"Trick" to Gauging Chance of Suite (or other) Room Upgrade?

I travel full time for work and there is something to the thrill of getting flight, room and vehicle upgrades.  For giggles, I check things like the number of Comfort+ or First Class Seats still open on the Delta App to see my chances of an upgrade based on my status.  Other than doing a mock booking to see what may be available, are there any other tricks to gauging the chance?

Or, any takes our chance for upgrade?  We have a deck 10 balcony room on Ovation for the last May Alaska sailing.  We are "only" Platinum, so I am guessing very little (but how full the ship is will be a key factor).  

4 minutes ago, AeroBaldness said:

Other than doing a mock booking to see what may be available, are there any other tricks to gauging the chance?

Chances for a free upgrade are just about zero and only a bit better via Royal Up.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SRF said:

Why would they give you a free upgrade, when they can sell the upgrade?

Dunno, the its an "option" we've toggled in our Crown and Anchor account.  If rooms aren't filled, upgrades are accommodated right before sailing.  So if, say, a Jr. Suite is available and our status allows for us to move up, then someone with an inside suite could move to our balcony and so forth.

4 minutes ago, AeroBaldness said:

So if, say, a Jr. Suite is available and our status allows for us to move up, then someone with an inside suite could move to our balcony and so forth.

Yes, but RCI is not giving that away - they charge for it via Royal Up.

About the only chance at a free "upgrade" is if they move you for COVID reasons or for some reason your cabin becomes unavailable.

• Like 2

There are people onboard Wonder TA that got free upgrade from an interior cabin to an OV balcony.   

The ship is nowhere near full capacity so that definitely helps.

After you board go to guest services and ask if any upgrades are available.   Never hurts to ask, especially if your sailing is not full capacity.

Going from an OV balcony to a JS is a bit more rare than going from an int to an OV.

Totally get the flight/hotel/car upgrade thing as a former frequent flier.  Million miler but merely Gold with Delta now so the upgrade fairy isn't as kind as she was when I was Delta Diamond.

Royal Caribbean upgrades have no loyalty program component so it's entirely different compared to other travel upgrades.  The nature of cruise travel and booking patterns is also way different compared to air/hotel/car rental travel.  Cruise travel can vary one week to the next depending on a number of factors so there really is no comparison to draw from other travel upgrades. 

Before RoyalUp, every once in a while an upgrade fairy made an appearance, changing a cabin assignment (though usually people had higher status than Platinum)

People who book guarantee cabins sometimes are occasionally assigned higher categories than they purchased.  Again, not very common, especially since RoyalUp.

If you really would like to sail in a nicer cabin, watch the prices on the web.  If you see what you consider a decent price for the better cabin, pay to upgrade.  Otherwise, bid the amount the nicer cabin is worth to you on RoyalUp (if you are eligible for RoyalUp as most are).  

1 minute ago, AeroBaldness said:

I'll drop by guest services for kicks, but won't hold my breath. 

Royal Up is not available once on the ship, though you might be able to get an upgrade on the ship for around the min Royal Up bid prices if lucky.

2 hours ago, AeroBaldness said:

Dunno, the its an "option" we've toggled in our Crown and Anchor account.  If rooms aren't filled, upgrades are accommodated right before sailing.  So if, say, a Jr. Suite is available and our status allows for us to move up, then someone with an inside suite could move to our balcony and so forth.

I toggled that switch many years ago and have yet to see an upgrade. I think now that they are using the RoyalUp system where people actually pay to upgrade we will never see free ones. 

On 4/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, twangster said:

Totally get the flight/hotel/car upgrade thing as a former frequent flier.  Million miler but merely Gold with Delta now so the upgrade fairy isn't as kind as she was when I was Delta Diamond.

Yeah, Delta Diamond and Marriott Titanium has netted me some nice upgrades.  And United 1K when I was one.

Then there are the flights were Diamond cannot even get a reduced price upgrade. 😄

Currently working on 2 million on Delta, to get the lifetime Gold.  Million miler on United, which gives lifetime Gold.   Gold is nice for the use of lounges on international flights.

OP—. Google royal up and on the form that you find, put in your name and res number. There is a very good chance that there are a good number of suites open on a May Alaska cruise. Bid $20 or so over the minimums and see what happens. 

we got a  2 bedroom 2 bath suite on Ovation last summer to Alaska for $400 per person. 

also read the very long thread here on royal up’s. 

On 4/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, RosieRoo said:

I toggled that switch many years ago and have yet to see an upgrade. I think now that they are using the RoyalUp system where people actually pay to upgrade we will never see free ones. 

What and where is this “toggle” that you are speaking of?

38 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

What and where is this “toggle” that you are speaking of?

Your profile used to have settings for a number of things, including a setting for upgrades, but I believe all those settings were removed during one of the many web site "enhancements".

Edited by Biker19

Biker19 is correct in the old days there used to be a place where you could check the box if you wanted automatic upgrades. The OP said they toggled the switch so I was responding to that. It was never a “switch”,  just a box you could check off. That disappeared a while ago along with being able to choose your amenities online. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 1:27 PM, pretzlaff said:

OP—. Google royal up and on the form that you find, put in your name and res number. There is a very good chance that there are a good number of suites open on a May Alaska cruise. Bid $20 or so over the minimums and see what happens. 

we got a  2 bedroom 2 bath suite on Ovation last summer to Alaska for $400 per person. 

also read the very long thread here on royal up’s. 

Thanks!!   I'll take a look and may give this a shot.

Thanks again to all for the input.  After reading up on Royal Up (man a lot has changed when you put 8 years between cruises) between the FAQs and the MASSIVE thread, we decided to give it a shot in the dark.  Likely little chance of hitting, but we bid to go from an OV to a GS with a small bid $210 over MIN.  Based on my read of thread, there is little to no chance of hitting, but the "fun" of hoping is worth the try.  

The only "free" upgrades we have gotten from Royal was getting moved from an inside to a balcony for each leg of our upcoming back to back since they took over our rooms for Covid reasons. Wouldn't expect it or even think about it any other way. It was a total left field surprise as it was. 

Just received Royal Up from junior suite to grand suite on Brilliance of the Seas on June 5th for $220/person.  I think I will cancel my drink package, although still debating on that now.  A port intensive cruise, so drinks in the lounge each evening should be enough I would think.