Noise level on ships

Michidoeme

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Oh, what you've read it on CC. 😂  Maybe they use an uncalibrated app that measures dB (?). So you don't know actually what the dB is based on your experience.  Your next cruise be sure to tell the band or entertainment director you don't like the music volume while standing there wearing your "Soundcore Q35 headphones in noise canceling mode". Hopefully you are noting all this on your PCS and not just CC. 

BTW, not all Harley or other motorcycle exhaust are created equally. What you find annoying is not annoying to others. I'd explain it to ya, but you still wouldn't understand.  

I’m happy to know that all the CC posters are lying about the noise.

No need to explain motorcycles.  I know some people feel the need to show off.

• Haha 1

We’ve had cruises that the volume level of music was ear shattering, just don’t know why Celebrity feels it’s necessary to blast music at these abnormal levels, who enjoys that. We have complained more than a few times.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We’ve had cruises that the volume level of music was ear shattering, just don’t know why Celebrity feels it’s necessary to blast music at these abnormal levels, who enjoys that. We have complained more than a few times.

@davekathy doesn’t believe you.

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 12:08 AM, Michidoeme said:

Being on Beyond now where music especially in theater and club is very loud.  Unfortunately we had to leave some good shows and a nice big band/jazz performance because sound level was way too high.  Also cruise director and some presenters/ performers yell very hard in microphone and nobody tones it a bit down.

As it is our first cruise after Covid, we were wondering if it is on all ships similar now.  Some of you may remember that loud music was an issue a couple of years ago which after a lot of complaints was toned down again.

We are now reconsidering a planned Transatlantic because this, combined with the irritating pulsating background noise in all venues in and outside (not even good music or songs), does not make for a relaxing onboard experience.

We love music but at not at these levels.

What is your experience on E class ?  Are S class ships better in this respect ?

No loud music problems on Sostice in late April. 2600 people on board. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wavedance said:

No loud music problems on Sostice in late April. 2600 people on board. 

Ok.  So we have a report from 1 / 2600 passengers.  When can we expect the rest to comment?

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Ok.  So we have a report from 1 / 2600 passengers.  When can we expect the rest to comment?

Sorry, I missed out on Solstice in April. But we were on Solstice last December. All venues too loud. I mentioned this to the Cruise Director as we stood in a very noisy Grand Foyer, he kind of shrugged and said “yeah, others have said that too.” Which is one way to deal with a guest’s observation - just blow it off.

I really don’t understand the compulsion to pipe (loud) music into every venue. The Main Street in our small town closes off a few blocks in the summer. Scattered picnic tables, outside seating at the cafes and restaurants, guests free to carry opened alcoholic drinks from place to place within the District. It could all be very pleasant except for the canned music loudly emanating from speakers high atop the light poles. 
Stan

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

Sorry, I missed out on Solstice in April. But we were on Solstice last December. All venues too loud. I mentioned this to the Cruise Director as we stood in a very noisy Grand Foyer, he kind of shrugged and said “yeah, others have said that too.” Which is one way to deal with a guest’s observation - just blow it off.

I really don’t understand the compulsion to pipe (loud) music into every venue. The Main Street in our small town closes off a few blocks in the summer. Scattered picnic tables, outside seating at the cafes and restaurants, guests free to carry opened alcoholic drinks from place to place within the District. It could all be very pleasant except for the canned music loudly emanating from speakers high atop the light poles. 
Stan

The canned music keeps the old people like me away.  Same with Celebrity.

Thanks.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The canned music keeps the old people like me away.  Same with Celebrity.

Thanks.

Darn. I would have enjoyed cruising with you.🤣 This old fart is looking forward to all our future cruises with Celebrity. No matter the class of ship. 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, NMTraveller said:

I think that the noise levels are due to the younger demographic that X is marketing towards.

And they will all suffer deafness at much younger ages than should be expected in one living their life surrounded by sounds below the maximum safe level of 85 decibels!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

And they will all suffer deafness at much younger ages than should be expected in one living their life surrounded by sounds below the maximum safe level of 85 decibels!

To be fair, some people say it’s not too loud.  I say it’s too loud.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

To be fair, some people say it’s not too loud.  I say it’s too loud.

