SilverCloud observations

MHF

Just off 8 days on the Cloud Expedition Caribbean and here are a few personal observations:

* Blacklane was slightly early for a 5 a.m. pick up

* Group transfer to Barbados Hilton at 2 was fine but hotel check-in was a mess.  Got room at 430 but some waited until after 6.   Not enough chairs.
*. Check out next morning was 11; my assigned bus did not leave until 215.  3 different lines to check paperwork, on board by 4.  Muster at 445, zodiac briefing at 530, luggage at 6. 
*. Crew worked very hard but ship appeared understaffed.  Crew almost running to get everything done.  Lines at breakfast/lunch and long waits at dinner because of not enough staff.  Forgotten items ie caviar no spoon, butter no bread, premium wine no decanter. Food not as good as on Shadow last year ie mushy prawns at the Grill, cold sauce for sole.

*. Not much pool deck space so loungers were at a premium.

*. Announcements in the suite (not hall) before every excursion and briefing.

*. Expedition meant no evening shows, no formal nights, and shore transfers were via zodiac.  Many appeared surprised by this.

*. Now at Fort Lauderdale Conrad Hilton waiting on room, along with everyone else again. 

So…would I do Expedition again?  Unlikely, not my style.

would I do door to door again? Unlikely.  The herding doesn’t work for me.  I’m going to change my Dawn cruise for January 23.  Hoping it’s the better Ss I know.

Missy in Maryland

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, MHF said:

* Expedition meant no evening shows, no formal nights, and shore transfers were via zodiac.  Many appeared surprised by this.

Thx MHF.  Appreciate you sharing.

It’s mind boggling to think people didn’t realize it was an expedition voyage.

How was the air conditioning in the heat of the Caribbean?

Thanks for sharing your Cloud experience.  Wonder if service was off due to long pause due to canceled South America (Amazon cruises) on ward to Barbados.  Safe Journey home.

15 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thx MHF.  Appreciate you sharing.

It’s mind boggling to think people didn’t realize it was an expedition voyage.

How was the air conditioning in the heat of the Caribbean?

AC did just fine.  Theatre was particularly chilly in fact.

I think a number of people were scheduled on Wind and moved to Cloud when Wind went in to be converted.   Perhaps they thought it was just a ship change.  Saw 2 couples in tuxes/gowns and many sparkley cocktail dresses.

saw shore excursions for next leg, very museum/history heavy as they go up east coast.  Think there are only 150 on instead of 220 this past one.

in hotel room at 315 after leaving ship at 10.  Some folks still sitting in lobby.  

m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with everything MHF is saying. I’m on the ship now having boarded in Barbados and continuing on to Halifax. 
Blacklane was a no show to pick us up. Sent an email 3 hrs prior to reserved time (made 3 weeks earlier). Unable to contact a real person with Blacklane, only a chat line. Chat person’s response was “your booking was unsuccessful “.

Called TA and SS. Too late for them to help. Had to scramble to get to the airport and make our flight.

Expedition staff has been great in my opinion, but the food and beverage performance has been abysmal. I’m encouraged that the reduction in passenger load on the next leg will help in that regard.

We’ll see🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @blacksmith and @MHF for your impressions. So sorry to hear about the food and the lines!  The short-staffing is really unfortunate, too; I hope it wasn't because of quarantine.

Did you receive a backpack and water bottle on the cruise? Not that I need more of those, particularly , but I'm wondering if I need to bring them along when I cruise on the Wind this month.

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Thanks for sharing your Cloud experience.  Wonder if service was off due to long pause due to canceled South America (Amazon cruises) on ward to Barbados.  Safe Journey home.

Entirely possible.  Numerous new people.  Hoping they get staffing levels up.  No plate carrying either.  on the plus, the daily red wines were very drinkable and the duck ragu was yummy.

Just disappointed by food as it was so good on Shadow last November.  Other odd examples include no berries, only melons.  Sugar donuts were out fairly quickly as were coconut macaroons.  I scooped my own ice cream!

I’m appalled that they have gone back to in-suite announcements, after our experience in Oct 2019 I thought they had committed to not doing that, especially turned up to 11! Who was the Expedition Leader. Also sorry the food was poor.

1 hour ago, FauxNom said:

Thanks @blacksmith and @MHF for your impressions. So sorry to hear about the food and the lines!  The short-staffing is really unfortunate, too; I hope it wasn't because of quarantine.

Did you receive a backpack and water bottle on the cruise? Not that I need more of those, particularly , but I'm wondering if I need to bring them along when I cruise on the Wind this month.

The backpacks and water bottles are provided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

I’m appalled that they have gone back to in-suite announcements, after our experience in Oct 2019 I thought they had committed to not doing that, especially turned up to 11! Who was the Expedition Leader. Also sorry the food was poor.

I believe it was Lea from Australia.  Liked to announce several times before each shore excursion and before evening briefing.  I mentioned it was too much in my comment card.