Lactose intolerant

claudia814

Anyone have issues when you tell dietary services you’re allergic to milk and milk products? This diagnosis is new to me and this is my first cruise with it. I’m dreading passing up the ice cream and pizza. Thanks for your input. 

1 minute ago, highloyo said:

My sister and her husband take a pill prior to eating any dairy and they are fine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about this. I don’t believe it’s a prescription but over the counter. 

That’s a great idea, thank you very much. I think I love you!

Just be sure to notify your waitstaff in the dining room. Do not rely on pre-cruise mention of this to get to your waitstaff.

And if you are in the buffet, ask a supervisor there which items are safe for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, claudia814 said:

That’s a great idea, thank you very much. I think I love you!

I’ve taken many lactase pills, it’s about the dosage, how severe your intolerance  is and so on. I’d take using the pills slowly until you’re familiar with what works for you. The ship will have lactose free alternative milk, I prefer soy as I can be sure it’s lactose free, as it’s impossible to tell lactose free milk from regular milk. Sadly ships don’t generally have much in the way of lactose free desserts or ice cream. My current  pill of choice is Lactojoy, it is much higher in lactase than the alternative brands, remember to chew them with the first mouthful. 

Have just started dealing with this issue myself - and the lactase tablets work great.  I take one before breakfast, lunch and dinner if I am having ANY dairy and if I have a latte mid day I take one then too.  It's a matter of replacing what your body isn't furnishing anymore and it is very common for people to become lactose intolerant as they get older.  I haven't dropped anything from my diet and LOVE pizza and ice cream.  As long as I take the tablet before eating I have absolutely no problem.  They are cheap and available many places.  Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy!

• Like 1

I'm allergic to dairy.   For me it's actually the casein protein in dairy so lactose pills don't work for me.  I always make sure the cruise line knows ahead of time (you can do that in the app).  Then I talk to the waitstaff the first day.  They try to help me find things on the menu that first day that are already dairy free as they can only do so much modifying last minute.  And then they give me the next night's menu and I pre-order dinner (and lunch if it is a sea day and I plan to eat in the MDR).  If you skip a night in the MDR, you can stop in at some point during that evening when your dining room is open and ask for the menu to pre-order for the next day.  I did that on two occasions my last cruise.  

If you can get any guidance about what dishes may be easier to adapt dairy free, you will get a better result.  If it is a heavy dairy dish to begin with, I found they often just omitted the sauce or an important part of the dish which made it a bit bland.  If it is bit bland, don't hesitate to ask for lemon or some other condiment that might help it.  The head waiter I had on the Emerald unfortunately wasn't all that helpful in selecting dishes.  I cruise another line that marks the menu with allergens which I find makes it a lot easier to order things that I enjoy better.

On the Emerald in February, they even special made a dessert for me every night although it got very repetitive - the chef wasn't all that creative.  The sorbets or a fruit plate are also a good dessert option.

I was able to get almond or coconut milk in the International Cafe, Coffee & Cones, and even for orders I made on the app for specialty coffees.

In the buffet, you have to ask about anything you are unsure of.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ClassyApplePie said:

When ordering special coffee drinks, ask for non-dairy milk/creamer like soy or almond milk. Non- dairy milk also available in buffet, just ask. I didn't think non-dairy ice cream is available on board.

Not sure about this...sherbet?? edit: just checked on Google & "a little bit of milk" is mentioned as an ingredient. However, sorbet is fruit juice & water.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

6 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

The sorbets made on board can be particularly good - dairy free, and a new one nightly.  Keep an eye out for the chocolate and the mandarin especially. 

They have chocolate sorbet now? I have never seen chocolate on the menu. I would pay for that!

OP – do you have an intolerance or an allergy? For an allergy the pills will not work.

They are wonderful about working with special diets. I have a dairy allergy. Nightly I place my order for the next night and they make everything without dairy products for me.

When you are at the Buffet ask to speak with the chef and let the chef know about your dietary needs. The chef will walk around with you to tell you what is safe for you to eat.

if there is a Gigi’s or Alfredos then let them know and they will make you a dairy free pizza. I love it.

The international café never has anything available that is dairy free even though I was told that they are supposed to…. I give up.

Just note that regular Almond milk in hot coffee will make your coffee taste burnt.  I ask for oat or soy for hot coffees and almond for cold.

I haven’t cruised on Princess yet but other cruise lines did not have dairy free cheese for pizza.

My wife is highly lactose intolerant. The first evening, we are asked for the head waiter when we are seated. Each night he brings over the next night's menu and works with my wife to plan her dinner order. Do not be afraid to request things you like that are not on the menu.

You can follow the above for any of the buffets. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to find out if the ship I will be on in two weeks carries lactose free milk (with little luck) or if I can bring a carton with me on boarding.  I cant dring the almond milk and the taste od the substitutes just seems to ruin my coffee.  That said, the lactaid pills do work unless you overdo what contains the lactaid.  Also, not everyone has issues with all dairy products when they have an intolerance.  For example, I have no problem with cottage cheese, hard cheeses (like parmesan), milk as a small componenet used in cooking, or yogurt.  But too much pizza cheese, any ice cream, and any straight milk sets me off.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 7:30 AM, ClassyApplePie said:

When ordering special coffee drinks, ask for non-dairy milk/creamer like soy or almond milk. Non- dairy milk also available in buffet, just ask. I didn't think non-dairy ice cream is available on board.

I am lactose intolerant but only like the lactose free milk not the soy or oat 

On 5/30/2022 at 11:24 AM, jaxw17 said:

I am lactose intolerant but only like the lactose free milk not the soy or oat 

I can't recall if lactose free milk was available. We were on the Discovery in April this year & had soy in coffee at the International Cafe.

17 hours ago, ClassyApplePie said:

I can't recall if lactose free milk was available. We were on the Discovery in April this year & had soy in coffee at the International Cafe.

Thanks not keen on that it tastes sweet to me. I may bring some on with me