Live from the Getaway. London - Copenhagen 8-18 May 2022

Day 3

I've just been making some notes as I've walked around so here are some of them in no particular order. 

Masks: It seems a shame that the staff have to wear masks when almost none of the passengers are. It must be a long shift and seems a little unfair when essentially the whole of Europe is mask free. It also makes it quite hard to hear the staff sometimes. Perhaps they could move to a model where, if serving a passenger who is wearing a mask, they put one on but otherwise can be mask free. 

Canapés Part 2: There was a second serving of canapés in my cabin in the evening but as it didn't say what they were and I am allergic to seafood I couldn't risk any of them. 

Meals:  This morning I made my first foray into one of the non-buffet complimentary restaurants. The buffet is very handy and the food has been between adequate and good. Some items do better sitting under a heat lamp than others: cottage pie was nice as was a beef tip stew but a burger was less than great mostly because the bun was not fresh. I did see some people making sandwiches to take on their excursions. Not sure if that is allowed but, if it is then perhaps a Tupperware sandwich box would be useful to include in your luggage. 

So this morning I tried Savor for breakfast. Fruit salad, omelette with a side of bacon and toast. Lovely venue and the staff were very pleasant and attentive. It will cost you a little more as they add a 20% gratuity but I think I will be here most mornings. 

Tips: on the subject of tips, it would appear that tipping is not required as it is included. I am a serial over-tipper so I have been tipping $1 each time I get a drink and will leave something on the table in Savor and the speciality restaurants. But I have only seen one other person leave cash tips so, while I feel it is a nice gesture, it is definitely not required and I am pretty sure that you will get the same great service regardless. Particular shout out to Carla from Brazil in the atrium bar who has a talent for remembering people's names and drinks. 

Muster Stations: I should have mentioned on Day 1 that visiting your muster station was required as soon as you got on board. My only other cruise was in 2014 and we had to sit through a demonstration that could only start one everyone was there. Now you watch a video in the days before and then check in with your key card at your station and that's it. Very simple but you do have to do it. 

CruiseNext: I intend to take 2 cruises a year from now on so took advantage of the cruise next program. Normally this gives you on board credit in exchange for purchasing vouchers for future cruises but, as I'm not really spending much on board with no spa treatments for example this didn't really do it for me. But, for $1000 I got eight $250 vouchers that can be used in the next 4 years. You can use 1 voucher per cruise for an interior or outside cabin and 2 for balcony and above. You can also transfer them to friends or family. 

Entertainment: I went to see Million Dollar Quarter last night. The theatre was about half full and the show, while very professional, was not to my taste so I ducked out about half way through. I am a huge supported of the West End but this show was like Jersey Boys which also want to my taste. But I have no doubt that it was warmly received so don't let my tastes put anyone off. 

Pictures are my round 2 canapés, my Savor breakfast and the theatre. 

I'll have a check on the 5th floor and see if Cagney's tonight has a better class of wine list. 

103EDA3A-EA96-4114-ABCD-CE041A064C75.jpeg

0CF6D802-C310-4760-AF40-82982F2CBBE2.jpeg

F6E92539-8D00-4012-9E5B-EFA8648E9252.jpeg

33F7BC7C-9842-40AA-AD1D-CB0FBB9B978D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You mentioned a 20% gratuity at breakfast. What was that on? I’m a bit confused what you incurred a cost on.

Regarding cruisenext, it’s all the same thing anyway. You got $2,000 value for $1,000. The other version is $2,000 value for $2,000 with OBC of $1,000 which can be applied against the original purchase. It’s the same thing but they present it different ways, I assume so that they can offer it as something different.

3 minutes ago, argyll1881 said:

Hmmmmm.  Not quite sure. On the menu it said that a 20% gratuity would be added. I assumed that, although free, a fee would be added to my onboard account. 

Only if you bought anything that was chargeable, like Starbucks coffee etc. you would then get 20% added to that cost.

