US cruisers stranded in Europe

Tony UK

There have been reports of those isolated on board for positive covid tests. However those from the USA travelling home still need a negative test the day prior to air travel home. Following our transatlantic there have been numerous cases of positive tests which have prevented people travelling home. Some of these tests were taken at the airport pre flight. Tears and upset and stress for those who needed to make hasty decisions about what to do next. Some travelled to other countries and are now stranded there.

Some tips which might help....much of this can be done well before travel!

1 if you are risk adverse it may not be for you right now

2 take some test kits from home to check yourself through the cruise

3 Consider a proctored test the night before your flight so you know what you are facing and can put plans into action as needs be

4. Do research into the quarantine arrangements in the country you disembark so you know what you might face

5 Do research into Hotel Air bnb etc accommodation should you need it

6.Make sure you have finance for up to 10 days extra stay if you need it.

7 Find out what your insurance will cover if the worst happens

8 Find out what happens in these circumstances with pre booked flights

9 Watch for changes they happen all the time.

10 Find out about working remotely if that is necessary because you cant get back!

Keep up to date with covid symptoms... currently just like a cold really so keep away from sneezers and sniffly noses!!

This post is intended to help. We had a blast and no issues with return to the UK for us. Saddened that many of our shipmates are stranded or had difficult and expensive journeys via Canada to get home

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

People should have plans made !.  Not currently just like a cold  as you stated' There is a lot of covid around and for some it is just sniffles but for many it is days of a fever and a nasty cough . Then exhaustion for a few weeks .  I know a few who have had it recently.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sage for sure...

Alas, those individuals have not posted here on CC, yet, as to what they are planning to or can do or how upset they are about their situation... and how they believe the rules should not apply to them because they just want to get home, etc... LOL

I can agree that some airline or cruise passengers contracted C-19 through no real fault of their own, with the exception of letting our guards down and yet they have it and did not have contingency plans in place.

I trust those who were cruising or those who were just touring outside of the U.S. - have great travel insurance to cover a situation like this, otherwise they may be in financial recovery, too, for a while... due to an unplanned health situation like this.

In health and bon voyage

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Sage for sure...

Alas, those individuals have not posted here on CC, yet, as to what they are planning to or can do or how upset they are about their situation... and how they believe the rules should not apply to them because they just want to get home, etc... LOL

I can agree that some airline or cruise passengers contracted C-19 through no real fault of their own, with the exception of letting our guards down and yet they have it and did not have contingency plans in place.

I trust those who were cruising or those who were just touring outside of the U.S. - have great travel insurance to cover a situation like this, otherwise they may be in financial recovery, too, for a while... due to an unplanned health situation like this.

In health and bon voyage

All good advise Bo.  

Curious if you could either send me privately or on this thread what type of insurance you have.   There are so many options out there and so many that have covid limitations. 

It would also be good for others to understand the changing policies of Celebrity and how the Certificate of Recovery (COR) can help minimize the impact or extended Positive Results. 

Out of an abundance of caution as we do not fly home for another 5 days (pre-planned) I applied and received a COR yesterday.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

An additional couple of items you might want to take is a thermometer and a pulse oximeter.  Even though the current strain here doesn't seem much more than a cold to most, we don't know about the other variants.  The pulse oximeter will let you know if you are in need of a hospital.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

One thing is for sure. Now is not the time to be relying on credit card benefits for travel insurance. Even the premium ones do not pay for a situation like this. 

The Trip Interruption provision would pay for prepaid unused nonrefundable expenses - not likely to be an issue once you have disembarked. It would pay for air line change fees. The Trip Delay provision pays only$500 and only for common carrier delay.

If anyone is shopping for insurance, look for the most generous benefits you can find in Trip Delay. Also look for a policy that allows for an extension so that your coverage does not end on the day of your scheduled return. 

Be prepared to pay all expenses up front and file for reimbursement once you have returned home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahh, the problem is that the US requires you to test negative to come back, where a lot of other countries have dropped this as a requirement.  Many in the travel industry has been pressuring The CDC to drop this.

Peter Greenberg was on CBS News yesterday and mentioned that people really need to get the proper travel insurance.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/what-to-know-about-summer-travel-protection-amid-covid-cancellations/#x

• Like 3

The lessons and great advice from all above, is be prepared for the worse and be happy when it doesn't happen. If you do not have the time and funds to weather a prolonged stay outside your country this may not be the right time to travel. Fortunately, we do have the time and financially we can survive a prolonged delay and we will continue to travel at our own risk. We already have lost 2 years of our prime retirement travel time and refuse to lose any more.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 16

I didnt intend to imply that Covid was just a cold...it can have very serious and long term impacts for some. The symptoms however are similar to a cold now and not being recognised by some. On our sailing people were coughing nad sneezing into their hands the eating and touching soft furnishings etc. People in Lumiae didnt wash their hands befor using the coffee machine or pouring drinks, in Oceanview very few used the excellent hand washing facility. No masks anywhere. Social distancing not practiced at all. So yes you can try to protect yourself but it will be near impossible on board. You will be lucky or unlucky. As someone said above plan for the worst and hope for the best. Just heard from a friend stranded in Dublin with a 3000 bill for a 10 day quaratine hotel. Fortunately she is well insured and they will pay up!

