US cruisers stranded in Europe

Tony UK

2 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

This isn't really a cruise-specific issue. Any US citizen who does foreign travel regardless if by land or by ship could test positive and therefore become "stranded". It's the risk you take when traveling in the middle of a pandemic.

Well, no, because as has been discussed, no testing is required for arrival by land or ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Well, no, because as has been discussed, no testing is required for arrival by land or ship.

If you are coming by land or ship you are "at" the US border, not off in a foreign country "stranded" which is what this thread is about and what I was discussing. I don't really consider Mexico or Canada "foreign" travel which are the only two countries you can enter the U.S. from by land.

14 hours ago, Tony UK said:

There have been reports of those isolated on board for positive covid tests. However those from the USA travelling home still need a negative test the day prior to air travel home. Following our transatlantic there have been numerous cases of positive tests which have prevented people travelling home. Some of these tests were taken at the airport pre flight. Tears and upset and stress for those who needed to make hasty decisions about what to do next. Some travelled to other countries and are now stranded there.

Some tips which might help....much of this can be done well before travel!

1 if you are risk adverse it may not be for you right now

2 take some test kits from home to check yourself through the cruise

3 Consider a proctored test the night before your flight so you know what you are facing and can put plans into action as needs be

4. Do research into the quarantine arrangements in the country you disembark so you know what you might face

5 Do research into Hotel Air bnb etc accommodation should you need it

6.Make sure you have finance for up to 10 days extra stay if you need it.

7 Find out what your insurance will cover if the worst happens

8 Find out what happens in these circumstances with pre booked flights

9 Watch for changes they happen all the time.

10 Find out about working remotely if that is necessary because you cant get back!

Keep up to date with covid symptoms... currently just like a cold really so keep away from sneezers and sniffly noses!!

This post is intended to help. We had a blast and no issues with return to the UK for us. Saddened that many of our shipmates are stranded or had difficult and expensive journeys via Canada to get home

#1 should be in all caps and bold. The only exception I take is to your comment that "covid symptoms... currently just like a cold really so keep away from sneezers and sniffly noses!!". This is patently untrue. I know first hand and there are still many people being hospitalized due to the different variants.

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

You do not need a test to enter the US by land or sea, only by air.  So arriving in tge US after you TA doesn’t require a test.

OMGoodness!  I did not know that!   That makes things much easier.  Thank you for responding!! Julie

45 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

My understanding is that there will be no testing if re-entry to the US is on any vessel other than an airplane. Your TA sounds great - enjoy!

When I was reading through this topic I had the immediate sense that this was the group to ask!

Thank you!  Julie

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

My understanding is that there will be no testing if re-entry to the US is on any vessel other than an airplane. Your TA sounds great - enjoy!

This is such welcomed news!  Thank you so much!  Julie

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

#1 should be in all caps and bold. The only exception I take is to your comment that "covid symptoms... currently just like a cold really so keep away from sneezers and sniffly noses!!". This is patently untrue. I know first hand and there are still many people being hospitalized due to the different variants.

My intention was to  highlight that the SYMPTOMS of the latest variants were more like a cold rather than the temp, loss of taste smell, persistent cough etc. Many people dont recognise it and think it is hayfever allergy or a cold and dont take a test. 

I didnt intend to belittle the impact of covid which or course can be serious with long term effects.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Lane412000 said:

medjetassist might be something to look into before taking a trip away from home.

I hope that we never have to use the service but we have purchased for three year increments.

I've never used them but have had a policy with them or years.   It does give a certain feeling of protection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lane412000 said:

medjetassist might be something to look into before taking a trip away from home.

I hope that we never have to use the service but we have purchased for three year increments.

We too have purchased Med Jet Horizon. We thought that the worst of our problems might be from Civil unrest. 
And yet here we are. I believe that we would have to be needing transfer to a hospital in the USA after a 5 day stay in a European  hospital. And we would have needed to have negative Covid certification to leave Italy, 
As for those who keep saying that we should have known that this would be the situation let me refresh the memories, things all changed on May 1. Both as to the rules of the Nations and the response by Celebrity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony UK said:

My intention was to  highlight that the SYMPTOMS of the latest variants were more like a cold rather than the temp, loss of taste smell, persistent cough etc. Many people dont recognise it and think it is hayfever allergy or a cold and dont take a test. 

I didnt intend to belittle the impact of covid which or course can be serious with long term effects.

MANY people have persistent cough from omicron! Many have exhaustion for weeks after. . I live in Nova Scotia which is a small place and we still have close to 100 admitted to the hospital weekly and 17 to 20 dying weekly!!

Also , masks make a huge difference. In schools where they are worn there is limited transmission but  where they are not worn covid has gotten almost every child in each class .. fast. I know as my daughter teaches in one of these schools. They did not have vomiting kids with fevers in class before the masks were dropped

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tony Uk I agree with what you say, in less than two weeks we will travel to Barcelona for four days pre cruise. I am stressed about the test which we will have to take in Barca before boarding, so I’ve booked backup accommodation for two weeks if we are denied boarding. Would be disappointed but would enjoy northern Spain and still have a holiday. Hopefully this won’t happen! Dianne

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, di T said:

Tony Uk I agree with what you say, in less than two weeks we will travel to Barcelona for four days pre cruise. I am stressed about the test which we will have to take in Barca before boarding, so I’ve booked backup accommodation for two weeks if we are denied boarding. Would be disappointed but would enjoy northern Spain and still have a holiday. Hopefully this won’t happen! Dianne

When we went to florida we took a proctored internet test with us. We did the test the earliest we could pre boarding on our phone and when we got the document an hour later we were so relieved....our holiday started then. just so much stress we could have done without. Like you we ad a back up plan just in case !

