruises can be quite expensive so i might just book refundable, then change it to non-refundable.  The price difference can be huge with a suite for a long cruise/b2b.  There is always risk, but trying to minimize it and find that sweet point is nice.  My DH and I are older now, but in very good health.  I have an MDVIP doctor who is fantastic, but no one really knows what could happen, so it is a lot like gambling, IMHO.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 1

My question on “who would pay for quarantine should I test positive and unable to fly home” now needs to focus on the travel insurance Celebrity offers. For a 7 night Caribbean cruises I have “ghost booked” it seems to be about $600 for us. What I don’t know us, what does that cover and exclude. Does it cover Covid quarantine expenses?

The Celebrity policy is comprehensive travel coverage including medical and travel benefits. For quarantine, look at the travel delay benefits. It is the provision that will pay for hotel and meals if you are quarantined. Trip interruption will pay for return transportation - but not the private jet Celebrity was providing for a while.

Covid is treated as any other illness so you are covered for cancellation as well as all other benefits of the policy.

If you do not think the Celebrity policy offers enough for your needs or comfort level, compare it to third-party policies at one of the websites that sells from multiple companies.

25 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

My question on “who would pay for quarantine should I test positive and unable to fly home” now needs to focus on the travel insurance Celebrity offers. For a 7 night Caribbean cruises I have “ghost booked” it seems to be about $600 for us. What I don’t know us, what does that cover and exclude. Does it cover Covid quarantine expenses?

Call Steve at Tripinsurancestore.com first. He's very popular on CC and knows the industry cold. Steve is a broker for several insurance companies. Celebrity Cruise Care policy is a little thin on some categories, like medical, and evacuation expense. Tell Steve what you need, and Im sure you'll be pleased. He also has a major blog on CC about all things insurance.

image.png.2077cc794b7e094453dd0df37c605dec.png

Edited by runningtide

49 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Now you get to the interesting part, Covid expenses.  First, you need a policy for Covid, but usually these do not cover expenses unless you are under the care of a doctor and in the hospital.  Most of them do not cover a hotel.  I have done sso much research on this that I feel overloaded with information that doesn't fit what I want or need.  My response is to be very careful while navigating the waters of Covid.  I have talked with a few representatives from Insuremytrip.com.  Since my cruises are longer, with a few b2b/TA's in Europe, insurance can get pretty pricey.  Of course, we buy insurance and hope not to use it.  It is just a policy for peace of mind unless you have a special health issue.  If you need it' it can be a godsend.

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

Niw you get to the interesting part, Covid expenses.  First, you need a policy for Covid, but usually these do not cover expenses unless you are under the care of a doctor and in the hospital.  Most of them do not cover a hotel.  I have done sso much research on this that I feel overloaded with information that doesn't fit what I want or need.  My response is to be very careful while navigating the waters of Covid.  I have talked with a few representatives from Insuremytrip.com

To be clear, most policies today treat covid as any other illness, meaning if you test positive you are covered for cancellation; and, if you need treatment you are covered under the medical provision. You do not need to be in the hospital, but for cancellation you may need a doctor’s diagnosis in addition to the positive test. Check the language of the policy.

All comprehensive travel policies have a travel delay provision. That is the part that covers hotel and  meals if you are quarantined.

If you feel overwhelmed by too much information, contact Steve as recommended in the post above yours (#39). He sells fewer policies, but he and his staff know them thoroughly as well as the claims history, which is an important consideration. They can help you sort it out.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Babr said:

To be clear, most policies today treat covid as any other illness, meaning if you test positive you are covered for cancellation; and, if you need treatment you are covered under the medical provision. You do not need to be in the hospital, but for cancellation you may need a doctor’s diagnosis in addition to the positive test. Check the language of the policy.

All comprehensive travel policies have a travel delay provision. That is the part that covers hotel and  meals if you are quarantined.

If you feel overwhelmed by too much information, contact Steve as recommended in the post above yours (#39). He sells fewer policies, but he and his staff know them thoroughly as well as the claims history, which is an important consideration. They can help you sort it out. 

Yes, more and more do have Covid listed as any other illness, but if I test positive for covid on my first cruise of a b2b/TA in Italy, I have to stay for an additional 12 days, even if my symptoms are mild.  The policy for my DH and myself is over 2,000.  I have found one a little cheaper, but the coverage for 12 days will barely pay for one night.  I will try Steve and hope that he sells a policy that covers my situation and doesn't break the bank.

Thanks!  Maybe we need cheaper cabins, along with a less expensive hotel!

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

Yes, more and more do have Covid listed as any other illness, but if I test positive for covid on my first cruise of a b2b in Italy, I have to stay for an additional 12 days, even if hardly any symptoms.  The policy for my DH and myself is over 2,000.  I have found one a little cheaper, but the coverage for 12 days will barely pay for one night.  i will try Steve and hope that he sells a policy that covers my situation and doesn't break the bank.

Thanks!

There are policies with higher limits for trip delay, but there might not be one will that cover all your expenses for twelve days. IMG LX caps out at $5,000 for two people on the same policy.

Since third-party insurance is based on age as well as amount insured and length of trip, it won’t be cheap to get the maximum coverage.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:50 PM, Virginia100 said:

That was for my August 10 day Beyond trip leaving from Rome but primarily in Greece with total cost of $10,000 incl air for two; ages 70 & 72. 

If yu don't have insurance that would cover it, who do you think would cover your expenses?

19 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

If yu don't have insurance that would cover it, who do you think would cover your expenses?

I am waiting to see if celebrity’s Covid assistance plan is covered in some manner after 4/30 and thru August to see how much insurance I will need. It appears all other cruise lines are offering some level coverage . What’s not covered  I will obtain trip insurance for. It’s only another 9 days to see snd I have 3. 1/2 months to departure. 

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Depending on your state and company quarantine coverage could fall under trip interruption. 

Allianz, one of the largest and most reputable insurance companies, a policy from California, Quarantine falls under trip interruption.  

On 4/18/2022 at 5:42 PM, SusieV said:

Hopefully your travel insurance.

I am normally not a proponent of travel insurance if you're young and healthy and can afford to lose the cost of a trip. But in the current situation, I think it's prudent to have full coverage for trip delay/interruption as well as medical for this very reason among others.

Wow your insurance costs are crazy and so is travelling without it.

We live in the UK and have worldwide travel insurance for an unlimited number of trips per year up to 30 days each trip - period can be increased for a small premium. We are 75 and 74 with various medical conditions (all covered). Insurance covers cancellation due to medical, medical, trip delay and baggage. We get the insurance through our bank account (£13 a month) plus £120 lump sum for our medical conditions and age.

We each had 2 days in hospital in LA and the cost was ,💲15000 plus additional flights and hotels total cost 💲20000.

From conversations with friends in Canada and the USA we believe similar deals are available to you.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the trip interruption / cancelation coverage from the Chase Sapphire VISA card.  It covers up to $10,000.  I used it when our cruise in May 2020 was cancelled.  They covered all expenses that I did not get refunded.

1 minute ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the trip interruption / cancelation coverage from the Chase Sapphire VISA card.  It covers up to $10,000.  I used it when our cruise in May 2020 was cancelled.  They covered all expenses that I did not get refunded.

The problem with that is Chase interruption pays for prepaid nonrefundable expenses if your trip is interrupted, but it does not pay for return transportation as a comprehensive travel policy will.

Chase trip delay pays only $500 for delay caused by common carrier - no coverage for delay caused by quarantine. For the purpose of this discussion, Chase does not provide adequate coverage.

If you use it for cancellation, pay attention to the pre-existing conditions language and be sure how it applies to you.