We were held at gunpoint in St. Maarten!

Jodyflower

You said you thought he was upset because someone scratched his boat, did anyone scratch his boat or bump into it? Not that it justifies his actions but would explain what set him off.

For everyone that is jumping on the "oh it is dangerous in St. Martin" bandwagon take a deep breath. From the statements we've seen so far this could have happened on your local lake and was not the fault of the tour operator or the general public of St. Martin.

You have a valid point. This could have happened in any US city. Think of road rage. If someone did scratch the crazy person's boat - or this is what the crazy person thought - that is possibly enough to set off a crazy person.

We have vacationed in St Martin once on the French side and once on the Dutch side. It is one of the safest friendliest Islands anywhere, I have never heard or experienced anything negative about the island.

Sounds like this idiot was on vacation from France, I hope the local Gendermes arrest him and lock him up.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and kindness towards us...

To clarify a few things, we were on the Princess cruise lines Caribbean Princess (CB). As for the actions of the crazed man, everyone in our party was saying he just looked crazy or drunk. He was just screaming and waving that gun around and kept trying to cock it inbetween pointing it as each of us. The woman on the boat was just pacing around the side of the boat yelling in french at us and pointing to us. I am still unclear as to weather we drifted into him or he drifted into us. When he first came out, he was pointing to the side of his catamaran at the point where our boats where near his. I do not think we actally made contact with his cat though but we were sooooooo close to it - inches from it. There was also another man on the boat who my husband said was just standing there looking at us and looking "amused".

I am certainly not holding the Rhino boat tour company responsible and this might be hard to digest but I don't think people should not do this tour in the future. As another poster mentioned, this appears to be an isolated incident and the Rhino boat company took immediate action upon our return back to our starting point. They took our written statement and even the owner and his wife came down to console us and apologize and give us much needed hugs. They immediately contacted the ships to report the incident. Our guide Peter should be commended for his actions. If he became beligerent with the gun man, we probably would not be here. He also waited until we were all safely away before he left the scene.

I was a bit hesitant to even post this whole ordeal for fear it would blackmark St. Maarten, the Rhino boat company or even the French (can you believe I am partly French), but I thought it should be known and a reminder to all of us that when in a foreign country, you must always be on guard. The gunman kept yelling inbetween his french, "Americans!!". So I feel he inparticular did not like americans. But as our guide told us, maybe he didn't even live on the island, which is a true possibility.

We have not found out the outcome yet but we are actively trying to and as soon as we do, I will let everyone know.

God bless you all.

Thank you for your story. What a horrible ordeal for you and your family and thank God you are all safe. Cudos for presenting the situation in such a non-accusatory (did I just make up a word?:D ) manner. Very happy to hear that no one was physically hurt. Hope your children get over the trauma.

Well you have my attention here on a Sunday afternoon. WOW! I love St. Maarten and we will be there when we cruise on RCCL in March. I have been to St.Maarten 5 times and have always love it. Like you and others have already said you have to watch your back and be aware of your surroundings. I would not and will not boycott St. Maarten for this isolated incident. My only concern is for your children, I sincerly hope they will get through this ordeal without any further anguish. God Bless You and Your Family.

Jodyflower: you have our deepest sympathy and prayers.

We vacation in St. Martin for 10 days once or twice a year and stay at Orient Beach. They have a message board and there is seldom talk of people being threatened and nothing as horrifying as your experience. However, people are warned not to walk Orient Beach alone at night (it is pitch dark at night on the beach). We have found the people of St. Martin to be kind, pleasant, and very friendly. Taxi drivers have often told us that some very unsavory characters have moved to St. Martin from other islands. Each time we hear this it is the same island that is referenced. What happened to was disgusting and our hearts go out to you.

So sorry to hear about your familys ordeal. We have been going to St. Maartin/St. Martin for about 10 years. Have stayed on both sides of the Island and our favorite is the French side. Have never heard anything about what happened to you and your family since we have been going to the Island. Glad that all of you have come out of the situation safe. I'm sure your children will be just fine. It's a shame because now you have a bad taste of the Island, and it is really a super friendly island with wonderful shopping on both sides and restaurants.

Warm regards,

ethel in fl:eek: :) :o

Thank God, You, your Hubby and children are all OK. We just returned from St. Maarten last week on CP. We were there on 2/15. Could have been us or anybody. God was definitely watching over All of you. You have to be careful today no matter where You go! No place is 100% safe! You did a great job staying so calm during this very stressful incident. Your first thought was to protect your children and You did a terrific job! God Bless! Ike

I am so incredibly sorry this happened to you. I promise you that one day this will be a thrilling story for your children and they will not carry it with them in horror forever (long story about something similar when I was a child in the Caribbean).

I am so happy you are all OK and grateful you are alive to tell this terrible and fightening story.