Assuming you didn’t get anything chargeable then there will be no charge. 🙂

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ChC said:

How do you get $2000 for $1000? Just asking. I am trying to work out, if you spend $1000 on CruiseNext, you only get $500 OBC. So value of $1500, no?

You can buy a maximum of 8 vouchers, which have a value of $2,000. You then get $125 per voucher OBC back, which totals $1,000. That makes the total cost $1,000 for $2,000 value.

• Like 1

Yes so I've spent $1000 for eight $250 vouchers for future cruises. Good business for NCL because it locks you in and good for you IF you plan on taking that many cruises in the future. 

Oh my. A friend of mine just pointed out one line of nonsense from my first post. I've re-read it all and clearly I was tired because there is some full-on autocorrect nonsense in there. Sorry 😳

• Like 1

The end of Day 3 and I had a very lazy day reading on the Boardwalk and finished my evening with dinner at Cagney's Steakhouse where the food and service were excellent. If you are on the package you could have 1) an appetizer, 2) a soup or salad, 3) an entree and 4) a dessert. There was also garlic rosemary bread brought to the table. That is a LOT of food. Pictures are of the restaurant and the very delicious but far-too-large 7-layer chocolate cake of which I struggled to eat half. 

insidecabin was asking about deck 5. I went down and it was gated off. I later asked my room steward and he said it is a quarantine deck although, were I to test positive, they'd have a struggle to get me to give up my Club Balcony room !  I didn't ask if there was anyone in it yet. Probably a wise contingency move to have it available but also would help by reducing the number of stewards required by one complete deck. 

PharGirl79 (work in a pharmacy perhaps ?) was asking about wine and there was definately a different wine list in Cagney's. It came on an iPad that they left on the table so you could filter by colour, grape, price etc. They also had a sommelier who was helping the table next to me and who graciously didn't sneer at me for ordering Pinot Grigio with Filet Steak any more than the chef did for being asked to cook it medium well. My friends refuse to go to restaurants with me, so great is the level of embarrassment I bring them apparently. 

They are just removing the gangway now as we will be on our way to Amsterdam. 

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to specifically report on. 

D1FDE782-BC5F-4936-B845-2B66FCFBD472.jpeg

446EAE7F-3CC7-4211-A7F4-E2B9501DE8B7.jpeg

F12D8216-9A74-47DF-A28E-59A31A690510.jpeg

82A71074-B42C-4FB2-8B5E-A814207C41BA.jpeg

• Like 4

@argyll1881 Thanks for taking the time to share your cruise with us.  I'm enjoying your review and photos.  We've sailed NCL many times, but only once on one of their bigger ships  -- the Breakaway last fall. Occupancy was about 38%, so I know how nice it must be for you right now with a similar number on the Getaway.

Are you planning anything post-cruise in Copenhagen?  It's a lovely city.  (Perhaps you've already been there.) 

Re the extension cord for your CPAP -- can your cabin steward get you anything longer? 

Keep enjoying your trip!

On 5/9/2022 at 7:21 AM, geleisen said:

So they took out minigolf to replace it with nothing? Was the cost of maintenance really so high? Seems cheap even for NCL...

Yup. Pretty lousy to remove it. Even though we are older/old my husband and I enjoy a competitive round of mini-golf. We were disappointed last month when we were on Getaway. Some teens we met on the elevator were not happy about it either. It was a little too cool for swimming on our trip, but warm enough for golf. Maybe NCL thought they couldn't spare a crew member to disinfect the clubs and balls between customers? We only would need to washy, washy before and after playing.  Hope they rethink this and add it back to the ship

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ChC said:

That to me sounding like spending $2,000 cash to get $3,000 in total value...Just saying. Sure you get $1,000 OBC when you purchased it, like cash back which had to be spent. Just different way to look at it. To me it is spending $2,000 to get $3,000 because you have to commit $2,000 first to get the $1,000 OBC... 