If you are exposed to a level above 85 decibels for prolonged periods of time, medically speaking it is dangerous to your hearing. Fact!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baynanno1 said:

If you are exposed to a level above 85 decibels for prolonged periods of time, medically speaking it is dangerous to your hearing. Fact!

That’s why an Apple Watch is useful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, at the risk of being jumped on by several posters in this thread here goes :

We have done a heap of cruises on another line (previously related to Celebrity) and noticed the music volume creeping up during the couple of years pre-covid. On one occasion the Guest relations Manager accompanied us to a specific music venue and checked the volume with her decibel meter. It was above safe level (85) and she had it turned down to not exceed the maximum safe level for prolonged exposure.

In December we cruised on Eclipse and were amazed and impressed to see a sound technician check the volume level prior to the commencement of various sets, during which we enjoyed both listening and dancing. We don't usually go to shows, but one in particular was recommended, so we went and enjoyed the performance of the group of singers, which was also at a safe decibel level.

Back to the other line in February - after negative response from senior officers, we briefly checked out various entertainment venues, but after discovering the decibel level was consistently over the maximum safe level of 85 and at times over 100, subsequently we actively avoided entertainment venues at performance times. We will not cruise again with what had been our favourite for many years. I do feel for the bartenders who have no choice other than to be subjected to hearing damaging sound night after night. Or leave their employment - just getting that bit in before someone else does!

Hoping our October cruise on Solstice will be similar to December on Eclipse!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

They don't need to hear. Most communicate by texting. 😁

• Haha 1

Oh yes- X- ships seems to get louder by the year- Party Party Party- thats the new goal- and to attract a younger clientel.

The Martini Bars on board the Solstice Class of ships are loud, but compared to the Martini Bar on board Apex it seemed like soft music playing in funeral home.

The location of the Martini Bars on board E- Class ships are IMO rather cathastrophic. No excape from the Party - all through 3 or so decks.

The Captain deems it neccecarry to stand on bar and entertain.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh yes- X- ships seems to get louder by the year- Party Party Party- thats the new goal- and to attract a younger clientel.

The Martini Bars on board the Solstice Class of ships are loud, but compared to the Martini Bar on board Apex it seemed like soft music playing in funeral home.

The location of the Martini Bars on board E- Class ships are IMO rather cathastrophic. No excape from the Party - all through 3 or so decks.

The Captain deems it neccecarry to stand on bar and entertain.

The noise level is generally our only complaint. On one TA we went to Guest Relations and asked the lady to come to our side of the counter as we wanted to speak to her "privately" which she did. We asked a  question not related to noise and her response was "sorry I can't hear you over the music". We repeated our question and she repeated her response. We then said in a much louder voice " that's the point we are trying to make the background music is far too loud". 

After telling us it wasn't as loud her side of the counter the Guest Relations Director joined us and agreed it was very loud, informed us that the music had to be played but, crucially, that the level was controlled by the ship. The sound level was reduced for the remainder of the cruise.

We have similar issues in Al Bacio where the noise coming from the "musicians" in the Grand Foyer is often so loud that normal conversation is impossible. This particularly applies to the performers that start at around 10.30 pm and within minutes of them starting the Al Bacio is practically empty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was indeed a great idea- to act as you did. So she saw for herself. Perfectly done.

I agree- and really don´t get it- there so many venues on board this otherwise wonderful Ship ( in this case it was the Apex) why ist so important to have that Partything going on in the middle of the ship.

The crew and service where really really great- there so many great restaurants and lounges. Eden is a wonderful spot- in a few years - after the first major refits - it is quite possible that they change the interiour - away from this gastly 70´s style, with the impossible chairs and tables. One can still hope. LOL.

Is it agreed that this is a problem on all Celebrity ships?  I had complaints about the Beyond.  But I didn’t spend time in the common areas long enough to see if it was a problem.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is it agreed that this is a problem on all Celebrity ships?  I had complaints about the Beyond.  But I didn’t spend time in the common areas long enough to see if it was a problem.

I don’t agree it is a problem on all ships, as we’ve never experienced it nor heard people complain, that said we’ve never been on E class. On Equinox in September and will see if things have changed.  

• Like 2