After reading and re-reading your posting I'm not convinced that it's authentic. If I'm incorrect, then I apologize for reading into it. If I'm correct, then shame on you for allowing this sort of nonsense to be displayed on this forum.

dj

After reading and re-reading your posting I'm not convinced that it's authentic. If I'm incorrect, then I apologize for reading into it. If I'm correct, then shame on you for allowing this sort of nonsense to be displayed on this forum.

dj

Just my two cents here but the original poster had no reason to concoct such a story. I am sure it is legitimate and they just wanted others to always be aware of their surroundings.

I am so glad the outcome was so positive. Thanks for the heads up!

It's time for many of us to wake up, we as Americans are not very well liked in many parts of the world and it's not just in radical Muslim countries either.

Yeah, the only thing they like about us is our MONEY!! They only treat us nice because we have money to spend, and they have empty pockets for our money. Other than that, they can care less about us Americans....just like we can care less about their poor lives on a little island or in the desert for that matter.

Fausto

Yeah, the only thing they like about us is our MONEY!! They only treat us nice because we have money to spend, and they have empty pockets for our money. Other than that, they can care less about us Americans....just like we can care less about their poor lives on a little island or in the desert for that matter.

Fausto

...that is really pleasant to read.....

dj

I too have read and re-read the OP and I find it crebible. The poster is not asking that no one take the tour, nor demanding some kind of legal action. They stated the facts as they saw them and the fear they felt. I have a pretty good eye for "miremembered facts" and I just don't smell anything here that is self serving at all.

dj

More credible than a one post hit and run.

To the O.P. thanks for sharing your experience and letting us know you will tell us if you find out what the outcome was. Glad you are fine. Every country, state, city, etc. have their weirdos and we forget that bad things can happen when we think we are in paradise.

dj

drjohn1: I have been on these boards since 2004 and have found many great people, advice and tips. I have no reason to concoct such a story especially involving my children. Everyone is entitled to their opinions as well as yourself.

This is a true occurence and believe me, I wish it didn't happen. I am a bit disheartened that a first time poster would come on these boards and make such an accusation. May I ask you why you think I am not being truthful? My husband is also a cruise critic member and will attest that everything I have written is true.

May I also ask you what we have to gain by telling our story? As I posted previously, I was hesitant to even tell our story for fear of the reputation of St. Maarten, the Rhino boat company and Princess. We do not hold them responsible for our tragic encounter and are not taking any legal action, so what do we have to gain??

Wow... I am just stunned at this occurance! Obviously, I am more than grateful that you are all ok... but I can not imagine going through such a thing... I also have 2 children and this scared the heck out of me!

Thank you for sharing this story with us and reminding us to ALWAYS be mindful of our surroundings. Unfortunately, we live in a world where you can never totally let your guard down, especially when you have children to protect.

Please dont give drjohn1 even one more thought... no one else here doubts the validity of this story. It could be easily checked into if we did.

dj

LMBO!! You are the one who is hiding behind a new account to harass the OP. Nice try...... :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

Jodyflower, what a scary incident! I'm glad you and your family are ok. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

###

LMBO!! You are the one who is hiding behind a new account to harass the OP. Nice try...... :rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

Jodyflower, what a scary incident! I'm glad you and your family are ok. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

###

Could you please share with us who it is you think is hiding behind a new account??

Scott

I am so incredibly sorry this happened to you. I promise you that one day this will be a thrilling story for your children and they will not carry it with them in horror forever (long story about something similar when I was a child in the Caribbean).

I am so happy you are all OK and grateful you are alive to tell this terrible and fightening story.

Nliedel - I thank you for your words. If you would care to share, I would like to hear your story. It might comfort me to know another who experienced a horrific incident as a child and who is now an adult and made it through ok.

Although my children seem ok, I worry about the flashback memory that will inevitably run through their heads as it is mine every day. I especially worry about my son who was calm during the ordeal but he is the silent type until he gets mad, then he bursts.

Thank you.

Jodyflower, I am sorry about what happened to you and your family, as it is a truly horrifying story. I am also sorry we never got to meet on the CB last week as you may recall me from the other thread. You did however meet my son and his friend and told them of your ordeal. They were the two 18 year olds you made room for at the adult comedy show when someone was saving seats. When my son told me and my wife the story the next day and he described you as being a very nice lady from the Cape, with a son and daughter, we had a strong feeling it might be you. My wife told her sister(McTabs) and we all could not believe that something like this happened and felt so bad for you, your kids and your husband. I hope you can put this in the past and that your children will be ok. We will keep you in our prayers.

Hi Jodyflower,

This is PerculaClown. Sorry we didn't meet up on the CB. I'm really sorry to hear about your ordeal. Your story tells us that we are all connected in some way. From all of us who goes on cruises to relax and enjoy life, to the minority that thinks they own the world.

This is the world we live in, either way we need to share it all.

Just remember that what ever don't kill you only makes you stronger. Your children will be fine as they will continue to cherrish life with greater pleasures, that can only be magnified from this small event.

Continue to enjoy what life brings.

P.S. If you went to the kid's talent show, my son was the one who played the violin. So our kids probabaly crossed paths.

Archived