You aren't committing the $2,000 as the $1,000 comes straight off it. You are paying $1,000 out and get $2,000 of vouchers. Everything else is just marketing talk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChC said:

Ok I get you here. So they actually deduct the $1000 when you purchase it. Got you. Thanks. Never looked into this since I don't cruise with NCL that often. I always thought you had to purchase the $2,000 then they give you $1,000 OBC, did not know the OBC can pay for the vouchers during that same cruise. 

Yes, it is a point of confusion. I assume that they want people to spend it, which is why they word it the way they do. I expect that one day they will stop applying it to the purchase, but at the moment it is still done that way.

8 hours ago, ChC said:

That to me sounding like spending $2,000 cash to get $3,000 in total value...Just saying. Sure you get $1,000 OBC when you purchased it, like cash back which had to be spent. Just different way to look at it. To me it is spending $2,000 to get $3,000 because you have to commit $2,000 first to get the $1,000 OBC... 

They spin it for the with OBC marketing but as said the cost is charged to the same account.

you spend net $125 and get a $250 voucher

They also try to get you to double up, if you just fill in the form, last cruise they tried the BOGOF trick approach, I wanted 2 they put 4 on the account, annoying as it means a trip to the desk to get it fixed that could be avoided.

Even with 2 NCL cruise a year I would have gone for 4 max unless booking years ahead, they time out and you lose the cash.

Each time you cruise you top up. the benefit is the same as long as you buy at least 2.

Also with UK bookings converted to GBP this  can mean they are worth less/more in the future. 

We mix it up with other lines so spread the load and never know which will have the deals.

Princess they are refundable so lower risk to have a few sitting on the account. 

Makes sense to have deck 5 quarantine, that's where the medical is,  also frees up crew until they start filling it.

Does mean that if you book an OV GTY(when available) good chance you end up in a balcony as there are only around 30 OV not on deck 5.

1 hour ago, ChC said:

Good question. However, judging from other reports from other lines, only an area of the quarantine deck is used as quarantine facilities. Judging by the size of Getaway, I would think the more sensible approach is to have one side of the ship as quarantine cabins and the other corridor open. 

Plus, in my last cruise on NCL, the upgrade price is so cheap it is almost like free (not really but you know what I mean), I would think many people will book balcony or pay for upgrade before getting on board. The several Getaway cruises in May and June has price of OV and Balcony so close to each other it is certainly making more sense to book Balcony.

Thing is  a while back they were taking bookings on deck 5 plenty of inside and OV cabins available then they all disappeared from deck 5 and OV went to GTY, then a few that post here noted they got moved.

LIke that up to the TA back to US(not checked beyond that)

On my trip(18th)  Inside to OV was £65pp £175pp to balcony

Now it is £110 and £240

That's on top of the free at sea price hike.

Around the time I booked(before the added air discounts) they were (US prices were higher)

inside oceanview balcony
£1,599.90 £1,729.90 £1,950.90

No real need for an open corridor on deck 5 it goes nowhere just access open to the medical centre 

21 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Yup. Pretty lousy to remove it. Even though we are older/old my husband and I enjoy a competitive round of mini-golf. We were disappointed last month when we were on Getaway. Some teens we met on the elevator were not happy about it either. It was a little too cool for swimming on our trip, but warm enough for golf. Maybe NCL thought they couldn't spare a crew member to disinfect the clubs and balls between customers? We only would need to washy, washy before and after playing.  Hope they rethink this and add it back to the ship

On a Breakaway review it was mentioned that mini golf was removed to expand the ropes course. I'm assuming the same thing was done on the Getaway.

7 minutes ago, brookie848 said:

On a Breakaway review it was mentioned that mini golf was removed to expand the ropes course. I'm assuming the same thing was done on the Getaway.

Is the climbing wall also gone on the Getaway?  It's annoying that NCL continues to show photos of these attractions in their marketing of these ships when they don't exist.