Another question for insurers is will they pay for your partner if 1 tests positive and the other negative!

Good luck. Thanks for the extra tips xx

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Ahh, the problem is that the US requires you to test negative to come back, where a lot of other countries have dropped this as a requirement.  Many in the travel industry has been pressuring The CDC to drop this.

Yes, this is the problem.  Pointless requirement based on an early 2020 mindset.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

In health and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

All good advise Bo.  

Curious if you could either send me privately or on this thread what type of insurance you have.   There are so many options out there and so many that have covid limitations. 

It would also be good for others to understand the changing policies of Celebrity and how the Certificate of Recovery (COR) can help minimize the impact or extended Positive Results. 

Out of an abundance of caution as we do not fly home for another 5 days (pre-planned) I applied and received a COR yesterday.  

Bo, I'd also like to know what type of insurance you have.  

Jim_Iain,  can't thank you enough for sharing your Covid experience with us.  It's been incredibly helpful.  Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in the UK and wishing you safe travels home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

Peter Greenberg was on CBS News yesterday and mentioned that people really need to get the proper travel insurance.  

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/what-to-know-about-summer-travel-protection-amid-covid-cancellations/#x

Are you suggesting that people testing positive for CoVid should be allowed on a transAtlantic flight? To possibly infect a plane full of people? That doesn't sound like the greatest solution to me. I would not want to fly knowing that some of my fellow passengers might be contagious. And yes, I know that it is possible on domestic flights but most of them are shorter. And I'm not greatly happy about that. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

All good advise Bo.  

j_i I use tripinsurancestore.com, first by using the website to find out what the 'recommended' policies available for MY concerns and before actual purchase I call and speak to one of the agents to let them know if MY concerns would be met with any particular policy.

Mind you that there have been times when I missed purchase target dates (for whatever reason LOL, like I forgot (does that count?)) and they helped me select the next best policy for the coverages I seek.

For those of us who strictly purchase travel insurance based on price and not potential covered perils, hazards, medical and etc... this option is not for you, that is until you need to make a claim and told 'sorry, not covered'. TIS will walk you through on filing ANY covered claim so you are not haplessly trying to figure out what you need to do in that process.

Worth the peace of mind, IMO - Just get and keep your documentation is the most important thing to do and they will tell you that as well, before you ever start your trip.

DISCLAIMER: Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim for travel insurance, yet I do know others who have and have used TIS to purchase and help with those claims. I have read where there are passengers who have not used TIS and have had NO issues with filing any travel related claim either. Each of our experiences will vary base on our comfort level and etc... Also, the Insurance board here on CC is a good reference point and information center, too. Not a compensated endorsement, either.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 5waldos said:

Are you suggesting that people testing positive for CoVid should be allowed on a transAtlantic flight? To possibly infect a plane full of people? That doesn't sound like the greatest solution to me. I would not want to fly knowing that some of my fellow passengers might be contagious. And yes, I know that it is possible on domestic flights but most of them are shorter. And I'm not greatly happy about that. 

I am not suggesting it, there are European countries that do not require their citizens to get tested to come back home.  I am sure if they felt that they weren't well, they would use a mask.  You have no idea right now flying on a plane who is positive because they don't have to wear a mask.  You need to take responsibility to protect yourself now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tony UK said:

There have been reports of those isolated on board for positive covid tests. However those from the USA travelling home still need a negative test the day prior to air travel home. Following our transatlantic there have been numerous cases of positive tests which have prevented people travelling home. Some of these tests were taken at the airport pre flight. Tears and upset and stress for those who needed to make hasty decisions about what to do next. Some travelled to other countries and are now stranded there.

Some tips which might help....much of this can be done well before travel!

1 if you are risk adverse it may not be for you right now

2 take some test kits from home to check yourself through the cruise

3 Consider a proctored test the night before your flight so you know what you are facing and can put plans into action as needs be

4. Do research into the quarantine arrangements in the country you disembark so you know what you might face

5 Do research into Hotel Air bnb etc accommodation should you need it

6.Make sure you have finance for up to 10 days extra stay if you need it.

7 Find out what your insurance will cover if the worst happens

8 Find out what happens in these circumstances with pre booked flights

9 Watch for changes they happen all the time.

10 Find out about working remotely if that is necessary because you cant get back!

Keep up to date with covid symptoms... currently just like a cold really so keep away from sneezers and sniffly noses!!

