Mask now required on Apex

npb

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Remember that the 3% is the threshold reporting number by the CDC color system.  There may be a higher number of infected on board.  Also consider the number of people not reporting their symptoms to medical for fear of isolation.

No good news coming from Europe and the new sub variants. https://medriva.com/breaking-the-ecdc-has-upgraded-omicron-sub-lineages-ba-4-and-ba-5-to-variants-of-concern-from-variants-of-interest-making-it-the-first-public-health-authority-to-do-so/#gs.03cc0q

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MDTrip said:

If X says there are 3% with Covid on board you can bet it is much much higher. I would guess 5-10 times higher, with people asymptomatic, people who are not reporting they are sick, and people who are pre-symptomatic. 

What is your guess?

Someone on Princess reported this concerning their transatlantic: 500 people tested for the trip back to the US.  86 positives. Nearly 20%   That's my guess for every transatlantic right now. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Someone on Princess reported this concerning their transatlantic: 500 people tested for the trip back to the US.  86 positives. Nearly 20%   That's my guess for every transatlantic right now. 

yes Wonder OTS had 3% on its trans trip recently.

18 hours ago, hcat said:

Hope they  are not carrying  more Covid back to the U,S

That used to happen annually  with the noro virus..

Hope the virus somehow peters out on the way across.

hope so to.

the Spanish flu 100 years ago was named after our USA soldiers traveled by ship for WWI.

So it did not start in Spain, but grew and spread further.

Ships over the centuries have been known for carrying disease - just the nature I guess

19 hours ago, drarill said:

Once again, it's whether one is more concerned about case counts and attempts at zero-COVID protocols aboard ship or real illness.  From that same article:

"At this time, there is no evidence of a severity difference between BA.4/BA.5 and previous Omicron lineages."

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Once again, it's whether one is more concerned about case counts and attempts at zero-COVID protocols aboard ship or real illness.  From that same article:

"At this time, there is no evidence of a severity difference between BA.4/BA.5 and previous Omicron lineages."

I totally agree with you but right now tests to embark snd return to US are not concerned with severity, just positive or negative. And these variants are far more transmissible. I wish it wasn’t so. I wish if you were boosted, twice if over 50 you showed your vaccine card snd that was it snd tests only required if not.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Agreed completely. China and North Korea has shown us that even with total fascist lockdowns, and in the case of China, CONSTANT testing, people being forced to stay in their apartments and ONLY leave for testing.... They cannot stop Omicron.

It's going to spread, that's that. Masks and distancing, if they accomplish anything at all ... at best just slow things down. It's debatable at this point of slowing things down is even advantageous if the hospital systems are not overloaded and overall severe illness levels are relatively low (thanks to prior immunity from both previous infection and vaccines).

No matter what Celebrity or any other cruise or airline else does, variants will spread the world, and that's that. Watch some videos of what it's like living in Shanghai now to get an idea of how futile it is to try and stop what is inevitable.

I'm honestly more frustrated that it looks like Celebrity is bringing masks back on at least some ships.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Keep us updated if they reinstate B2B testing if it is over this 3% threshold. 

We are on the B2B. They did NOT reinstate B2B testing.

On 5/13/2022 at 7:52 PM, VitaminSea53 said:

So - is it true that Apex is now requiring masks be worn by EVERYONE?  (as the OP insinuated )

It WAS true that masks were required of everyone for the last few days of the TA. It was not really enforced very much, but that was the policy. Now that we have started a new cruise, there is apparently no requirement or request for passengers to wear masks. We are sitting in the theatre right now for Claire Maidin’s show. From where I am sitting, I can only see a handful of passengers wearing masks (including us). 

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

hope so to.

the Spanish flu 100 years ago was named after our USA soldiers traveled by ship for WWI.

So it did not start in Spain, but grew and spread further.

Ships over the centuries have been known for carrying disease - just the nature I guess

That was before planes flew over the Ocean, now most people come by air and this is the main risk to carry something into another country. The few ships on the Transatlantic will not make a difference.