On Eclipse, captain Leo just mandated masks indoors

On 5/13/2022 at 4:14 PM, Homestyle said:

Not great, it's a long way to come to Alaska from the UK for this. We'll consider cancelling and stay nearer to home and sail in the med 😞

We are cheating ourselves: here the majority thinks the same way.  So, what's the difference?  The US citizen cruising near home is safer than far away?  But that far away might be near your home for your cruising which is saver for you, right?  How that might be? - Imagine you and that person are on the same ship near your home: are you saver than that person only because she has a different citizenship?

2 hours ago, kirtihk said:

We are cheating ourselves: here the majority thinks the same way.  So, what's the difference?  The US citizen cruising near home is safer than far away?  But that far away might be near your home for your cruising which is saver for you, right?  How that might be? - Imagine you and that person are on the same ship near your home: are you saver than that person only because she has a different citizenship?

sorry, but I couldn't understand at all the point you are trying to make?

• Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 4:55 PM, canderson said:

As some others have suggested ... self test day before.  If positive with any symptoms at all (sniff, sniff), present yourself to medical for confirmation?

I think that is sound logic, although it is very possible that if you have symptoms and try to contact medical the day before they may not even test you then.  I would hope they would - it will be interesting to see what actually happens when someone is in that situation.  Unfortunately this approach, while sensible, doesn't help if you are asymptomatic or your symptoms haven't developed enough to show as negative, which often happens in the very beginning of an infection.

3 hours ago, kirtihk said:

In some cases, yes, if you consider ease of return to your home = 'safer'...

In other cases, no.

Really just depends if you are doing a round-trip back to the departure port...

A UK resident cruising out of Southampton can just drive home regardless of their C-19 status...

A US resident on that same cruise is going to have to jump through hoops to get clearance to board a flight home days or weeks later...

• Like 1

I am sorry, but a little condused here. (must be the grey cells) Are the cruise lines not requiring Covid shots with boosters anymore? I have recieved 8 tests now from the federal goverment can't we use those on the before and after cruise?

!basball 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, kjwinston2019 said:

I am sorry, but a little condused here. (must be the grey cells) Are the cruise lines not requiring Covid shots with boosters anymore? I have recieved 8 tests now from the federal goverment can't we use those on the before and after cruise?

!basball 2.jpg

Not on celebrity- you have to used proctored tests to get on and to fly back to US.  

48 minutes ago, kjwinston2019 said:

And most cruise lines, including Celebrity, that I’m familiar with have never required Boosters. yes Full standard vaccinations, but not boosters. And as @s0479posted, those govt supplied tests are for personal use and will not suffice since the tests for boarding must be overseen, ie proctored. We got the Celebrity advertised tests that you with on line oversight and get results back ~15min with documentation of the results. 

Im taking mine to Seattle since we will be there 3 days prior and test at the hotel; will do the same for our New Orleans departure and our Oct Roma port departure. Will test a week or so prior to flying to all those departure ports to reduce the chance of testing positive then, and will take a few extras ‘just in case’. 

welcome to vacationing during a Pandemic. 

Den

I wonder why I read so much on the Celebrity (Cruise Critic) Now I am getting worried about Staff shortages causing delays in the MDR? We have never seen to have a concern here for we always go to the Last sitting to "DINE" with each other. We don't mind waiting and enjoy alot of time with the employees. If there is a problem, we would just talk to the  Maitre'd  they always will try to make it right, I am waiting for some of the first recent reviews after April 1st to see if this staffing concern is still a problem. 

Reading other lines they seem to be in the same Boat....(no Pun intended) Has anyone else heard any other reviews on the Eclipse recent? 

IMG_1084.JPG

24 minutes ago, kjwinston2019 said:

I wonder why I read so much on the Celebrity (Cruise Critic) Now I am getting worried about Staff shortages causing delays in the MDR? We have never seen to have a concern here for we always go to the Last sitting to "DINE" with each other. We don't mind waiting and enjoy alot of time with the employees. If there is a problem, we would just talk to the  Maitre'd  they always will try to make it right, I am waiting for some of the first recent reviews after April 1st to see if this staffing concern is still a problem. 

Reading other lines they seem to be in the same Boat....(no Pun intended) Has anyone else heard any other reviews on the Eclipse recent? 

IMG_1084.JPG

I can get in and out of main dining room in less than an hour.

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

And most cruise lines, including Celebrity, that I’m familiar with have never required Boosters. yes Full standard vaccinations, but not boosters.

Require, no, but for some EU destinations they are the difference between just being 'fully vaccinated' and being 'Up to date' ...

If you are not 'Up to date' then there will be extra testing required at certain ports...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Require, no, but for some EU destinations they are the difference between just being 'fully vaccinated' and being 'Up to date' ...

If you are not 'Up to date' then there will be extra testing required at certain ports...

For my trip to Italy, the ‘Up to Date’ required a pre-test 2, then 1 and back to 2 days prior, while the ‘Fully vaccinated’ required a test at the terminal. Now both require a pre-test within 2 days prior, no difference. 

Keeps changing as each country authority change requirements. 

Den

17 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

For my trip to Italy, the ‘Up to Date’ required a pre-test 2, then 1 and back to 2 days prior, while the ‘Fully vaccinated’ required a test at the terminal. Now both require a pre-test within 2 days prior, no difference. 

Keeps changing as each country authority change requirements.