This post is intended to help. We had a blast and no issues with return to the UK for us. Saddened that many of our shipmates are stranded or had difficult and expensive journeys via Canada to get home

Excellent post. This is the exact reason I canceled last week before FP on my August 8 10 day Rome cruise on the beyond. I knew in a very crowded Greek islands in August my chance on testing negative at FCO for home (US) was practically nil.

Edited by Virginia100
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

I am not suggesting it, there are European countries that do not require their citizens to get tested to come back home.  I am sure if they felt that they weren't well, they would use a mask.  You have no idea right now flying on a plane who is positive because they don't have to wear a mask.  You need to take responsibility to protect yourself now.

That is true flying around the EU but "Most EU Member States require that travellers arriving from outside Europe are tested for coronavirus no more than 72 hours before departure." So flying TA in either direction seems to require a test. Flying around the EU is like flying around the US- no testing for most countries. 

And I rather wish that the mask mandate had not been dropped for domestic flights. It is easier to protect yourself if everyone is wearing masks. It puts two barriers between people- and two is better than one. And unfortunately, some people like to flaunt their non-maskness in unnecessary ways, making it more difficult for those of us who wish to be careful. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

j_i I use tripinsurancestore.com, first by using the website to find out what the 'recommended' policies available for MY concerns and before actual purchase I call and speak to one of the agents to let them know if MY concerns would be met with any particular policy.

Mind you that there have been times when I missed purchase target dates (for whatever reason LOL, like I forgot (does that count?)) and they helped me select the next best policy for the coverages I seek.

For those of us who strictly purchase travel insurance based on price and not potential covered perils, hazards, medical and etc... this option is not for you, that is until you need to make a claim and told 'sorry, not covered'. TIS will walk you through on filing ANY covered claim so you are not haplessly trying to figure out what you need to do in that process.

Worth the peace of mind, IMO - Just get and keep your documentation is the most important thing to do and they will tell you that as well, before you ever start your trip.

DISCLAIMER: Fortunately, I have never had to file a claim for travel insurance, yet I do know others who have and have used TIS to purchase and help with those claims. I have read where there are passengers who have not used TIS and have had NO issues with filing any travel related claim either. Each of our experiences will vary base on our comfort level and etc... Also, the Insurance board here on CC is a good reference point and information center, too. Not a compensated endorsement, either.

In health and bon voyage

Great information...thanks so much! 😊

...and I totally understand your disclaimer...I've had GeoBlue/Medjet in the past, both of which get top ratings and worth it IMHO simply for peace of mind and like you, never had to use either (knock on wood).  But that was pre-Covid...before quarantine.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

If you fly international from the US it is quite likely that other passengers will have Covid- at this point does it really make much sense for th e opposite to be forbidden, especially since that only reduces, does not eliminate the possibility of a carrier.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

That is true flying around the EU but "Most EU Member States require that travellers arriving from outside Europe are tested for coronavirus no more than 72 hours before departure." So flying TA in either direction seems to require a test. Flying around the EU is like flying around the US- no testing for most countries. 

Not sure where you got this information but as of May 1 most EU countries have dropped testing requirements to enter by air for non-Europe travelers, this includes US citizens, with up-to-date Covid vaccinations. If you are not up to date on vaccinations, some EU states will require a negative Covid test.

The following is the link to current Euronews.travel web site:

Where can I travel in Europe? An updated list of COVID entry rules for every European country | Euronews

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

And I rather wish that the mask mandate had not been dropped for domestic flights. It is easier to protect yourself if everyone is wearing masks. It puts two barriers between people- and two is better than one. And unfortunately, some people like to flaunt their non-maskness in unnecessary ways, making it more difficult for those of us who wish to be careful. 

I hate masks but on planes I agree, too long in close quarters. I’ll probably still wear. But travel now to Europe- no. I rebooked my August Europe cruise to September 2023. If return test is still required, Covid still pretty active, and that 1 day Italy embarkation test still required I’ll cancel again.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cadburysmom said:

Great information...thanks so much! 😊

...and I totally understand your disclaimer...I've had GeoBlue/Medjet in the past, both of which get top ratings and worth it IMHO simply for peace of mind and like you, never had to use either (knock on wood).  But that was pre-Covid...before quarantine.

Good choices for medical and additional evacuation coverage; but, as you say, they have no provision for trip interruption or trip delay that would be required for quarantine or delay to get documentation for onward travel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

All good advise Bo.  

My daughter and granddaughter will be in London and Scotland next week for a visit. I have followed your wonderful and informative live account and have passed on valuable tips to them on how to get the most of their short time there. Should the unthinkable happen  and they need a ‘Certificate of Recovery’ before returning to the US, how do they get it? 

• Like 1