Any predictions on the end to pre-cruise virus testing for US departures?

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Hopefully never. The last thing you want is an outbreak on a ship. That impacts everyone’s cruise, not just the infected person. And if an outbreak includes crew (which it always does) you impact future voyages. 

Based on current data from the CDC, I would suggest that outbreaks are already happening on nearly every ship sailing. Countless reports of service interruptions and 100's quarantined. Most people who are quarantined are reporting very mild symptoms,  yet the ship sails on because that's what ships must do.

Anyone who hopes mandates are 'never' lifted doesn't really have a handle on what is happening from a business perspective. NCL sailed with 48% occupancy Q1 of 2022 and expects (read hopes) to get to a whopping 65% occupancy in Q2..... and they do not expect to get to full loads until the first half of 2023 (that is more than a year from now). They added another billion to their debt Q1 and expect to add more debt Q2. The stock is down 50% from the beginning of the "Great Cruise Comeback" and the debt continues to grow. Financials are bleak.

Quarantining, testing mandates, and public perception are stopping people from choosing to cruise. Until these mandates are removed, the industry will continue to suffer.  The show must go on.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2022/05/10/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-nclh-q1-2022-earnin/

• Like 7

On 5/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, ontheweb said:

And the same goes for US into Canada. I saw recently that major league baseball teams going to Toronto are flying into Buffalo and then taking buses to Toronto rather than flying to avoid the testing.

It's actually the reverse, and not just MLB.  They are taking busses from Toronto to Buffalo and flying from there

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Hopefully never. The last thing you want is an outbreak on a ship. That impacts everyone’s cruise, not just the infected person. And if an outbreak includes crew (which it always does) you impact future voyages. 

I agree 100%. The less chance of anyone on board testing positive the better it is for all concerned.

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Quarantining, testing mandates, and public perception are stopping people from choosing to cruise. Until these mandates are removed, the industry will continue to suffer.  The show must go on.

Totally agree

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

I agree 100%. The less chance of anyone on board testing positive the better it is for all concerned.

Pre cruise testing does nothing whatsoever to prevent people on board from testing positive. All the testing does is discourage potential cruisers. And make more money for the test manufacturers

• Like 6

10 hours ago, geegee1 said:

It's actually the reverse, and not just MLB.  They are taking busses from Toronto to Buffalo and flying from there

No, when I first posted the Yankees were not yet in Toronto and were going there by first flying to Buffalo, and then by bus. They are now in Chicago, and I am sure the reverse is also true where they bussed to Buffalo and then flew to Chicago.

It works both ways. And I agree with you it would not only be major league baseball teams doing this. 

15 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Based on current data from the CDC, I would suggest that outbreaks are already happening on nearly every ship sailing. Countless reports of service interruptions and 100's quarantined. Most people who are quarantined are reporting very mild symptoms,  yet the ship sails on because that's what ships must do.

Anyone who hopes mandates are 'never' lifted doesn't really have a handle on what is happening from a business perspective. NCL sailed with 48% occupancy Q1 of 2022 and expects (read hopes) to get to a whopping 65% occupancy in Q2..... and they do not expect to get to full loads until the first half of 2023 (that is more than a year from now). They added another billion to their debt Q1 and expect to add more debt Q2. The stock is down 50% from the beginning of the "Great Cruise Comeback" and the debt continues to grow. Financials are bleak.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2022/05/10/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-nclh-q1-2022-earnin/

Well said, as always. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No one knows but I would guess the tests will not stop for awhile.  There has been a big uptick in Covid cases on land and cruise ships.  Just imagine not having the test and letting infected passengers on board. It just would not be smart.  We will have to live with Covid probably for a long time if not forever.  In the fall there is supposed to be another fairly large outbreak.  However maybe by next summer we can guess the Covid tests will end?  So many vaccinated people are getting mild breakthrough cases.  Its taking years with infections and vaccines but soon most of us will develop an immunity to it.  So many have had Covid and vaccinated.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, CaptainBazz said:

They are already lifted if you drive/train across the border, they are only required if you fly. Next logical step, IMO, would be to do away with the Antigen test when flying but require people to be fully vaccinated as lots of other countries are starting to do.

Passenger trains aren't currently traveling across the border.