Travel Agent Fees

Christine4

Many of the TA's that give a big discount or big rebate want to be paid by check.. You can get a good deal with "Don't Leave Home W/O It" Platinum or Centurion Card Travel.plus rebate plus bonus points plus cruise credits.. Also, you have a big company standing behind what they sell even though only partly owned by Plat or Centurion now..  Refunds come quickly if needed.

May I suggest you should think long & hard before paying by check.  All payments should be, my opinion, credit card only.  That will protect you as a customer.  You have little if no recourse if the agency goes kaput.  Why?  You are an unsecured creditor making a check payment.

I totally agree on checking the AmEx Platinum or Centurion offers.  Our TA participates in the Signature Network which has a number of travel agencies and offers comparative (often quite better) terms & perks.  But we always ask and get an unvarnished answer on the benefits offered by AmEx vs. Network for our cruise.  Worth asking.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 8:17 PM, SohoCruiserX said:

Many of the TA's that give a big discount or big rebate want to be paid by check..

Never ever pay the TA by check.  ALL payments need to go directly to the cruise line via a credit card.  No exceptions.  Have been cruising for over 40 years and dealt in the beginning with a local one person TA and most recently with what you call the big TA's and have NEVER been asked to pay the TA directly via check always give my credit card number to the TA who phones in the credit card payment to the cruise line.

Always get two invoices; one from the cruise line confirming direct payment to them and secondly from the TA which includes the cruise fare plus all additional benefits from the TA.

• Like 8

Clarity on this subject.

The reason for the change is the posting of checks.  Constantly checks are not received although we sent them. One entire batch was lost recently.  Happening more than you can imagine. Then we have to cancel the check issue a new check. Some new guests think we are not sending what we promised to send.

Nearly all agencies offer some kind of benefit for using their services. We found out that other firms are  giving a gift on the ship rather than other types of benefits. So we thought this was a good idea and Regent agreed. From Regents point of view they probably hope this will be used as shipboard credit but that is entirely up to the guest.

This is only for Rewards under $1500. Any more than that would be too much cash in hand. 

Even if your check is under $1500 all you have to do is ask us to always send a check and it will be sent. No problem at all.

This does not have to be used as a regular shipboard credit. It is a REFUNDABLE GIFT. There was the parameter by Regent that if the guest wants cash to do that on the last day of the cruise. 

If you (a) don't use the Reward as SBC or (b) forget to get your cash then Regent will send a check directly to the guest.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 11:57 PM, Kwaj girl said:

Why SHOULD they rebate?  🤔

Why not ask a TA what incentives they offer. No offense here, but why should you ask a car dealer to sell a car for less than MSRP? Different occupations but same idea. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet you have negotiated the price of a car. Both are commissioned and rebates or lowering the price has an affect on their pay. 

Edited by lastchamp64
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lastchamp64 said:

Why not ask a TA what incentives they offer. No offense here, but why should you ask a car dealer to sell a car for less than MSRP? Different occupations but same idea. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet you have negotiated the price of a car. Both are commissioned and rebates or lowering the price has an affect on their pay. 

Agree with you @lastchamp64That should be one of the questions you ask when interviewing a new potential travel agent.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:14 AM, NCCruzQueen said:

Agree with you @lastchamp64That should be one of the questions you ask when interviewing a new potential travel agent.

Really, it’s common sense to ask——always before you purchase ask what benefits you’ll be getting from Regent and TA.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 9:29 AM, rallydave said:

The average travel agent fee to book a cruise is and should be ZERO  Don't know of any cruise lines who don't pay TA's commissions and some in double figures.

A better question might be what is the average percentage rebate for booking a cruise  Many many TA's rebate part of their commissions for booking cruises.

I'm a TA and I would never think to charge a client for the privilege of booking them on a cruise. I get compensated very well by the cruiselines. I MAY charge a client something if they cancel 8 times in 3 years.

Edited by cdcampione
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cdcampione said:

I'm a TA and I would never think to charge a client for the privilege of booking them on a cruise. I get compensated very well by the cruiselines. I MAY charge a client something if they cancel 8 times in 3 years.

I think a main question within this thread has to do with TA rebate practices. You note that you are a TA - do you provide rebates to your Regent customers?  While we can't mention or recommend any travel agency as it's against the Board rules....looks like some posters are looking.....

Edited by Kwaj girl