23 hours ago, 5waldos said:

Are you suggesting that people testing positive for CoVid should be allowed on a transAtlantic flight? To possibly infect a plane full of people? That doesn't sound like the greatest solution to me. I would not want to fly knowing that some of my fellow passengers might be contagious. And yes, I know that it is possible on domestic flights but most of them are shorter. And I'm not greatly happy about that. 

The reality with Omicron is that there are people on the test to return flights who are positive since even testing the day before is not a guarantee that you will not be positive and infectious 24 hours later.  

Edited by 360Guy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

The reality with Omicron is that there are people on the test to return flights who are positive since even testing the day before is not a guarantee that you will not be positive and infectious 24 hours later.  

While "testing" for being "positive" to having any strain of COVID-19 is imprecise more than 2 minutes prior to boarding, testing a day prior to travel does catch those who are infected and significantly help reduce the spread of the virus on an aircraft.  Best solution would be to test everyone just prior to embarkation.  "Day before testing" off a March TA (Sky Princess) "caught" about 20 percent of tested with the virus.  That is a significant number.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 4:49 AM, Tony UK said:

Following our transatlantic there have been numerous cases of positive tests which have prevented people travelling home.

I guess it was a good thing that we cancelled the cruise after all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tony UK said:

When we went to florida we took a proctored internet test with us. We did the test the earliest we could pre boarding on our phone and when we got the document an hour later we were so relieved....our holiday started then. just so much stress we could have done without. Like you we ad a back up plan just in case !

Not stress you could have done without...just stress you didn't wish you had to have

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

Good thing at least that much is required!

2 hours ago, 360Guy said:

"On April 4, 2021 a flight from Delhi to Hong Kong all passengers tested negative within 72 hours of departure. During the 3 week mandatory quarantine in Hong Kong 53 tested positive. This type of plane carries a maximum of 188."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thanks for posting this but, based on some of the other responses, I have questions about how this is actually being handled by Celebrity. Potential scenario....positive test on next to last day of TA cruise on APEX that started in FLL on 4/30 and ends 5/14 in Amsterdam. What can a passenger expect from Celebrity? 

Well things are changing all the time so its not that clear. It may be by then that testing wont be needed, lets hope so!

On the sailing we were on we didnt need a test to return to UK. There were limited number of proctored tests available from Celebrity for US citizens to travel home 55usd I think. However there was also lots of encouragement to use the facility at Rome airport to get a test. Of course by doing this you were off ship and no longer their resposibility other than to help with changing flights if you booked through Celebrity., If it is still in place I'd do the test whilst still on board so you can seek assistance if necessary!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Thats why it is all so difficult to understand. It seems ridiculous and pointless in many respects. It seems more about trying to rebuild confidence in cruising and get people back to sea again. Unfortunately if it is all built on smoke and mirrors people will end up feeling they had been misled into feeling safer than they actually are and it could damage the industry and make full recovery more difficult.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

Thats why it is all so difficult to understand. It seems ridiculous and pointless in many respects. It seems more about trying to rebuild confidence in cruising and get people back to sea again. Unfortunately if it is all built on smoke and mirrors people will end up feeling they had been misled into feeling safer than they actually are and it could damage the industry and make full recovery more difficult.

I agree with you and I thank you for creating the OP.  My travel partner tested positive with mild symptoms (1).  I tested negative.  I speak from firsthand knowledge and our own experience on the 4/21 Silhouette sailing.  This isn’t a sustainable model of doing business in the COVID endemic world going forward in my opinion.  If people are reading all the posts then they are better informed about the “what if” and creating their own Plan B.  If you can handle dealing with all that comes with quarantine and the country you disembark into, then factor that into your equation.  If you would rather wait until “test to return” is gone, that’s another data point.   Factor that some people will report being ill and others don’t.  Factor 90+% occupancy since “we’re sailing with fewer passengers”is rapidly approaching or has reached the end. How else would they stay in business? Educate yourselves and make your own decision.  The ability to cancel with 2 days notice for FCC ends with cruises as of 9/30/22.  Much also changed after 5/1/22 in terms of Celebrity picking up the tab for quarantine hotels or food or air deviation.  Trip insurance with COVID language would be another factor.  What has stayed so far is quarantine, free COVID related medical care and getting you home or to an offshore hospital if you are seriously ill.  You can stay onboard until you complete your quarantine and that may be attractive given the country you disembark in and their rules.  Those are my thoughts for anyone who might find this helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texed said:

I guess it was a good thing that we cancelled the cruise after all.

Like @TonyUK we successfully sailed the Edge Transatlantic. Took the proctored test in our stateroom the day before disembarking, and flew back to the US the following day. One of the best Celebrity cruises I’ve taken since starting on Mercury in 2000! 

We missed you. But thanks to your staying home, there were NO waffle shortages! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Like @TonyUK we successfully sailed the Edge Transatlantic. Took the proctored test in our stateroom the day before disembarking, and flew back to the US the following day. One of the best Celebrity cruises I’ve taken since starting on Mercury in 2000! 

We missed you. But thanks to your staying home, there were NO waffle shortages! 😉

So did the ships Internet work OK for you for the proctored testing? Thanks in advance.