True, but where it makes a difference it is the 'Up to date' guests that will have an advantage.

29 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

True, but where it makes a difference it is the 'Up to date' guests that will have an advantage.

Understand, but for me, the point has nothing to do with what the differences in testing is, but that with a booster, I’m now better protected than with just the vaccinations, and especially when the last vaccination is 9+ months ago. 

Still need to do smart things to reduce exposure because not matter how ‘protected’ we are, we can still be infected. 

Den

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Those tests are $55 each and "fully vaccinated" guests will be expected to cover the costs.  Celebrity will cover the cost of children not yet eligible to be vaccinated

On 5/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, Fly and Sail said:

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. There is no such protocol in effect. Masks are NOT REQUIRED on board per company policy until the captain says so, based on the current number of infections.

As such I don't see the point of them announcing Covid stuff on a daily basis. Not what I want to hear on my holiday unless there is a pressing reason for it. At that point I trust the Captain and ship management to make whatever decision they feel is necessary.

I was talking more about washing hands, not jamming every last body into an elevator and general sanitary habits. From what I’ve observed on the cruises I’ve taken since the restart, those

things have gone back to “normal,” and not in a good way.

They don’t need to have a daily count, but if there is spreading infection, I think it would be helpful to let people know. I’ve been on ships where the Captain used the noon report to give Noro stats and, although it wasn’t what I wanted to hear when going to lunch, it seemed to help get things under control. Maybe people were listening; maybe it just ran its course. I don’t know….

On 5/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, Lunesse said:

Soo..... what happens to cruises that sail after May 17th?  Just the standard cancellation policy, covid or not? That's what I am reading right?

Cruise WIth Confidence still applies to cruises booked by March 31 and sailing by September 30, 2022. If you cancel up to 48 hours prior to the cruise, then you will get an FCC. I’m not quite sure what will happen if you cancel when you’re in, say, the 50% penalty phase - it “should” be an FCC for the penalty amount and a refund of what’s still refundable, but I don’t know if Celebrity see it that way.

On 5/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, kirtihk said:

If I sail from Los Angeles and test positive I can drive home and recover there. I’m not safer as far as whether or not I’ll become seriously ill, but I am a whole lot less inconvenienced and out of pocket for any quarantine expenses than I would be overseas.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:41 AM, kjwinston2019 said:

!basball 2.jpg

The cruise lines are only requiring the 2 shots, not the booster. Some countries require a booster if your final dose of the vaccine (or the only one if you got a single-shot one) is more than 270 days prior to your arrival. I don’t know if they require a second booster if you’re more than 270 days past the first one.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:41 PM, kjwinston2019 said:

!basball 2.jpg

This summer season ex Europe you are either 'up to date' = two jabs plus booster or two jabs within 270 days or 

'Fully vaccinated' two jabs more than 270 days ago, no booster'

If only Fully vaccinated you have to a) test at port at your expense and b) have multiple tests throughout the cruise at your expense 

Believe it is $55 a test 

13 hours ago, critterchick said:

... I don’t know if they require a second booster if you’re more than 270 days past the first one.

They do not.

Currently, fully vaccinated + one booster = 'Up to date'.

That can change of course, but so far at least, most EU countries have only been offering additional boosters after the first one to those in high risk groups. In the UK for example, that would be people aged 75 and over, people who live in a care home for older people, or people aged 12 and over who have a weakened immune system.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:03 PM, BEAV said:

We sailed the Edge Transatlantic April 22-May 6. Captain Costas gave Covid counts in his daily announcements. “In the interest of transparency” were his exact words. I appreciated his gesture. 

I was on the holiday sailing of the Equinox this past Jan.  The captain gave daily covid numbers. At first it was good to know, as the days wore on it was the very last thing anyone wanted to hear.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, kjwinston2019 said:

!basball 2.jpg

Absolutely not. You must be fully vaccinated and must still be tested within 2 days of boarding.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, kjwinston2019 said:

I have recieved 8 tests now from the federal goverment can't we use those on the before and after cruise?

Actually it's a bit misleading to say that you can't use them. Depending on the test you received, you can add a supervised/proctored component to the test and still use the ones you received. It is cheaper than purchasing a whole new test + proctored time slot. 

I did exactly this when returning to the US after my recent cruise on Silhouette, and it worked just fine. I got the info here on Cruise Critic on another board.

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

I was on the holiday sailing of the Equinox this past Jan.  The captain gave daily covid numbers. At first it was good to know, as the days wore on it was the very last thing anyone wanted to hear.

I could see where that would be anxiety producing for some.  I do not necessarily think they need to announce the numbers ship wide, but I do think they should be available for those who seek them out and have anxiety by NOT knowing how bad it is to gauge their behaviors so they feel safe.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two Boys Cruising said:

I could see where that would be anxiety producing for some.  I do not necessarily think they need to announce the numbers ship wide, but I do think they should be available for those who seek them out and have anxiety by NOT knowing how bad it is to gauge their behaviors so they feel safe.  

I would agree IF only one individual is allowed to disseminate the information. Otherwise it becomes a horrible game of telephone. People don't listen well, they do not read well, and they most certainly do not convey information accurately and within context. These boards are a prime example.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

I would agree IF only one individual is allowed to disseminate the information. Otherwise it becomes a horrible game of telephone. People don't listen well, they do not read well, and they most certainly do not convey information accurately and within context. These boards are a prime example.

Agree 100%