Celebrity Eclipse

GrandmaLinder

We were on the April 23rd cruise.   The Cruise Director is Sue Denning.  Due to the barnacle issue we missed the first day in Hilo.  But we have been to Hawaii so many times we didn’t care.  The naturalist on board is Brent Nixon.  His wife Mary Amanda also was a Beyond the Podium speaker.

The 4/23 sailing was the first cruise for Eclipse with paying customers - to me the whole cruise was a bit "off the mark" - the barnacle problem slowing down the ship - poor communications - some provisioning issues - short staff - long lines at Guest Relations etc. The second cruise of 5/4 also has been affected and communications lacking.............long lines at GR again - lots of unhappy passengers!!!!

The crew has been exceptional - very friendly and helpful but some are overworked. The ship looks clean - one elevator was closed down all of last cruise and now 2 seem to need some repairs - the soft ice cream machines are not reliable  - no Diet Coke for 3 days - periodic supply issues but nothing that can't be corrected.

Now that a couple of Alaska cruises have been cancelled (starting on 5/22) - maybe the barnacle issue will be resolved and supplies will adjusted.

35 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

The 4/23 sailing was the first cruise for Eclipse with paying customers - to me the whole cruise was a bit "off the mark" - the barnacle problem slowing down the ship - poor communications - some provisioning issues - short staff - long lines at Guest Relations etc. The second cruise of 5/4 also has been affected and communications lacking.............long lines at GR again - lots of unhappy passengers!!!!

……

We did not feel that the April23rd sailing was “off the mark.”  But we were in a suite.  Luminae was wonderful,  as were both our butler and stateroom attendant.   And the Michael’s Club folks were excellent as usual. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We did not feel that the April23rd sailing was “off the mark.”  But we were in a suite.  Luminae was wonderful,  as were both our butler and stateroom attendant.   And the Michael’s Club folks were excellent as usual. 

It is amazing the difference in experiences on the same ship. We didn't have a suite and all of the extra amenities - so that explains some / most of it. Our B3B on the Edge in an SV cabin (first time the ship was back in service and first cruises from the US) was fantastic. 

We also felt the whole cruise was "off the mark".  The poor communication regarding the barnacle issue reflects very poorly.  The captain never addressed it to the passengers during any of his remarks. Other than a joke, neither did Sue, the Cruise Director.  And $100 per cabin compensation was a joke.  With so few excursions thru the ship, there were many of us that had alternate plans on that missed day that had to be cancelled.   And, clearly the ship was understaffed. Dining staff was working all 3 meals, usually they do 2.  Seemed like cabin attendants also had more rooms to care for.   

And they really messed up on our CC Meet and Greet.  Somehow, the ship couldn't get the list of folks signed up from "shoreside" so most of us missed the M&G. Then I convinced them to hold a second but they still didn't have a full list and several of us got our "invitations" AFTER the second M&G. 

We were on the 4/23 cruise, we actually preferred the extra sea day but that was just person preference. I do think the Captain could have commented on the barnacle issue and explained why it wasn't addressed sooner.

We had a flooded bathroom after our first shower, it was fixed immediately.

The crew was amazing, some were noticeably less experienced but overall we had a fantastic cruise 

The one lingering negative for me was the menu in Blu, there used to be chicken and steak available every day but that was replaced by the Clean Cuisine. 
I would book an Alaska cruise on EC this summer of not for the testing to return to the US from Canada.

As already noted we were also on the April 23rd cruise and had a great experience.  

The only issue we had in the suite was a thermostat which wouldn’t allow us to adjust the cabin temperature.  Once mentioned to the stateroom attendant it was repaired within about 90 minutes.  

While I read the roll call I rarely posted as my perception was that there were some, not all, but some folks who were pre-disposed to what can be described as nitpicking.  And we have to understand that we were on the first passenger cruise on that ship in two years.  While there were a number of experienced staff on that ship they hadn’t “jelled” yet as a team.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

As already noted we were also on the April 23rd cruise and had a great experience.  

The only issue we had in the suite was a thermostat which wouldn’t allow us to adjust the cabin temperature.  Once mentioned to the stateroom attendant it was repaired within about 90 minutes.  

While I read the roll call I rarely posted as my perception was that there were some, not all, but some folks who were pre-disposed to what can be described as nitpicking.  And we have to understand that we were on the first passenger cruise on that ship in two years.  While there were a number of experienced staff on that ship they hadn’t “jelled” yet as a team.

Completely agree with your comments. In Blu we noticed a big difference in how they all worked together as the cruise progressed. 
I feel bad for the those who after the itinerary change was announced were determined to not have a good time.

Complaints about the weather and not enough tv channels 🤦🏼‍♀️ 

• Thanks 1

The supply chain issues are not limited to the Eclipse.  We have been k. 3 ships since the restart and there have been items that just aren’t available.  Just like the grocery stores, last week there was not any pasta.  Two weeks ago Kleenex.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Completely agree with your comments. In Blu we noticed a big difference in how they all worked together as the cruise progressed. 
I feel bad for the those who after the itinerary change was announced were determined to not have a good time.

If we are ever on another cruise together we will have to try to meet.

