US cruisers stranded in Europe

Tony UK

On 5/17/2022 at 8:46 AM, Tony UK said:

All this against the background of no follow up to establish the ACTUAL levels of Covid on a sailing, just the fantasy of reported cases on board. How can accurate research be done with this backdrop. 

It is US policy on travel which is causing much of the distress. I hope it changes soon to ease travel stress as it has in the UK and much of Europe. 

I agree given that COVID is everywhere and on planes that now allow no masks.

It is like in my opinion one can’t use their gas stove indoors because of fire dangers outside.

bit of a stretch but point is COVID is really everywhere and asking folks to stay away from flying and not returning home is a bit too much drama.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2022 at 9:15 AM, cangelmd said:

If you fly international from the US it is quite likely that other passengers will have Covid- at this point does it really make much sense for th e opposite to be forbidden, especially since that only reduces, does not eliminate the possibility of a carrier.

I  agree, requirement should be eliminated.  All need to take their own pre-cautions and do own risk assessment, for many it will seem too great.  Everyone wearing masks is bests, but if that can't happen, I will wear my own KN-95, probably forever and continue getting boostered.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:49 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

This "what if" scenario is not a justification for spreading COVID-19 to hundreds even thousands of others.  Countries have enacted travel restrictions to reduce the spread of COVID-19.  They have not enacted these restrictions to encumber their own citizens or other travelers.  Flaunting these rules only exacerbates the spread and deadlinness of the virus.

So I really wish someone can explain why I can book and take a cruise out of Florida to the Caribbean and come back into the United States without any testing requirement to come back to the US at all. 

It truly makes no sense . If there are to be restrictions, make them applicable to all. Not just only air flights coming into the US. 

Edited by mickeysgal
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mickeysgal said:

So I really wish someone can explain why I can book and take a cruise out of Florida to the Caribbean and come back into the United States without any testing requirement to come back to the US at all. 

It truly makes no sense . If there are to be restrictions, make them applicable to all. Not just only air flights coming into the US. 

Ask the State Department and CDC

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/covid-19-travel-information.html

On 5/16/2022 at 2:37 AM, Ommadawn said:

As to the original poster's question, I would still fly to Canada (Vancouver or Victoria) or to Mexico (Juarez), take a taxi or an Uber to the border, walk across for which you need no negative test result, and then take a cab or an Uber to the airport in Seattle or El Paso and fly home to your city in the USA. I believe that I have stated above that this is my emergency back up plan if I absolutely must return for an emergency or some such.

Yup, when you fly to Canada or Mexico, you would be in good company with lots of others in the KN95 with omicron.  It's the new real. You assume that risk when you get on a plane.  Blows me away on US domestic flights that people go unmasked trusting all the other passengers onboard who may or may not be tested/vaxxed or masked.  They either are not thinking or don't care.  When they stopped mask requirement in US, you'd think the way people acted that COVID was eradicated.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I found that interesting too.  I just discovered that if you can fly to Tijuana, Mexico that does not require a COVID test, then use the CBX bridge into San Diego.  CBX is an entry only for the people using the airport.  https://www.crossborderxpress.com/en/.   From there, the San Diego airport is only 30 min drive. 

Edited by whirlybird3
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 7:11 AM, bananavan said:

They keep you on until the final port. 
 I just had a visit from the Nurse to remove an IV line. 
She reiterated that the situation had changed so rapidly that nobody had any idea what was going to happen. 
The previous Edge passengers who tested positive for Covid did so after they disembarked. 
And the Edge was lucky,  the Odyssey had 300 persons in Covid lockdown at the end of that Transatlantic 

And to Bo, 

No, I did  not spend my days on Cruise Critic prior to this last cruise. 
We had other  things to deal with, which are nobody's business other than our own. 
When we departed there were very few other Transatlantic that had gone ahead of us. 
Until I started reading JETBLUE's account I had no idea as to the severity of the situation. 
That some of you think that you would have prevented this happening to you because you know better, I wish you the best of luck.
There were constant posts about how they were able to prevent getting covid. 
And I brought my own hand made anti viral spray and cloths to disinfect every square inch of the suite. And I had a special spray to disinfect my masks when returned to the Suite. 
And I used the Hand sanitizer along with a cloth in the Luminae to clean the salt and pepper shakers as soon as I noticed that of all items on the table, these were never changed between guests. 
So despite these precautions, we still got Covid. 
If you read various cruising posts all over there are those whose luggage got lost: 
When they post that they get the response: "We always pack a set of formal wear, casual wear, and swim wear for each of us in each of our carryon bags." In other words, these people should have anticipated losing their suitcases. 
.Where they get room for the Miss February  28 days of underwear, fruit and nut snacks in case of quarantine, back up medications in case they are stranded with covid 19, is anyone's guess. Oh and books, downloaded to the Kindle that might have also gotten lost, because who worries about losing a Kindle these days? 
I did remember to put the George Forman grill back in the garage before we departed because I decided that I probably was not going to do my normal amount of fishing off the aft balcony while we were on a Transatlantic.
I also left the blender in the kitchen because we had the Premier Drinks package. I regret that now because  I did not realize how badly I would need non stop Margaritas what with this Covid Quarantine .
If you think that you can outrun this, I am happy for you. 
We live in Florida. We were quite comfortable mixing with others over the past two years and did not develop even a runny nose. We are vaxxed and boosted. We did what we were supposed to do, according to the Public Health authorities. 
But not enough. 
The one thing I can state is that eating ones own words is rather distasteful. 
For all those who suggest we should have known better, I will be watching this space with great intensity . What else do I have to do? It is not like I have photos to catalog. 
v