I just sensed from the roll call that were some, certainly not all, but some folks could not  “go with the flow.”     I found the complaints about the weather interesting too,  but was really wowed by a passenger who told me he was angry (his word not mine) that the ship wasn’t stopping at KauaI;  for those reading this Kuai was never on the itinerary.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I just sensed from the roll call that were some, certainly not all, but some folks could not  “go with the flow.”     I found the complaints about the weather interesting too,  but was really wowed by a passenger who told me he was angry (his word not mine) that the ship wasn’t stopping at KauaI;  for those reading this Kuai was never on the itinerary.

I will keep an eye out for your name 😊 

If anyone had reason to be unhappy then it would be you or your husband! Are you still enjoying your Oahu hotel?

I don't know that X has ever stopped in Kauai, at least not for the last 8 or so years..

27 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Any day on a cruise ship is a great day if you ask me. I too was on this sailing and disappointed in a few things but let’s be real…disappointment is a part of life. We don’t even need a TV in our cabin as disconnecting with everyday ‘life’ is part of our best experiences. 

Misery loves company and some just want to get others going.  

We can’t wait for our next cruising adventure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

Wait wait! Why didn’t Celebrity steer around any bad weather? They should have known!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

I will keep an eye out for your name 😊 

If anyone had reason to be unhappy then it would be you or your husband! Are you still enjoying your Oahu hotel?

I don't know that X has ever stopped in Kauai, at least not for the last 8 or so years..

We are at a hotel we have stayed at a number of times, and we are relaxed and happy.      My husband had some days in quarantine, but Celebrity treated us every well.

I am dating myself, but years ago the now departed Celebrity Century did 14 night RTs out of San Diego to Hawaii.  We only were on that itinerary once (in 2012) but Kauai was never the Century’s itinerary.  So why this guy was angry (again — his word) is beyond me.

We have a picture of Summit docked in Nawilliwilli Bay, Kauai.  Yes, years ago.  Norwegian took over the place with several ships docking in Kauai, but it didn't work out.  Pride of America still comes every week.  Other ships are returning, bur sadly not Celebrity.  

15 minutes ago, GrandmaLinder said:

Was anyone on the cruise out of Vancouver a Canadian resident.  I am trying to find out if I need to do the ArriveCan app pre boarding. The Gov of Canada website is as clear as mud on this.

Yes, you do. Check out the Canadian cruisers board for lots of good and helpful info re ArriveCan and other cruise related questions. 

• Like 1

We were also on the Eclipse on the Vancouver to Hawaii sailing in an aqua class cabin and we agree that it was disappointing.  Although we have frequented Hawaii for 40 years and visited for a few weeks earlier this year, we were disappointed to learn that we would miss or first port day in Hilo.  Our cabin experienced several maintenance issues - a safe that wouldn't lock, no hot water in the shower for two days and a television that would not turn off.  The navigation on the tv wouldn't work, the stores advertised items that were not in stock (I was looking for more warm clothes since it was so cold on the ship).  And I agree with the earlier poster about the men in Blu, we dined in the specialty restaurants several evenings because the menu as not appealing as it was previously.  The menu offered lamb and wild game more frequently than on past cruises.   

Of course, Celebrity was not responsible for the weather, nor for the fact that Kauai was not a port stop, since it was never on the itinerary.  However, it seems that this sailing was rushed without all the proper preparations. 

2 hours ago, Hawaiiatheart said:

We were also on the Eclipse on the Vancouver to Hawaii sailing in an aqua class cabin and we agree that it was disappointing.  Although we have frequented Hawaii for 40 years and visited for a few weeks earlier this year, we were disappointed to learn that we would miss or first port day in Hilo.  Our cabin experienced several maintenance issues - a safe that wouldn't lock, no hot water in the shower for two days and a television that would not turn off.  The navigation on the tv wouldn't work, the stores advertised items that were not in stock (I was looking for more warm clothes since it was so cold on the ship).  And I agree with the earlier poster about the men in Blu, we dined in the specialty restaurants several evenings because the menu as not appealing as it was previously.  The menu offered lamb and wild game more frequently than on past cruises.   

Of course, Celebrity was not responsible for the weather, nor for the fact that Kauai was not a port stop, since it was never on the itinerary.  However, it seems that this sailing was rushed without all the proper preparations. 

I believe larger ships like Eclipse cannot dock in Kaui. 

We were on the Eclipse Hawaii Apr 23 and we looked for a bridge view on the tv but couldn't find it. And am I missing something but it seems there is no "guide"  channel that shows what's on. (Guide just gives you the channels). Not that it was important but we did discover a couple good shows on the sea days that we could never find consistently (which would have been nice as we like to have appetizers and watch a bit of tv as down-time.)

11 minutes ago, ChampagneandFanfare said:

We were on the Eclipse Hawaii Apr 23 and we looked for a bridge view on the tv but couldn't find it. And am I missing something but it seems there is no "guide"  channel that shows what's on. (Guide just gives you the channels). ....

We were also on that cruise.  The April 23rd cruise was the first cruise for the Eclipse with passengers since the global suspension was implemented in March, 2020.  A few days into the cruise the bridge cam was started, but no navigation information.

I asked one of the officers about the navigation page and he used the "well, this is the first cruise " excuse,  but we have never been on a ship without it. It seems really odd that they didn't have it from day 1. The crew had been onboard since January.  ???