You have my full support and sympathy, Banana.  I did not meet you on the cruise, but how you have been treated over your ordeal is too much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Obviously, traveling during anytime, especially during a pandemic has its risk.  Just be papered for the unexpected. I highly recommend travel insurance that included COVID coverage AND have at a minimum 14 days extra days of your daily prescription medications. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I agree given that COVID is everywhere and on planes that now allow no masks.

It is like in my opinion one can’t use their gas stove indoors because of fire dangers outside.

bit of a stretch but point is COVID is really everywhere and asking folks to stay away from flying and not returning home is a bit too much drama.

It is my understanding that flying overseas is, more often than not, a desire and not a requirement.

We are not asked to stay away from flying vs told that there are requirements to re-enter The U.S., the drama comes into play when We believe that We should not be stopped from doing what We want to do when We want to do it. How odd???

If one were to believe it is too much drama, then we need to re-consider traveling abroad until such time policy makers determine things can be loosened up. Solved or not???

In health and bon voyage

On 5/16/2022 at 9:41 PM, carolinagal said:

Update on sister and friends stuck in Amsterdam after

April 30th, TA cruise on Apex.  All eight are in the same downtown hotel and not confined to their rooms. They can eat in restaurants, tour the museums, etc.  It seems weird that they can do all this and yet they can't be isolated on a 7 hour flight back to the state. I'm thinking plastic barrier on plane to separate them from other passengers.  

This is so hard on everyone. We all just want to be normal and enjoy life.

I'm sure all the cruise companies are trying their best to stay in business, but the current situation is really, really bad. 

Good luck and safe travels to all who are about to embark on their journeys.

The US airlines might get rich if they started special COVID flights for all the people trying to get back to the States.  In the meantime, Air Canada and Mexico will get the sales boost

13 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

It is my understanding that flying overseas is, more often than not, a desire and not a requirement.

We are not asked to stay away from flying vs told that there are requirements to re-enter The U.S., the drama comes into play when We believe that We should not be stopped from doing what We want to do when We want to do it. How odd???

If one were to believe it is too much drama, then we need to re-consider traveling abroad until such time policy makers determine things can be loosened up. Solved or not???

In health and bon voyage

never said travel was a requirement.  Travel does need to be safer, and ships could keep numbers down for a few more months and planes could ask folks to continue to wear masks. 

Things are on the rise because protocols have loosened up and it is having results that make folks rethink their plans. Meanwhile lots of folks on TA on various cruise lines now are dealing with over seas isolation.  Once the airlines removed mask mandates, then ease up on flying back into USA.

I know I have kept trips to departing from USA ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

never said travel was a requirement.  Travel does need to be safer, and ships could keep numbers down for a few more months and planes could ask folks to continue to wear masks. 

Things are on the rise because protocols have loosened up and it is having results that make folks rethink their plans. Meanwhile lots of folks on TA on various cruise lines now are dealing with over seas isolation.  Once the airlines removed mask mandates, then ease up on flying back into USA.

I know I have kept trips to departing from USA ports.

Excellent point!    "ships could keep numbers down for a few more months" .  Julie

Just now, jules27556 said:

Excellent point!    "ships could keep numbers down for a few more months" .  Julie

agree but then some of them have large debt to repay.

I think masking on ships inside should be mandatory for a few more months too.

Sure wish I could turn back the clock a few years when sailing was enjoyable.  Right now some are doing it while then can and others are venturing out to see how it goes, and then a lot of us are just watching and waiting.   toodles

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, donna1009 said:

The US airlines might get rich if they started special COVID flights for all the people trying to get back to the States.  In the meantime, Air Canada and Mexico will get the sales boost

You cannot fly to Canada if you test positive for Covid ! 

On the Celebrity Website it states:   Please be aware that some ports of call do not accept a Certificate of Recovery for the purposes of debarking and enjoying the destination. 

Which ports are not accepting the Certificate of Recovery?